PDA

View Full Version : CHAMBERS and ISAACSON of Swaffham Bulbeck

dogaholic
29-07-2009, 1:37 PM
First, I have to say I'm fairly new to this so apologies if I don't give all the right information!

I am researching some of the Isaacsons of Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. I am specifically interested in Julia/Juliana Isaacson who was born in 1855 (parents Jethro and Amy). I have all the info I need about Juliana herself (my Great Grandmother via her marriage to William Crockett) but in 1871 she was working as a domestic servant at Burgh Hall for the Chambers family and in 1877 she gave birth to an illigitimate son who she named William Frederick Chambers Isaacson. Methinks there may have been some funny business below stairs!

Chambers (as he was known) was brought up by his grandmother Amy (I have his 1881 census details but can't find him in 1891 or 1901, if anyone can help?)

He married in 1908 (either Florence Harding or Sarah Hornsey) in Stratford (London, I think rather than Avon, but I could be wrong) but I have no further information on him. I would like to find out if they had any children, where they lived, what he did etc.

If anyone has a connection to this branch of the Isaacson tree I would love to hear from you.

Copper
29-07-2009, 4:27 PM
Careful quizzing of the 1911 census index gives this family

Stratford on Avon registration district

William Isaacson, age 34
Sarah Isaacson, age 23
Cyril Isaacson, age 11 months

From this you can deduce that he married Sarah Hornsey. Now you can quiz Free BMD to see if there were any other Isaacson children with a mother's maiden name Hornsey.

spison
29-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry Dogaholic,

further to my PM. I only have gone backwards and concentrated on the origins of the family through the censuses descended from either James or Thomas and Martha (1841C at Swaffham Bulbeck). I do have an obvious descendant of the family (named Chedorlaomer Ison) - but not the child of Jethro and Amy - perhaps one of their grandchildren - emigrating to Australia in the early 20th century. I'd have to rat around to find the source so let me know if you need it.

Jane

Lizzy9
29-07-2009, 11:48 PM
In 1891 he was still living with his grandmother in Swaffham, their address was High St.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1294; Folio 128; Page 8;

Lizzy9
29-07-2009, 11:51 PM
In 1901, he was lodging in Birmingham. His occupation : Bread Baker

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2850; Folio: 8; Page: 5.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 8:33 AM
Careful quizzing of the 1911 census index gives this family

Stratford on Avon registration district

William Isaacson, age 34
Sarah Isaacson, age 23
Cyril Isaacson, age 11 months

From this you can deduce that he married Sarah Hornsey. Now you can quiz Free BMD to see if there were any other Isaacson children with a mother's maiden name Hornsey.
Thank you Copper, that's really helpful. I don't suppose you can tell me the address in Stratford and/or his occupation?
I've tried Free BMD but they didn't list the mother's maiden name at that time. I'll have to take a trip to Warwick some time for Parish info.
Thanks again.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 8:39 AM
I'm sorry Dogaholic,

further to my PM. I only have gone backwards and concentrated on the origins of the family through the censuses descended from either James or Thomas and Martha (1841C at Swaffham Bulbeck). I do have an obvious descendant of the family (named Chedorlaomer Ison) - but not the child of Jethro and Amy - perhaps one of their grandchildren - emigrating to Australia in the early 20th century. I'd have to rat around to find the source so let me know if you need it.

Jane
Hi Jane,
Jethro & Amy did have a son named Chedorlaomer - an unusual name to say the least! He was born in Swaffham Bulbeck in 1849, married Emma Watts in 1871 and died in SB in 1928. I have no record of him going to Australia. Maybe yours was a grandchild as you say, maybe his own son or another relation named after him. I would be interested in the info if its not too much trouble.
Thanks a lot.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 8:46 AM
In 1891 he was still living with his grandmother in Swaffham, their address was High St.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1294; Folio 128; Page 8; .
Hi Slizzy,
In fact he is listed twice on the 1891 census with his grandmother - once at her house and again with his aunt Charlotte Day. The enumerator must have caught them during a vist.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 8:50 AM
In 1901, he was lodging in Birmingham. His occupation : Bread Baker

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2850; Folio: 8; Page: 5.
Hi again,
My only search source for the 1901 is through Genes Reunited and he doesn't come up anywhere on a search for Chambers Isaacson or William Isaacson. Is there any chance you could give me another name on the page so that I can try and find him that way - Isaacson often gets misspelt during transcription in many different ways!

Lizzy9
30-07-2009, 9:21 AM
Hi again,
My only search source for the 1901 is through Genes Reunited and he doesn't come up anywhere on a search for Chambers Isaacson or William Isaacson. Is there any chance you could give me another name on the page so that I can try and find him that way - Isaacson often gets misspelt during transcription in many different ways!

