PDA

View Full Version : Charles Benjamin Holland

Michael Holland
28-07-2009, 7:23 AM
I am trying to find information about my grandfather Charles Benjamin Holland who was born in 1886 and died in 1950. At the time of his death he was Vicar of Tadlow (Diocese of Ely). I am particularly interested to find out who his parents were, and if there was a family connection with Herbert St Barbe Holland, one-time Bishop of Wellington, and subsequently Dean of Norwich. Can anyone help?

Procat
28-07-2009, 7:30 AM
Greetings Michael,

FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/) has only the one birth for a Charles Benjamin Holland for your time frame.

Births Dec Quarter 1886, Ecclesall B 9c 363.

Do you have details of his marriage certificate? If so, purchase the birth certificate and cross reference against the name and occupation of the father on both documents.

Beaten by a Bat - again. :)

Astoria
28-07-2009, 7:34 AM
If you order his birth certificate it will give you his parents names, this looks like him, found on FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/)

Charles Benjamin HOLLAND

Dec 1886 Ecclesal B - 9c 363 the B is for Bierlow, located Derbyshire - West Riding of Yorkshire boundary.

The certificate can be ordered online from here (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) |wave|

suemalings
28-07-2009, 7:34 AM
1891 census:

Charles M Holland, born abt 1847 Sheffield - Iron Merchants Manager
Mary E b abt 1849 Sheffield
Florence m b abt 1873 Sheffield
Ermest M b abt 1875 Sheffield
Charles B b abt 1887 Sheffield

suemalings
28-07-2009, 7:36 AM
Forgot to add address: 12 Lawson Road, Ecclesall Bierlow

Procat
28-07-2009, 7:37 AM
Gosh you two are bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, we agree then :D

Far less embarrassing than not getting the same information. :D

suemalings
28-07-2009, 7:52 AM
Herbert St Barbe Holland was born in Durham. His father was William Lyle Holland who was born in Kent.

Do you have access to census returns? If so you can trace William and Herbts, along with Williams brothers and sisters.

If you do not have access, let us know and someone will list them for you.

Michael Holland
29-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Thankyou to all those who responded to my original request! I am blown away by the response, and now feel I have something to work on.:):):):)
However, I'm not very good at this, so would appreciate and further assistance that might be given in tracing Herbert St Barbe's ancestry, and also the parents of Charles Benjamin Holland to see if at any stage they intersect.
I have now suscribed to a genealogy programme so that I can search Census returns etc. but I'm on a steep learning curve as I try to figure out how to go about this.

v.wells
29-07-2009, 3:19 AM
You need the certificates to determine proper names. The marriage cert will give father's names. Birth certs give both parents names and exact dob. As Suemallings says now that you have a subscription to a genie site you will be able to start tracing the brothers and sisters, the parents (each of them) and their families and see who intersects where.

You'll get the hang of it searching backwards and ahead and sideways:)

I had a look at my Holland's but they were all from Devon - sorry!