PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing pages of 'new posts'

pottoka
24-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Please bear with me while I try to explain this as it'll probably turn out as clear as mud ...

Despite my lovely personal tag, there are times when I don't or can't log on every day (trips to England when I'm cut off from the Internet |help|! or simply days when I get a migraine), and so, when I log on again, there are several pages of 'new posts'.

I have discovered that, if I make a contribution to a thread when reading through the 'new posts', I have to use the back button - through my post, its writing, the thread and back out to the 'new posts' - to avoid losing the remaining pages of 'new posts'.

However, there are times when I read a thread, say on page 5 of 6 pages, and when I use the back button to return to the 'new posts' of when I logged on, I get a message saying that there are no matches for my search and that I should try something different. So I miss out on a page or so of posts.

Is there any way of stopping this happening?

Mutley
25-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I think it is a problem for everyone, unfortunately.
When I first log on I go to 'Quick Links' then towards the bottom click 'Subscribed Threads' that way I can then work through any that I have been involved with.

Then I go to 'New Posts' and go to the last page first and work my way up. That way, the new posts stay at the top and I am working up from the bottom. That's where the muddy bit comes into it. :)

If I want to reply to one, and if I remember, I open a new window/tab and reply in that, close that window/tab and continue on with my original list. Even muddier :D

susan-y
25-07-2009, 1:27 AM
The program seems to think we are speed readers! Like Mutley, I go to the oldest first and work my way to page 1. That way I know if I get left behind I can still go to "today's posts" to at least get the most current ones. The problem is when there are several pages and I've only got to say page 9 and that's still 2 or 3 days past..... I end up loosing those days|scold|.

Sue

pottoka
25-07-2009, 1:41 AM
I feel better now that I know that I'm not alone in having this problem. Given my track record with computers, it could well have been me doing something that I wasn't supposed to! (like this |computer| )

I think it is a problem for everyone, unfortunately.

If I want to reply to one, and if I remember, I open a new window/tab and reply in that, close that window/tab and continue on with my original list. Even muddier :D

I shall try to remember to follow your tip, Mutley and Susan-y, and start at the end. Then I'll also try to remember to open a new tab if I want to stick my oar in somewhere, like Mutley says. Thanks to both of you |hug|

sue2white
25-07-2009, 7:26 AM
I know exactly what you mean!! You start looking and there are 30 or so posts and then when you click back to new posts there are now only 5!!
I have discovered a way to find them all!

Go to Quick Links and click Today's posts...and you will get them all back and usually more!!

Hope that helps
Sue|jumphappy

pottoka
26-07-2009, 9:27 AM
I know exactly what you mean!! You start looking and there are 30 or so posts and then when you click back to new posts there are now only 5!!
I have discovered a way to find them all!

Go to Quick Links and click Today's posts...and you will get them all back and usually more!!

Hope that helps
Sue|jumphappy

Aha, we have someone who dares play with her computer here ... you have obviously established a friendly rapport with yours, Sue; mine is more of a hate/hate relationship! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Computer/computer-13.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Computer-Smileys.html) I bet you even know what all those F buttons are for, don't you? (whoops, that sounds rude!)

Thank you for the tip. |hug| Not having been able to visit yesterday, I'm doing what Mutley and Susan-y recommended earlier, which is starting from the last page, and adding to threads with a different tab. If it all goes pear-shaped even then, I shall fight back with your solution. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Battle/samurai.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Battle-Smileys.html)

In fact, I'll probably try your solution anyway, to see the difference. |laugh1|

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 1:30 PM
I open a new window/tab and reply in that, close that window/tab and continue

How, please? |dunce2|

Thomasin

MarkJ
26-07-2009, 1:33 PM
How, please? |dunce2|

Thomasin

That depends on your browser Thomasin.
If you have Firefox, then either go to the file menu in the browser and select New Tab or press Ctrl + T ;)

I suspect IE has something similar - but I don't use that myself.

When it comes to opening a specific thread in a new tab, then right clicking and selecting Open In a New Tab does the trick

Mark

Mutley
26-07-2009, 1:47 PM
How, please? |dunce2|

Thomasin

In Internet Explorer, along the top is File, Edit, View etc
I click on File, third down is New Window.

