PDA

View Full Version : Gwyther, Richards and James of St Issells

Orielbenfro
28-07-2009, 10:14 AM
The following is for Terence who previous contacted me via pvte msge and which I have deleted in error ;
Found a little unexpected time to go to the Rec Off today, found the following
Lampeter Velfrey Baptism Register
24 Sept 1897 Gladys Mary James dau of Benjamin & Elizabeth James of the Coach & Horses a labourer baptized

St Issells Mrge Register
23 Dec 1890 Thomas James 34 Widower and Collier of Ystrad Rhondda Ystradefodwg son of George James a Collier married Margaret Gwyther aged 25 Spinster of St Issells dau of George Gwyther a Collier. Both signed in front of John James witnesses Frederick Geo Gunter and Mary Griffiths

I also note that Mary Gwyther dau of Geo Gwyther a Collier married James Griffiths at St Issells on the 08 Mar 1890.

11 July 1861 George Gwyther 27 Bach Collier of Crabhall son of Abraham Gwyther Collier married Mary Richards 20 spinster of Saundersfoot dau of David Richards a Collier. George made his mark Mary signed her name. Wittness James Callen and James Brinn.

St Issells Baptism Register
10 May 1857 Thomas son of Jane James single woman of Leys baptized
15 Sept 1855 Thomas son of David and Sarah James of Longpark Cliff Collier baptized.
07 Mar 1840 Mary to David and Mary Richards labourer of Saundersfoot baptized
31 Jan 1840 George to Abraham and Esther Gwyther of Saundersfoot Collier baptized

Lampeter Velfrey Baptism Register
07 Sept 1856 Thomas to William & Elizabeth James Lampeter Velfrey Village a Weaver baptized.

Amroth Burial
18 Aug 1856 George James of Summerhill buried aged 35 yrs

1851 Census Griffithston St Issells
Abraham Gwyther H M 42 – Pembs St Issells
Hester Gwyther W M 44 – Pembs St Issells
John Gwyther S U 14 – Pembs St Issells
George Gwyther S U 12 – Pembs St Issells
William Gwyther S U 03 – Pembs St Issells
Abraham Gwyther S U 05mths – Pembs St Issells

Rgds
Oriel Benfro

TerenceR
31-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Owen,

Message previously sent 30/7/2009

Thanks for your efforts.

You have confirmed some facts I already had.

You confirmed from the St Issells Marriage Register the marriages of Thomas James and Margaret Anne Gwyther on 23 Dec 1890 and I have a copy of the marriage certificate.

I also have the marriage certificate for George Gwyther and Mary Richards married on 11 July 1861.

I have a copy of the 1851 census showing Abraham and Hester Gwyther and their 4 sons including George.

You have found some new facts which is great.

The Amroth burial of George James in 1856 which correlates with the 1841 census showing his widow and a spreadsheet I have of pit accident deaths in Grove pit in August 1856.

The marriage of Georges daughter on 8th March 1890 is directly relevant to me and new.

The baptisms of Mary Richards and George Gwyther are also new and relevant to my tree.

The other items you found do not appear to directly relate to my Thomas James or my Gladys Mary James.

My great grandfather Thomas James was born in 1856the year his father George James was killed.

I will research some more, thanks for your help.

Regards

Terry

timjames97
15-05-2010, 4:03 PM
Hi I Note the connection with George James he was my third Grt Grandfather, killed at Grove Pit Stepaside, It was reported in the Pembrokeshire Herald in 1856. Any info your willing too share on Thomas Georges brother would be appreciated.
Cheers Tim

TerenceR
17-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Tim,

Not sure that the family's don't diverge with our common great grandfather George who was killed in 1856, and who was my 2nd great grandfather. I am not aware of his siblings only his father George. However I am willing to share whatever I know. I am interested in the connection given where you live and the fact that George d1856 had 4 children, George b1849, Philip b1851, Mary b1853 and Thomas b 4th May 1856. Thomas was my great grandfather and it seems that the family moved from Amroth to the Rhondda, Ystradfodwg, until at least 1901. The family then moved again to Bargoed where Thomas died 18 May 1911(the witness on the death certificate was his elder brother George) and the family lived in Henry Street until at least 1927. Thomas's daughter Gladys Mary James was my grandmother and she lived in Bargoed until she died in the 1970's.

The family were all miners and they seem to have been very close but I am not sure of the Caerphilly Bargoed connection. (They seem to have been friendly with a family called Gunter.)

All the best

Terry