PDA

View Full Version : lost WW2 serviceman

scubadog86
19-07-2009, 6:17 PM
Hi ladies and gentleman, I am after a bit of help and advice, my nan who is coming to the end of her days has one wish left, she wants to know where and when her brother was buried during the second world was and if possible get a death cert etc. she was very young when he died so all we really know is his name and possible regiment. wallis yeoman ( rusty) if anybody can point me in the right direction i would be much appreciative

glow
19-07-2009, 8:48 PM
Hi Scubadog,

Could you give a bit more info: what regiment was he in? Was he born in Cardiff and enlisted there. Even his parents/wifes name so I know I if I find the correct one (they would be down as his next of kin) and I will have a look around for you and see what I can find.

glow

Peter Goodey
19-07-2009, 9:16 PM
I'd print her the CWGC certificate if I were you. Don't order a death certificate - it won' t tell you anything more.

Tell your nan she can have another wish :D

Geoffers
19-07-2009, 9:25 PM
If the CWCG entry found is correct, his death is included in the index to War Deaths (Army - other ranks) 1939-1948. The reference being:

Name - YEOMAN, Wallace A
Rank - C.Q.M.S
No. - 5379543
Unit - Ox & Bucks L.I
Year - 1943
Vol. - 9
Page - 419

A copy of the certificate can be ordered online via the GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/) but it will not provide much detail.

scubadog86
19-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Guys your going to make one old lady VERY happy, i think you have found the poor guy. so is their no way i can get hold of a death certificate or something from some one, their is a link i have been given on this thread so i will check that out 1st. I dont think she even has a photo of her brother he was her only guardian and left for the army when my nan was an infant.

Thanks Gents any other ideas are more than welcome.

susan-y
20-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome Scubadog86..|wave|

I can't help with your current quest, but I am extrememly interested in your "Yeoman" link. I have several questions for you and I will pm you as soon as I sort out what I would like to ask you .

As you have found out already, there are several helpful folks on this site.

Sue

MarkJ
20-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Guys your going to make one old lady VERY happy, i think you have found the poor guy. so is their no way i can get hold of a death certificate or something from some one, their is a link i have been given on this thread so i will check that out 1st. I dont think she even has a photo of her brother he was her only guardian and left for the army when my nan was an infant.

Thanks Gents any other ideas are more than welcome.

Yep - the GRO link given by Geoffers will allow you to order the death certificate for the sum of £7. However, there is not going to be much of great interest on it.
As Peter says, the CWGC site will alow you to print a nice little certificate, which is nice. I did the same for my wifes grandmother, whose brother was killed in WW1. She was really thrilled with it. It is now back in my possession, with grandmother having passed away and the certificate being passed to my mother in law whose affairs I now deal with as she is no longer able to do so.

Mark

Hugh Thompson
20-07-2009, 3:38 AM
Scubadog, if you go to

http://www.cwgc.org/CWGCImgs/Minturno%20War%20Cem.JPG

there is a lovely photo of the Minturno cemetery for your nan.
Hugh.

Peter Goodey
20-07-2009, 6:30 AM
Scubadog

I think perhaps you didn't spot it but on the link that Finbar gave you

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2607024

there is a button labelled "Certificate".

They don't actually make it easy to print so you have to save a screen shot and crop down to the certificate bit. It will probably then print out reasonably well on glossy A4 photo paper.

Procat
20-07-2009, 7:14 AM
If you google for The War Graves Photographic Project you can purchase a photo of his gravestone.

They charge £3 for emailed copies and £5 for hard copies

scubadog86
20-07-2009, 2:47 PM
Guys Thankyou all for your time and effort, its much appreciated i think I have everything now. would love to email the cemetary and see if I could get a photo of his grave but no contact details available.

Thanks again

Peter Goodey
20-07-2009, 2:59 PM
would love to email the cemetary and see if I could get a photo of his grave but no contact details available.

Did you spot Doug's message #11?

Toronto
20-07-2009, 8:30 PM
Now you have the military info on him why not try and get his army records along with a list of his medals. Perhaps the records might have his photograph.

All my best in your search.

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

Andrewb
21-07-2009, 7:07 PM
Scubadog

As he was killed in Italy he would have been entitled to at least the 1939-45 Star, Italy Star and War medal 1939-45. If you write to the Service Personnel Veterans Agency, Kentigern House, Glasgow, they should be able to advise exactly what medals he was entitled to.

Andrew

Wirral
21-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Did he marry? There's a birth in 1911 & a marriage in 1940 that would fit.