You get to see yourself twice ;)

You can play around in this window, answer posts, move back and forth or even go to google but the original window (the first one) stays exactly as it was.

If you are clever you could have ten windows open but if I did that I would have to take a packed lunch because I know I would get lost somewhere. :)

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 2:52 PM
Got it! Thank you. I usually have a range of minimized windows along the bottom of the screen - email, B-G, FMP, FreeBMD, FamilySearch etc. The trouble is that if there are too many, then my computer piles them together on top of each other under 'Internet Explorer'.

Thomasin

Mutley
26-07-2009, 3:00 PM
Got it! Thank you. I usually have a range of minimized windows along the bottom of the screen - email, B-G, FMP, FreeBMD, FamilySearch etc. The trouble is that if there are too many, then my computer piles them together on top of each other under 'Internet Explorer'.

Thomasin
I know that problem too ;)

I often work with two windows open though, one on half the screen on the right and the other using half of the screen on the left.

Very useful if you are searching in say A*y and have found a family in the 1891 census with all the kids. Keep that window open, open a new window and search for them in another census and it is easy to compare the two. :)

MarkJ
26-07-2009, 3:06 PM
Ah - now if you used Linux, you can have several totally different screens available to you. So for example, on screen 1, I can have my browser open, perhaps with a few tabs with the forum, freeBMD, the IGI etc open; one screen 2, I can have something totally different - perhaps a program I am working on, screen 3 perhaps a game or something ...
Each screen has a little icon in the bottom of the toolbar thing and can be clicked to switch between them. Or I can use those mysterious F buttons to open a different screen.
Then, to get really geeky, I can have perhaps a VNC session running in another screen, connected to another computer... and, if I am really desperate, I can do exactly the same in that VNC session - i.e open different things in different screens on there! :D

The joys of Geek!

Mark ;)

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 3:19 PM
Mark - does your house look like the NASA control centre? I don't even know what VNC is (please don't tell me!)

Mutley - that sounds really useful. Is it possible to have B-G and FMP both open on the screen?

Thomasin

MarkJ
26-07-2009, 3:23 PM
It does a bit Thomasin, yes ;)
In my living room alone, there are 4 PCs, plus 3 laptops and 2 netbooks - and when the girls are here, you can add another two laptops and a netbook to that... :D

And my main machine is actually not in this room!

(VNC is like the Remote Desktop thing on Windows - allows you to control a machine from another one and, if you wish, display the full desktop on the remote machine and open/close stuff as if you were sat in front of it!) (Sorry, couldn't resist a quick explanation of VNC)

Mark :)

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 3:34 PM
Cor! |bowdown|

Thomasin

arthurk
26-07-2009, 4:18 PM
Another solution to the original problem, which seems to work for me: click New Posts, and then go through all pages of these without looking at any individual threads. This puts the pages in the browser's cache, so even if the forum decides to refresh itself in some way, they should still be accessible to you. Then using your browser's back/forward buttons (and/or its drop-down list of recent pages) look through each page one at a time for interesting threads.

When I find an interesting thread, I always open it in a new tab, so as I write this I have one B-G New Posts page open, and 8 individual threads. After going through all pages I usually click New Posts again as there are usually more that have come in while I've been reading and writing.

What no-one seems to have mentioned is that some browsers can open a link in a new tab if you click it with the mouse centre button (= scroll wheel) - much quicker than right-clicking or going to a menu. I've found this to work in Firefox, Opera and IE7.

Arthur

sue2white
26-07-2009, 4:58 PM
This puts the pages in the browser's cache, so even if the forum decides to refresh itself in some way, they should still be accessible to you. Then using your browser's back/forward buttons (and/or its drop-down list of recent pages) look through each page one at a time for interesting threads.

AAaaahhh!! Too much information. I'll stick with the way that works for me!!

Sue http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0085.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-animal-smileys.php)

arthurk
26-07-2009, 6:37 PM
Sorry if I frightened you, Sue :) I was trying to make it non-technical, but maybe I didn't go far enough.

sue2white
26-07-2009, 8:11 PM
Forgiven. |hug|
I consider I'm pretty good with computers...I just can't keep up with the 'lingo'.

