PDA

View Full Version : St Edward's Cottage Wareham Holy Trinity

Pat English
19-07-2009, 9:33 AM
I am visiting Purbeck soon and would like to find the site of the cottage where some ancestors lived in the 1840s.

It is called St Edward's Cottage (or cottages) and was apparently in the WAREHAM HOLY TRINITY parish.

I know of a cottage of that name in Norden, to the south of Wareham. Would that be in the right parish in those days?

Alternatively, the tourism people have suggested some cottages around the RC church of St Edwards the Martyr in the North of Wareham, off of North Street on Shatters Hill.

I have a feeling that would be in the wrong parish. Can anyone answer that one?

Any suggestions, please?

Best wishes,
Pat

Peter Goodey
19-07-2009, 9:45 AM
Try to get a bead on the location by following the census enumerator's walk and noting other streets and surviving buildings (pubs are good landmarks).

Geoffers
19-07-2009, 10:07 AM
See Peter's reply above which you can do from home, also

Try the County Record Office to see if they have any detailed surveys of the area. Where they survive, they may come with lists of families residing in each house.

aland
19-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Have a look here (http://www.wareham-tc.gov.uk/) ,you don't say which names you are researching but if you click on local links then go to the bottom of the page there is a link to Dorset OPC, click on that link then look at the Postal Directories heading on the left side there are a few directory names there for Wareham with some local names.

If you are visiting Wareham try the local or nearest library they may hold copies of Kelly's or Pigots, you may be able to track down the right area
from these.

Dorset Girl
19-07-2009, 2:20 PM
As I was going to say before the power cut (in the middle of the post), the only thing I can think of is the fact that there is St Edward's Church in Corfe Castle, and of course a St Edward's Close, but I wold hardly think that would be under Wareham Holy Trinity. I found the staff at the Wareham Library extremely helpful so perhaps try them first.
There were three parishes in Wareham, one of which was Holy Trinity but I don't think it exists any more. Norden is quite close to Corfe Castle so possibly not that either.
Edward figured quite prominently in he area - there was a chapel of St Edward in St May's Church. There also used to be almshouses between St Mary's and St Martin's which would have link to the churches as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Marion

Pat English
20-07-2009, 6:21 AM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have now looked again at the 1841 census and find in that year my ancestor (Neri Poole, but transcribed as Nori by Ancestry) and his family were in Stoborough, but with no house name or street name. It IS in Holy Trinity.

The references I have to St Edward's Cottage(s) are a birth certificate in Feb 1838 and a death certificate in April 1840. Definitely Wareham Holy Trinity. Of course I cannot be 100% sure they were in the same place in 1841, a year after the death of the mother of the family.

By 1851 the family were living in Holt, Wimborne.

So if I ask does anyone know a St Edward's Cottage in Stoborough, does that ring a bell with any of you?

Best wishes,
Pat

Peter Goodey
20-07-2009, 6:56 AM
Have you read the description of the enumeration district?

Have you looked at the corresponding district in subsequent censuses? These are things you can do without leaving your keyboard

The 1861 census for example clearly mentions St Edwards Cottage. The reference if you need it is RG 9/1345 f 76 p 7

The CRO when you get there will surely have maps defining the boundary of the Liberty of Stoborough. This was described in the census as the Holy Trinity Out Parish.

Dorset Girl
20-07-2009, 7:26 AM
Imagine you have the marriage details -

8 May Neri Poole of St.Martin's & Elizabeth Hiscock of Holy Trinity

Dorset Girl
20-07-2009, 8:03 AM
Looking at the census that Peter mentioned it is definitely there in 1861 - but the travels of enumerator see a little befuddled in direction - as far as I can see it should be somewhere near Hyde Hill and the High Road to Corfe Castle (which is the yellow road on the map here http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SY865795

Pat English
25-07-2009, 5:41 PM
Not sure that was the right piece of map - it showed somewhere near Lulworth.

If you look at this map:

http://bit.ly/Ye3QO

whereabouts should I look on that?

Thanks for all your help...

Looking at the census that Peter mentioned it is definitely there in 1861 - but the travels of enumerator see a little befuddled in direction - as far as I can see it should be somewhere near Hyde Hill and the High Road to Corfe Castle (which is the yellow road on the map here http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SY865795

Dorset Girl
26-07-2009, 6:33 AM
They both zoom right out when entered as a url. If you use the one you posted (or even the one I posted) at the top left enter Stoborough Green - and when that comes up zoom in to the max on there and you will see Hyde Hill then and the high road to Corfe.
Cheers, Marion