Hi,

Are you unable to find the census sheet via the source ref I gave you? Sorry, I never use GR therefore don't know whether they allow ref searches. On An* he's transcribed as William F C Isaacson. These are the other people on the same page.

Frank Worton 32 Sarah J Worton 32 Frank H Worton 5 William F C Isaacson 24 Sydney J Constable 16

They are at: All Saints Birmingham Warwickshire.

Copper
30-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I can't help with any extra information for the 1911 census as that would require me to spend money. I have no credits left and I am waiting until they allow a sub for that census.

From Sep quarter 1911 mother's maiden names are included in the GRO index. I quizzed Free BMD and did not find a birth of an Issacson with Hornsey as the mother's maiden name.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 3:15 PM
That's brilliant, thank you. As I thought, he has been transcribed as Isaackson - one of many different versions. On GR you can only search by name, so if there is an error you're stumped.

Thanks again.

dogaholic
30-07-2009, 3:16 PM
I can't help with any extra information for the 1911 census as that would require me to spend money. I have no credits left and I am waiting until they allow a sub for that census.

From Sep quarter 1911 mother's maiden names are included in the GRO index. I quizzed Free BMD and did not find a birth of an Issacson with Hornsey as the mother's maiden name.
OK Copper, thanks anyway.

spison
30-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Dogaholic,
When I transcribed this information I was at work so it was an interrupted operation at times. I am hunting for the actual source and someone out there may be able to assist but my only record is "Departures from England to Australia." I'll keep searching for the actual site.

Chedorlaomer DID come as Isaacson (not Ison) - my poor memory. I transcribed the Isaacsons for the reasons outlined in the PM.

Chedorlaomer Isaacson b. 1913 Travelled to Sydney in 1828. I didn't look for a ship as he wasn't mine. I did do a quick search of NSW BDM and found nothing but with these names he may be there. You will know the tribulations of this surname.

There were no other Isaacsons coming in the same year to Sydney. With such an unusual name he must belong to your family.

If you google his name you'll get a UK family website on the wife of the earlier Chedorlaomer.
Jane

spison
31-07-2009, 6:39 AM
Further to that

While I haven't found the source on which I originally found this emigration, it is able to be found on F*** M* P*** in the migration section. Put in the info I gave you and bingo! Hope it is OK to suggest this. If I'm not allowed to make this suggestion I'm sure a moderator will remove it.

Jane

dogaholic
09-08-2009, 8:30 AM
Hi Jane, many thanks for the further info. However, I am a little confused as to the correct dates - b.1913, emigrated 1828?? I'm assuming that they both should be 1900s and am investigating accordingly! If I'm wrong please let me know.
Thanks.

Procat
09-08-2009, 9:24 AM
Greetings all,

As the surname board is only for listing surnames I have moved this thread to the Cambridgeshire board.

spison
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
However, I am a little confused as to the correct dates - b.1913, emigrated 1828?? I'm assuming that they both should be 1900s and am investigating accordingly!

He was either VERY, VERY, VERY young or some clutz made a typo! |blush|

Yes! He came in 1928 so he was only about 15. Very intriguing.

Jane|wave|

Martin shipp
20-06-2011, 7:45 PM
I have been researching my Ship(p) family tree. My Great Gret Aunt Susannah (as known as Lucy) Ship married James Chambers who inherited and died at Burgh Hall, Swaffham Bulbeck. However before she married him, she had 4 illegimate sons with him named John, Richard. Henry and Frederick. In the 1851 Census she is listed as his housekeeper at Hillborough, Norfolk. Susannah was the daughter of an agricultural labourer, so a bit of a "rags to riches" story.

I wonder if you know the name of the father of William Frederick Chambers Isaacson? It would be interesting to see if this one of James Chambers/Susannah Ship's children. James died at Burgh Hall in 1873, so dates seem to fit.

First, I have to say I'm fairly new to this so apologies if I don't give all the right information!

I am researching some of the Isaacsons of Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. I am specifically interested in Julia/Juliana Isaacson who was born in 1855 (parents Jethro and Amy). I have all the info I need about Juliana herself (my Great Grandmother via her marriage to William Crockett) but in 1871 she was working as a domestic servant at Burgh Hall for the Chambers family and in 1877 she gave birth to an illigitimate son who she named William Frederick Chambers Isaacson. Methinks there may have been some funny business below stairs!

Chambers (as he was known) was brought up by his grandmother Amy (I have his 1881 census details but can't find him in 1891 or 1901, if anyone can help?)

He married in 1908 (either Florence Harding or Sarah Hornsey) in Stratford (London, I think rather than Avon, but I could be wrong) but I have no further information on him. I would like to find out if they had any children, where they lived, what he did etc.