Sue

http://www.picpiggy.com/smile/sign/sign0176.gif (http://www.picpiggy.com)

Mutley
26-07-2009, 8:40 PM
Mutley - that sounds really useful. Is it possible to have B-G and FMP both open on the screen?

Thomasin

Oh yes, I've shoved this BG screen to the right with the little double arrow thingy that makes it narrower. It is now taking up a third of the screen and I can still type this reply.

I've opened another window for FMP and made that the right size to go in the middle of the screen and another for FreeBMD that is sitting on the left. I can click on each one to use it but still see all three together.

That's about my limit. I'd get very giddy if mine looked like Mark's does.:)

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 11:09 PM
That sounds wonderful, but I can't find my little double arrow thingy!

Do you remember Tony Hancock's The Radio Ham? Great stuff. Mark's house sounds like a much updated version.

Thomasin

Mutley
26-07-2009, 11:36 PM
That sounds wonderful, but I can't find my little double arrow thingy!

Thomasin

Hover the mouse over any of the sides of the window or corners, mine are blue lines, the little black arrow thingy appears and then left click and drag the window.
I also have little tiny lines, three of them right at the bottom of the screen. There is a magnifying glass with a plus sign and 100% then a down arrow, then in the corner three tiny lines. These will also re size your screen. :)

Thomasin
26-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Thank you very much, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm off to bed now - too late again.

Thomasin

pottoka
27-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't understand how everyone else opens new tabs |sad1| As far as I know, I use IE, which opens Google for me, but I don't have a File, Edit, View etc option. I just have a tab at the top of the page I'm working on, with the name of the site on it, and, if I want another, I click on the small tab to the right of it.

I often work with two windows open though, one on half the screen on the right and the other using half of the screen on the left.

Very useful if you are searching in say A*y and have found a family in the 1891 census with all the kids. Keep that window open, open a new window and search for them in another census and it is easy to compare the two. :)

This sounds wonderful, Mutley. I often open successive Censuses in different tabs, but each one takes up a whole page. I've just tried to reduce a page as you describe, but my computer refuses to comply. It just ain't fair! :(

sue2white
27-07-2009, 6:19 AM
I don't understand how everyone else opens new tabs As far as I know, I use IE, which opens Google for me, but I don't have a File, Edit, View etc option. I just have a tab at the top of the page I'm working on, with the name of the site on it, and, if I want another, I click on the small tab to the right of it.

I think you have the full screen option

This is an F key I do understand

If I press F11, my screen enlarges and I lose the top toolbar....with file, edit etc. If I press F11 again, it all comes back.

I dare you to give it a try and press F11....it could open a whole new world to you!!
http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/animated/anim_44.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-Indonesia/scuba-diving-in-bali)
Sue

PS I have just been having a play with the mouse. I don't think the above will solve your problem...but if you take your mouse on a little walk to the top of the screen, where you have your one tab and right click....you may get the option to open MENU BAR. This should make file, edit etc appear, if you click it.

MythicalMarian
27-07-2009, 9:40 AM
I don't understand how everyone else opens new tabs |sad1| As far as I know, I use IE, which opens Google for me, but I don't have a File, Edit, View etc option. I just have a tab at the top of the page I'm working on, with the name of the site on it, and, if I want another, I click on the small tab to the right of it.

Worry not, Pottoka - this is exactly what you should be doing. You obviously have IE7, like me (I use both that and Firefox from time to time). Instead of going to all this File, View stuff, simply click the tab to the right of the current one to open a new one. You can keep doing this all along the top of the current window and have as many sites open on those tabs as you like.

You see guys and gals, Microsoft don't bite at all if you know how to approach them. :D

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 1:14 PM
Phew! After a lot of trial and error I'm sitting here with three thumbnails open, but how on earth can I make them big enough to work on? If I can't enlarge them as Mutley describes, what is the advantage of having tabs open at the top of the screen as opposed to having minimized thingammies along the bottom?

I would like to be able to do things like copy typing from a census on to the Forum without constantly switching screens.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's puzzled!

Thomasin

Mutley
27-07-2009, 6:06 PM
We will crack this, the problem is getting the windows the correct size ;)

Microsoft XP help page (https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_window_resize.mspx?mfr=true)
I have it open on the left side of my desktop. (it takes up half of it).
I have BG open on the right side of my desktop. (it takes up the other half). I can see both windows clearly by following the resize instructions as below. I have copied the text from the left window (Microsoft) and pasted it into the right window (BG).
(Thanks Microsoft, I hope you will not do me for copyright):)
I added a bit after the note.

