PDA

View Full Version : Clapham History

richard horner
16-03-2005, 12:58 AM
This is one very long shot-so here goes. i am researching the HORNER Family who moved from Norfolk to 79/81 High Street Clapham in 1871. James Francis was the Head and he was a Watchmaker. I have been told that one of his jobs was to receive the correct time (presumably via Greenwich) and to then go with his pony and trap to the various hostelries in the area and ensure that their clocks were correct.
I have no idea what the book is called but I have been reliably told that a history of Clapham exists with photographs of said JFH and text. Does anyone have any idea of this book or (with fingers crossed) a copy that they could scan the photographs for me.
Regards
Richard

Patrisia
16-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Richard,
I have a book called Clapham Past but I am just off out, to my nearest FHC!
When I get back I will have a proper look for James Horner, but........there's a picture of Elizabeth Horner. She is sitting in a pony and trap, taken in the 1870s on Clapham Common, and there is a man holding the horse's head.
When I get back I will scan it and send it on to you.
Must dash.

Patrisia
16-03-2005, 9:13 PM
Hi Richard,
Just tried to send you the pic but no email allowed. If you care to get in touch with me, I will send it on.

richard horner
17-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Patrisia

Sorry had a small problem with the modem but as you can see all is well now (fingers crossed ). Would be very grateful if you could send me a copy, it would seem that the pony knew the route and this was useful in view of the number of pubs that JFH had to visit.

regards
richard