If anyone has a connection to this branch of the Isaacson tree I would love to hear from you.

dogaholic
21-06-2011, 8:38 AM
Hi Martin,
An interesting story. We don't know for certain who Chamber's father was and there is a lot of supposition around the circumstances. In 1871 my great garandmother, Juliana Isaacson was on the census (as Julia) aged 16 and working as a domestic servant. The fact that she named her son (b.1877) Chambers led us to believe that the father's surname was Chambers. As she lived near Burgh Hall we assumed that was where she was working and that the father was one of the family. However, we have no proof. Mind you, James Chambers seems to have been a bit of a ladies man so anything's possible! Sorry I can't be more definite, but if you find any clue amongst famliy accounts books (if you have them) that Julia(na) Isaacson was employed there then it would make the case stronger.

DaveIs
14-01-2015, 9:32 PM
I have not done any real family history of my own (yet!), indeed I only registered to this website after being informed of this message so that I may reply, but I understand I am connected to this branch of the Isaacson family tree. I am David Isaacson, son of Stephen John Isaacson (known as John) who was born in Stratford-Upon-Avon in 1948 to Cyril Frederick Isaacson and Georgina May Isaacson (born Stairs). I believe William Frederick Chambers Isaacson was Cyril's father.

My brother, Christopher, and I and our children are the only descendants of Cyril remaining. My father was an only child and died in 1993.

My mum says she remembers both my dad and his mum saying that my dad's grandfather (William Frederick Chambers Isaacson) was a gardener. Apparently my dad said he worked at Hidcote Manor's gardens while my grandma said it wasKiftsgate Court gardens. They are both close to Startford-Upon-Avon and each other. I suppose it is possible he could have been employed at both. Hopefully they have some records that can be checked. I just glanced at their websites and Kiftsgate is now owned and gardened by someone called Anne Chambers ...

If you look at the Stratford-Upon-Avon Town Council cemetary records online it lists four Isaacsons: my father who shares a grave with his parents Cyril and Georgina, as well as Sarah Lily Isaacson who I believe was Cyril's mother. This URL is long so may not transfer well, but my search results were here: http://www.stratforduponavontowncouncil.com/cemeteryresults.php?txt_Forename=&txt_Surname=Isaacson&sel_YearStart=1964&sel_YearEnd=2014&radiobutton=Yes&sel_AgeStart=0&sel_AgeEnd=110&txt_GraveNo=&Submit=Search

I hope this is of interest and use to you. One of my daughters is very excited about finding out about this family history and we have resolved to do some more research of our own. I'm happy to answer any further questions (if I can) and update you with anything I discover.

All the best,
David.

dogaholic
15-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Hi David,
How lovely to hear from you! Today is a bit difficult for me but I will reply in full soon. Thanks for getting in contact.

dogaholic
17-01-2015, 2:36 PM
Hi again David,
I am so pleased to be able to connect with a descendent of Chambers. I don't know how much you already know but I'll tell you what I have found out.
As I mentioned in my original post WFC was born in 1877 in Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. I have visited the village and it is very picturesque. His mother was Julia or Juliana who is my great grandmother and your great great grandmother. Juliana married William Crockett (my maiden name) in 1881 having left WFC with his grandmother in Cambs. It appears that he never lived with his mother again and its possible she didn't tell her husband she had a child. However, she must have kept tabs on him as I have a group photo taken at the 1924 wedding of Juliana's nephew in which Juliana, her 2 Crockett daughters and WFC all appear. This was after William Crockett had died.
By 1901 WFC had travelled to Birmingham where he was lodging and working as a baker. Maybe he didn't like the early mornings and therefore changed his occupation to gardener, or maybe he changed occupation when he moved to Stratford. How interesting that Anne Chambers is now the owner of one of his previous places of employment - probably just a coincidence but you never know.
By 1911 he was married and living in Stratford upon Avon with his wife and baby Cyril. Did your grandfather have any brothers or sisters?
I don't know a lot more about WFC so would be interested to hear any other info you have. Do you have any photos of him? If you would like to send me a Private Message with your email address I can send you the 1924 wedding photo.
You and your daughter will soon find that researching your family tree can be very addictive! I will be happy to give you more information about Juliana and her parents, grandparents and great grandparents if you are interested and when you are ready. Briefly Juliana was the 5th of 8 children with some amazing names including Obadiah and Chedorlaomer! The next generation back had some even more unusual names including Benahad (male), Hezekiah (male), Orbed (male), Mahaler (female), Zebinah (male), Azubah (not sure) and Thirsah (female).
Hope some of this is useful for you.
Best wishes, Candy.

DaveIs
25-01-2015, 2:30 PM
Hi Candy, sorry to take so long to reply. I will send you a private message.

All the best,
David.