•To change the width, point to the left or right window border. When the pointer changes into a horizontal double-headed arrow https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/US1taskbar02.gif, drag the border to the right or left.
•To change the height, point to the top or bottom window border. When the pointer changes into a vertical double-headed arrow https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/US1taskbar01.gif, drag the border up or down.
•To change the height and width at the same time, point to any window corner. When the pointer changes into a diagonal double-headed arrow https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/US1taskbar03.gif, drag the border in any direction.

Note
You cannot resize a window when it is displayed in a full screen (maximized). But you can resize it if you click the middle box in the top right hand corner of the screen.

There are three little boxes the first has a -, that closes the window and pops it onto the task bar right at the bottom of the desktop.

The middle one has a square box clicking on that will make the screen full size (covers the whole desktop and you cannot resize) or
when you can see two little boxes (Restore Down) half on top of each other, click on that and the window reduces to the same size that it was the last time you made it smaller.

The third box is the little cross that closes the window completely.
Pictures are on the link that says
• Minimize or maximize a window or restore it to its previous size

Have another play around, it is worth it in the end.

Mutley
27-07-2009, 6:16 PM
But...

If you now tell me you are using Vista, then I ain't playing any more because I have not been down that road yet. :D

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 6:41 PM
Aha!! Pesky Vista spoils everything. I've been playing around, resizing etc., and the only thing I couldn't do was to have more than one window open at the same time. If I moved B-G over to the right and went back for FMP, the blinking FMP page had gone over to the right as well. Oh well, 'twas nice while it lasted. Thanks for trying!

I'll carry on with my minimised pages ....

Thomasin

salcat
27-07-2009, 7:42 PM
I've been trying to do this too :confused: Mutleys instructions work in Vista as well.

It seems to work if I have two copies of Firefox open, one with BG and one with A*** (or any other useful page). (and it works if I have Firefox in one window and Word or another programme in the other) BUT if all internet sites are in tabs in one copy of Firefox, then they all move with the resized window.

Could that be the problem Thomasin?

Sally

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 7:47 PM
It sounds like it, Sally. Thank you, I'll have another try .......................!

Thomasin

salcat
27-07-2009, 7:52 PM
Hope it works!

S

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 7:56 PM
I've got there (at last, I hear you say). Sally was right, I had to open another version of Internet Explorer.

Mind you, it's a bit of a squash with two windows next to each other. How on earth do you manage with three, Mutley? I think it's probably just a question of getting used to it.

Thank you again, folks.

Thomasin :) |hug|

Mutley
27-07-2009, 9:04 PM
Well done Thomasin, practice makes perfect.
Now you just have to learn to move the windows around the desktop. ;)

Are you sitting comfy? Have you got a cuppa?
Then we will begin. :)
You take your mouse up to the blue bar at the top of the window that says. B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest
Click the left mouse button on it and hold it down, you can then drag the window and drop it into whatever position you want.

So if FMP chooses to sit on top of BG, well, I wouldn't stand for that!
BG should always have poll position.
Pick FMP up and shove it over, you tell it where it should go. :D

pottoka
27-07-2009, 9:15 PM
I dare you to give it a try and press F11....it could open a whole new world to you!!

PS I have just been having a play with the mouse. I don't think the above will solve your problem...but if you take your mouse on a little walk to the top of the screen, where you have your one tab and right click....you may get the option to open MENU BAR. This should make file, edit etc appear, if you click it.[/QUOTE]

I dared ... and all the bits at the top disappeared! |help| Including the tabs!

Then I took mouse for walkies at the top of the screen, and the tabs and some of the "instructions" came back while it was up there, but there was no sign of a Menu Bar (unless I don't know what I'm looking for).

sue2white
27-07-2009, 9:30 PM
I've confused the issue I can see. http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/sign/sign0007.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-the-UK/scuba-diving-in-the-uk)

Ignore F11, just walk your mouse to the top of your screen next to your tab.
Right click
A small window should open with Menu bar written at the top.
If you click this, the menu bar should appear ......hopefully. http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/sign/sign0111.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-South-Africa/scuba-diving-in-sodwana-bay)

F11, is just for seeing everything as full screen...great if you are using a whiteboard....but that's another story.

