PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Grandfather

alansdad
25-07-2009, 3:28 PM
I am trying to trace my Grandfather on my paternal side. Unfortunately my own father and grandparents have long since passed on, however, I have been informed that dad was born out of wedlock, and my grandmother moved to Devon for the birth. My mother says that this birth was never registered, can this be true? if not how do I go about finding where he was born and what happened to my Grandfather. My fathers name was John William George AUTREY and his mother's name was Maud Alice COVE.

stickymone
25-07-2009, 3:57 PM
Hi Alansdad,

The first place to go is FreeBMD to see if his birth is recorded there. You will need to check under both surnames That's of course if the birth was registered!

What time frame are we talking about? you might find him in the census if his birth is pre 1911

alansdad
25-07-2009, 3:59 PM
Thanks, but already tried FreeBMD, and there is no trace. Was it common in 1919 for illegitimate births not to be recorded at all?

hughar
25-07-2009, 4:15 PM
John W G Autrey married to Roberts in March qtr 1954 Cheltenham, Vol.7b, page 644.

With that in mind I would be inclined to take a look at the birth certificate of the George W Cove born September qtr 1917 to Mother with maiden name Cove at Cheltenham, Vol.6a, page 557. It's a long shot, but not unknown for first and middle names given at birth to be used in a different order later in life.

Sandyhall
25-07-2009, 4:15 PM
Hi
Just tried to post on your other thread only to find it was closed so here I go again - are there any cluse on the cert. you have.

Even if he was born out of wedlock he still should have been regestered and with his mother's surname Cove where did the name Autrey come from.

Sandy

Sandyhall
25-07-2009, 4:41 PM
Hi
Name: Alice Maud Cove
Year of Registration: 1890
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Stroud (1837 Onw)
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 339

Sandy

v.wells
25-07-2009, 5:21 PM
If you have a birth certificate then it had to be registered and it will say on it what county/parish/town the child was born in.

Peter Goodey
25-07-2009, 6:36 PM
Do you have your father's marriage certificate?

If so, what is shown as his father's name?

If not, you're hampering your research by not having enough documentary evidence. At least birth and marriage certificates for you and all your ancestors are a necessity.