PDA

View Full Version : booth and clayton gypies

mummyatherbest
01-08-2009, 8:52 AM
hello does anyone know about the booth and clayton gypsies. i have got back to brington clayton, also some one told me there is king and queen gypsys in the family to but wasnt sure of names and dates. what was their day to day life like. how did they dress what did they look like. or if anyone as some pic that would be great. with many thanks kelly:)

earthmother
27-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Can I possibly bring a question to this thread?

I too am looking into Claytons with Romany ties - my history says that Mr Clayton was bargee, the Romany girl was a princess, and both were disowned by their families for marrying (surprisingly close to other tales I'm coming across on the web - just never in the same area).

I think I have found my couple - in Leicestershire with a nice big family on the 1881 - but if anyone can shed light on the extended family (maybe even your relative is from the same group), I'd love to hear more.

This tale was what got me into family history - I remember it being told when I was little - so to have finally (hopefully) cracked it today is great - but I'm hungry for more :D

mummyatherbest
28-08-2009, 6:31 AM
IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING ON YOUR CLAYTON SIDE HOW FAR HAVE YOU GOT? I HAVE GOT BACK TO 1760, BUT HAS FOR FINDING MUCH HISTORY THERE IS MUCH WITCH I AM SAD ABOUT. THERE IS A BOOK COMING OUT SOON ABOUT THE CLAYTONS. DO YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF THE CLAYTONS?|angel|

earthmother
28-08-2009, 9:21 AM
It sounds like you are much further back than me - I literally only found them yesterday afternoon (still doing the little jig in my head, lol :D), so have just 2 generations so far - my current eldest couple were born in the 1820-30s (there was a query over an earlier generation which was stalling me, hence what should have been simple taking ages).

I was talking to my mum about it yesterday, and she doesn't think there are any photos of that side, but we're going to spend some time with my Gran once schools back and hopefully she'll recall a little more now there are some names to prompt her memory (her mum was the last to know the language, and unfortunately didn't pass it down further, but did have a few tales).

The Clayton's being Romanies have been a total surprise to me, as our verbal history places them as non-Romany (linked to Clayton barges) who married Romany (hence the rift) - I wonder if it's two opposing families I have instead.

I'm going to scrape some money together for a PAYG sub on FMP, and hopefully get a little further, but I've got to wait until Christmas to buy any certificates, so it's still a bit pie-in-the-sky at the moment. I'll definitely look into that book at the library though - do you have a title or author?

Oh, I love a mystery :D