Sue

pottoka
27-07-2009, 9:33 PM
Worry not, Pottoka - this is exactly what you should be doing. You obviously have IE7, like me (I use both that and Firefox from time to time). Instead of going to all this File, View stuff, simply click the tab to the right of the current one to open a new one. You can keep doing this all along the top of the current window and have as many sites open on those tabs as you like.

You see guys and gals, Microsoft don't bite at all if you know how to approach them. :D

Ah, so I am doing something right, after all. Wow! I do sometimes have lots of tabs open, like each of the Censuses, plus births, marriages, deaths, and my tree/trees.

But I can't get them to change size, even with Mutley's explanations. I'm using XP (a deliberate choice when we bought the computer). Unless, Mutley, you are using different windows, not different tabs? In that case, I think I might have understood |doh|

pottoka
27-07-2009, 9:52 PM
just walk your mouse to the top of your screen next to your tab.
Right click
A small window should open with Menu bar written at the top.
If you click this, the menu bar should appear ...... hopefully.

Sue

It's not your fault, Sue, it has to be my foreign computer ...

I tried the mouse on the small tab and got "new tab Ctrl + T". Nothing doing, thought I. BUT, I decided to open a new tab, and lo and behold, there in all the bits and bobs already at the top of the screen, I got "toolbar:newtab". Please tell me that the toolbar is the same as the menu bar.
Or do I have to order a Screwdriver |5cups| instead of popcorn http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/4.gif ?

Mutley
27-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Ah, so I am doing something right, after all. Wow! I do sometimes have lots of tabs open, like each of the Censuses, plus births, marriages, deaths, and my tree/trees.

But I can't get them to change size, even with Mutley's explanations. I'm using XP (a deliberate choice when we bought the computer). Unless, Mutley, you are using different windows, not different tabs? In that case, I think I might have understood |doh|

I'm ever so basic, I can't be doing with clever stuff. ;)
Tabs? I ain't got them.
The File, Edit things are on the menu bar, I'd be lost without them because I can never remember the F words. (I mean keys |oopsredfa)

Somewhere up at the top of your screen must be a place you can right click your mouse and it gives you a list of toolbars. Can you see the google box? I can right click beside that and then click Menu Bar to find it or send it away. When it is there I click File then I click New Window. Tabs are grey and I cannot use them.

I think what makes it so hard is that we must all have different set ups. What I can see is not the same as you can see.

I do seem to spend a lot of time moving windows and resizing them around my desktop. But I am very quick at it now. :)
This is what my screen looks like. Sorry it is really small but if you squint you can just see the File Menu row, third row down.
Does your screen look anything like mine?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/desktop.jpg

pottoka
27-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm ever so basic, I can't be doing with clever stuff. ;)

I think what makes it so hard is that we must all have different set ups. What I can see is not the same as you can see.

I do seem to spend a lot of time moving windows and resizing them around my desktop. But I am very quick at it now. :)
This is what my screen looks like. Sorry it is really small but if you squint you can just see the File Menu row, third row down.
Does your screen look anything like mine?

Well, if we're talking about basics, I'm still in the Stone Age as far as computers are concerned ... (even if I have got tabs). I couldn't have put a piccy of my screen on a thread, that's for sure!

You've got it in one: we all have different set-ups. You are clever. My top row is like yours, (not counting the dark blue line) but I don't have the second row that you do. My second row looks like your third row, but with different icons after the google box. By that there is a coloured mosaic thingy which I have just dared to click on, and it has offered me extra buttons for a menu bar... euręka! Underneath that, I have my bookmark stars beside my row of tabs.
Mutley, you're a star http://bestsmileys.com/stars/5.gif And now that you've sorted me out, I'm going to retire to my bed and finish my really good book.

Thank you, everyone, and sweet dreams! http://bestsmileys.com/sleeping/11.gif

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Got it! Both the cuppa and the moving-about rigmarole. I now have THREE windows open, and I've pushed them about and stretched them and shrunk them and generally bossed them around.

Thanks a million to all of you!

