PDA

View Full Version : Burial Records Bridgend or Bristol

johnwetherill
24-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I am trying to locate the burial spot of and American Missionary Ethel Isabel Elfstrom (nee Rines). She was born on 18 November 1882 in Portland/Gt Chebeague Island, Maine. She married fellow American Missioner Samuel Ludwig Elfstrom at Keynsham (Bristol) Registry Office on 21 Sept 1919 - both were deeply committed to the Metropolitan Church Association (MCA) based in Waukesha WI but were living in Staple Hill Bristol at the time of their marriage although there was an earlier association with "The Ashteads", Warmley, Bristol where Samuel was registered as living when obtaining a passport from the US Consul in Bristol earlier in 1919.

The couple had a baby daughter, Elvina, in 1920 while resident in the MCA house at Heol y cyw, nr Bridgend. Sadly Ethel died at Heol y cyw on 10 January 1921 and her death was recorded at the Bridgend Registry in the 1st Quarter 1921.

I had assumed that she may have been buried in the Bridgend area but Heol y cyw apparently only has two chapels and the US family have photos which show what appears to be a part of a fairly substantial church style building whih THEY feel was as a result of being buried perhaps in the Staple Hill, Bristol Area.

Anyone any idea how I can search burial records for these two areas to find out WHERE she may have been buried

arthurk
24-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know about Bridgend, but you might find something useful for Staple Hill from the Bristol & Avon FHS - as far as I can tell, their website has separate sections on Local Burials (mainly central Bristol) and Burials (other areas), so you might want to ferret around a bit. Alternatively, do you have a copy of the church photo that you could scan and upload for us to see? Someone might recognise it.

Arthur

johnwetherill
24-07-2009, 3:41 PM
Thanks for that Arthur - I'll give them a go and see. I DO have a photo but its only PART of the church and a yew tree that will be nearly 90 years older now!

mikebroe
24-07-2009, 4:06 PM
John,

Can't think of a churchyard in the Staple Hill area but could be an adjoining one which does have burial grounds. I live within five minutes walk of Staple Hill so if you could upload the photo or send me a private message. I would then try to locate it for you.

Mike

Mags S
25-07-2009, 12:02 AM
If we could see the photo I may be able to identify if it is Bridgend Cemetery, not sure if there is one in Pencoed too which is near Heol y Cyw.

johnwetherill
25-07-2009, 7:16 AM
Thanks for those - very happy to put up the photos I have but cannot see a link so to do........any advice please?

Procat
25-07-2009, 7:21 AM
Place the image on photobucket then link to it. This (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30819) may assist.