PDA

View Full Version : BURRELL, Ponders End/Tottenham, 1851 Census or earlier?

Marion
14-03-2005, 4:41 PM
If anyone has access to 1841 or 1851 and wouldn't mind having a look, I'd be very grateful for any BURRELL in Tottenham. In particular George BURRELL, engineer, born around 1790-1800, or his sons George and James BURRELL born early 1820's in Ponders End but any BURRELL would be of interest.

Any help much appreciated

Marion

Frank W
14-03-2005, 6:03 PM
This may be irrelevant but there was a Susannah BURRELL in Sewardstone (Waltham Abbey) in 1861 (just a mile or two north of Ponders End, and somewhat further from Tottenham)

Census Ref is RG9-801 Folio 108B Page 10 (there were two folios numbered 108)

She was a Widow, 68, born in Buckden, Hunts, and ran the Post Office and a shop. In the same household was her brother Thomas FAIREY 66, a Widower, who was also born in Buckden, Hunts. Also a Granddaughter, Emily STURGES, 5, born in Deptford, Kent.

There was a recent enquiry for FAIRY or FAIREY on another Forum. (Bedfordshire?).

Regards......Frank W

Marion
14-03-2005, 6:12 PM
Thank you Frank. I'm not sure that I can dismiss *anything* as irrelevant - at this point I'm recording what I find; who knows where it will lead!

Thanks for responding
Marion

Frank W
14-03-2005, 6:45 PM
Hi Marion

You will find quite a few more BURRELL Census refs if you try the Site Search on my Cendexes website (URL below) but they are much more scattered geographically, and are only those in the Census Pieces I have indexed so far (and those in Geoffers' or Pam's NORFOLK indexes).

Most are in the 1861 and later years.

Regards......Frank W

AnnB
14-03-2005, 7:30 PM
You might be interested in the Abney Park Cemetery Index which can be found at http://www.abney-park.org.uk/ The cemetery is in Stoke Newington (not too far from Tottenham) and I have found some of my husband's ancestors who lived in Tottenham were buried there. If you click on the 'indexing project' on the right hand side of the page, this will lead you to an alphabetical break-down of the surnames indexed, which will lead you to the details of the individual burials. There are quite a few Burrells listed. :)
Best wishes
Ann

Marlene Dale
14-03-2005, 9:41 PM
Kia Ora Marion
I am the authoress of the Fairey connection! I have Thomas & Susannah's family from Buckden if it proves relevant to you!
The 1861 is a major breakthrough for me so thanks to the provider of the info. Now have a busy day linking up what else I have .
Special thanks to Frank W who took the time to inform me of the link.
Regards
Marlene in New Zealand

Marion
14-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Thank you, at least 2 of these are mine - very helpful!

regards
Marion

Marlene Dale
14-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi Marion
John Farey married Jane Grooms 25 December 1776 in Buckden.
Baptisms all in Buckden:
William Nov 9 1777
Ann Jan 2 1780
John 25 Dec 1781
Robert 10 Sept 1786
Mary Aug 9 1789
Mary Anne Mar 20 1791
Susannah July 21 1793
Thomas Nov 8 1795

It's nice to 'know' someone from the Buckden connection!
Do you want to join our group of Fairey/Farey/ Fairy researchers? We have families in Great Catworth, Connington, Ellington, Easton Hunts and Riseley, Eaton Socon, Beds, and many other places aroud this time and regularly swap info.
Regards
Marlene

Marion
14-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Marlene

I don't yet know if the BURRELL that Susannah FAIREY married was any connection to my BURRELLs. All I know is that my ancestor James BURRELL, born in Ponders End 1826, was the son of a George BURRELL, an engineer, but I haven't been able to find his mother's name or any further back than this despite some consimessage=Hi Marlene

I don't yet know if the BURRELL that Susannah FAIREY married was any connection to my BURRELLs. All I know is that my ancestor James BURRELL, born in Ponders End 1826, was the son of a George BURRELL, an engineer, but I haven't been able to find his mother's name or any further back than this despite some considerable searching! I know the family were non-conformist but was hoping to find them on an early census

regards, Marion

Marlene Dale
15-03-2005, 4:15 AM
Hi Marion

Good luck and keep me posted!

Cheers

Marlene

Marion
15-03-2005, 9:53 PM
Very interesting! Not either of the George's I have found in my family, but possibly a cousin: close in location, religion and background. Thanks for this

Marion