Thomasin

Mutley
27-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I am so pleased, it is just as much fun as finding a family, getting things get to work. ;)

Thomasin,
I've got the grandkids staying next week, they come from around your way, so any ideas on how I get the 'Wee' to play tennis? :confused:

Pottaka,
Swapsies (is that how you spell it?)
I want some new smilies, I' m bored with mine :)

Mutley
27-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I am just off to finish my book too.
Shadows of the Workhouse, by Jennifer Worth.
I had to get it after reading her 'Call the Midwife'.
True life in Stepney, a real bit of social history. They are fab!

Thomasin
27-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Thomasin,
I've got the grandkids staying next week, they come from around your way, so any ideas on how I get the 'Wee' to play tennis? :confused:

If I had any idea what you're talking about, I'd gladly help! Do you mean 'Wii'? I'm the one who's :confused:. Too much technical stuff tonight!

Hope the little 'uns won't stop you getting on here!

Thomasin

Mutley
27-07-2009, 11:45 PM
If I had any idea what you're talking about, I'd gladly help! Do you mean 'Wii'? I'm the one who's :confused:. Too much technical stuff tonight!
Wii, that's the kiddy, see you do know a thing or two. ;)

Hope the little 'uns won't stop you getting on here!

They will given half a chance.

Nanny, what you doing?
Just coming sweetheart.... :)

sue2white
28-07-2009, 6:41 AM
I
tried the mouse on the small tab and got "new tab Ctrl + T". Nothing doing,

Go to the right of the small tab (basically in a space) and right click on the mouse, not left click. That might be the problem. Then the small window should open for you to select menu bar.

I so want to hold your hand doing this!!

Fingers crossed

Sue |hug|

PS I didn't read all the posts and realise Mutley sorted you out. So there you go! Ignore my post and I'll go back to bed!!

Thomasin
28-07-2009, 8:25 AM
Wii, that's the kiddy, see you do know a thing or two. ;)

As you may have gathered, I am somewhat short of being technical (I'm somewhat short as well), and although I have heard of Wii, seen the television adverts |snore| and have relations who thoroughly enjoy it, I'm afraid that's the sum total of my knowledge on it!

Thomasin

Mutley
28-07-2009, 9:21 AM
As you may have gathered, I am somewhat short of being technical (I'm somewhat short as well), and although I have heard of Wii, seen the television adverts |snore| and have relations who thoroughly enjoy it, I'm afraid that's the sum total of my knowledge on it!

Thomasin

All nice things come in little packages, so I am told. :)

Thomasin
28-07-2009, 9:29 AM
Hmmm, another two inches would be very useful ....

Thomasin

pottoka
29-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, folks, the eldest brat came round yesterday, and I managed to get him to give me five minutes of his precious time. We then had a row because I was miffed that he wouldn't sit down and explain things to me slowly - and listen to what I was trying to say!

The upshot of it all is that I can get a menu bar if I press the Alt button. Then I have a second row like Mutley with File, Edit, View etc

(One day when I've really got the pioneering spirit, I shall have to try all that out and see what everything does). That'll be the day.

pottoka
29-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Thank you, sue2white, for all your help. Without you, I would never have got this far. Truly.

Thank you, Mutley. I looked up your books on a website, and they have pretty good reviews. I'm cheesed off because I was reading a book and, when I got to page 138, it went back to page 91 to 138, then started again at 187. (It wasn't the one I was finishing the other evening). Great to get stuck into a thriller andhttp://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Confused/confused-28.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Confused-Smileys.html) I can send it back, but the website hasn't got it in stock any more, and I've already got the next one in the series. |rant|

Thank you, everyone who has helped on this thread. I am now slightly more comfortable with my computer which is saying something given our hate/hate relationship http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Computer/computer-14.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Computer-Smileys.html)

Mutley
29-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, folks, the eldest brat came round yesterday, and I managed to get him to give me five minutes of his precious time. We then had a row because I was miffed that he wouldn't sit down and explain things to me slowly - and listen to what I was trying to say!

The upshot of it all is that I can get a menu bar if I press the Alt button. Then I have a second row like Mutley with File, Edit, View etc

(One day when I've really got the pioneering spirit, I shall have to try all that out and see what everything does). That'll be the day.

You can just look pottoka. ;)
If you walk the mouse up there and click any of those words on that row each of them will give you a whole lot more choices. If they scare you then click anywhere else on your desktop and the choices will go.

Then try again another day, if there is a little arrow head pointing to the right on a choice then you can click again for more choices.
[whoopie do!] ;)

But you do not have to do anything, just look.

If one of the choices looks interesting and you think, I wonder, what would that do? Then come and ask, I have not a clue what most of them do.

'Tools', 'Smart Screen Filter', 'Turn off'
What's that all about? I don't know [shrug]
So I ain't gonna try it but if you want to know then I am sure a forum member will explain it. They are really clever on here, sometimes :)

We can show these kiddos a thing or two,
we were not born yesterday. or were we? :confused:

Waitabit
29-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I have had the dreaded experience of being 'locked out'!!

Son did some 'house cleaning' for me & wiped cookies, temp files & such. Goodbye B-G-Forum & password. I remembered it but it didn't remember me.
Thankyou 'Bo for my recovery.|hug|

I was able tho' to peruse this thread & enjoy the sharing of teaching & learning that went on.
Mutley & sue2white..clap,clap.(Don't have any icons)

Several times I've been in the frustrating postition of not finding a particular reply to a thread, I now click the blue no in the replies column & voila! up pops a box with everyones name who contributed to that thread & no of replies. No more fretting.:)

sue2white
30-07-2009, 7:23 AM
http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/happy/happy0064.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Latest-Scuba-Diving-News/sara-campbell-new-freediving-record)

Well done!
I'm glad your sorted out....I didn't realise I was such a whizz!

Sue

http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/sign/sign0177.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-Australia/scuba-diving-in-navy-pier)

pottoka
01-08-2009, 1:56 AM
Son did some 'house cleaning' for me & wiped cookies, temp files & such. Goodbye B-G-Forum & password. I remembered it but it didn't remember me.

My "men" (husband and brats) do that sort of thing every so often - and son n° 1 said that the computer can do it on its own, too. It's supposed to be good for the computer, but it's certainly not good for me. I don't forget my passwords (yet) because I do what we're not supposed to do and use the same ones pretty much everywhere, but getting A* back to my liking, with the old search and so on takes up valuable research time! |rant|

Several times I've been in the frustrating position of not finding a particular reply to a thread, I now click the blue no in the replies column & voila! up pops a box with everyone's name who contributed to that thread & no of replies. No more fretting.

Which blue number in the replies column? Where is it? You've got me confused again ... I tried one number, and it gave me one reply per screen so it can't be that. http://moppo.net/letters_cats1/image.php?s=PLEASE+HELP+ME+&ext=.gif (http://www.millan.net/)http://moppo.net/letters_cats1/image.php?s=AND+EXPLAIN&ext=.gif (http://www.millan.net/)

Mutley & sue2white..clap,clap. (Don't have any icons)

Just for you, Waitabit http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/3.gif http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif (and for Mutley and sue2white)

v.wells
01-08-2009, 2:25 AM
I didn't know this before BUT, if you go to "new Posts", across the top, there's "threads title", "views", "replies". "replies" is underlined and is blue. If you click on that (left mouse) it brings up a tiny screen that displays each individuals' name and how many replies they made to that particular post.

It's exciting to learn this stuff! :D

pottoka
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Vanessa, after much searching of what was right in front of my nose, I finally tracked down the line thread/thread starter - last post - replies - views - forum. They're all white writing on a dark blue background, and replies doesn't appear to be underlined.

I have clicked left, right, centre, upside down, backwards and forwards on replies, but my mouse is not playing. http://bestsmileys.com/crying/13.gif

Mutley
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/Forumbluebarhelp.jpg

Sorry Pottoka you will need a magnifying glass. The picture is a bit small but maybe it will help.
Look at the row with the name of the first thread

..............................Thread Starter | Last Post | Replies
Envelope | Note Page | Passenger List | Today etc | 6

The blue number 6 is underlined and is a clicky link to take you to where Vanessa has found.

sue2white
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
OMG!

You learn something new everyday.

Sue |bowdown|

pottoka
01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Mutley rides to the rescue on her white charger http://www.topsmileys.net/smilies/transport/moped.gif (http://www.topsmileys.net) (sorry, it was the best I could do)

I got my magnifying glass http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/characters/character0142.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com) and looked at your screen: thread starter, check; last post, check; replies, check.

Envelope? What envelope? I ain't got no envelopes!
Note Page? Passenger list?
Has Mutley finally lost it? Which Mod should I tell, they're all so far away from Portugal.

Then it clicked |idea| and I felt such an idiot:
1) for not having understood Vanessa in the first place, and
2) for taking so long to understand Mutley's very clear explanations.
Thank goodness for the guardian angels on this site http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/angel/pray.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com) http://moppo.net/letters_cats1/image.php?s=THANK+YOU&ext=.gif (http://www.millan.net/)

Mutley
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh Bummer! you are right. Stupid Mut |doh|

The screen that I took the image of was my NEW POSTS screen
at that moment in time

Everyone will have a different row of information along there. In a few days or years that thread will have gone into the back of beyond.

Amended Instructions.
Look at the thread of interest to you, move your eyes right until you see a blue number with a line underneath and click it.
As of now this thread has 64 (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=48581) replies. If you click the 64 on this post it will take you to the place we are all chatting about.http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-964.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Flag-Smileys/)

pottoka
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh Bummer! you are right. Stupid Mut |doh|

How dare you call Mutley stupid. She is a gift from heaven. http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water immediately!

Mutley
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-177.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sad-Smileys/)

pottoka
01-08-2009, 12:49 PM
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-177.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sad-Smileys/)

Good girl.
Now don't forget http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/charleysuniform/teethcleaningsmiley.gif and http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/charleysuniform/dental_flossingsmiley.gif

v.wells
01-08-2009, 4:11 PM
Congratulations Pottoka, we have learned something together (I'm sorry I wasn't clearer and I don't know how to take snapshots of a page like Mutley!) :D

Mutley
01-08-2009, 4:32 PM
Congratulations Pottoka, we have learned something together (I'm sorry I wasn't clearer and I don't know how to take snapshots of a page like Mutley!) :D

You put your right arm in, shake it all about, do the okie cokie and turn around ..... :D

Sorry Vanessa, I will be serious, (maybe? ;))

Here goes,
Click your mouse at a blank space anywhere in the window you wish to copy to make it the active window.
Press the Alt Key and the Prt Sc key together.
Go to Paint or any other drawing/picture program and Ctrl V to paste it.
Save it as a jpeg or bmp
then chuck it onto Photobucket and then to here. :) S'easy

v.wells
01-08-2009, 4:39 PM
Thanks Mutley. |hug| I will keep this thread for future reference:D The brain can't hold any more learning at the moment:D

pottoka
02-08-2009, 1:02 AM
I, too, am keeping this thread for future reference, Vanessa. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/reading.gif (http://www.millan.net) I've learned so much in such a short time that I'm bound to forget most of it! http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/bokmal.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Waitabit
02-08-2009, 1:11 AM
Don't know if this will work, accidently logged out, & back in but keep getting told I'm not. Some posts work some don't.
Thankyou for the icon.
For future ref', when you're learning something, it's said that if you have something YELLOW close by or as background, you'll learn & remember easier.
Rather like having a sprig of Rosemary.

v.wells
02-08-2009, 3:19 AM
I have a yellow notepad but it is ineffective as a learning tool, since I can never read my writing scribble! |oopsredfa

Waitabit
02-08-2009, 9:16 AM
You don't have to write on it Vanessa, just have it there in eyes reach.:)

pottoka
02-08-2009, 9:44 AM
For future ref', when you're learning something, it's said that if you have something YELLOW close by or as background, you'll learn & remember easier.
Rather like having a sprig of Rosemary.

So that's why American authors always specify "yellow legal pads", is it? They've been doing it for so long now that everyone must know that they're yellow; I wish an author would either miss out the colour or have his/her lawyer find a with-it shop that sells them in white, green, blue, pink, rainbow ... anything but yellow!

That said, if yellow can improve my memory, I'd better surround myself with it. (I tried to put this post in yellow but it was illegible)

v.wells
02-08-2009, 2:39 PM
You don't have to write on it Vanessa, just have it there in eyes reach.:)

I also have yellow folders strewn about my desk! I don't know if they are a help or a hindrance :D