PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Gobby maybe from Bedfordshire

Debbie Bozkurt
18-07-2009, 6:00 PM
Hi

I have a problem, I am looking for a mystery Joseph Gobby who appears to have had a number of children in London from around late 1790s to about 1810. My x 3 great grandmother was Elizabeth Gobby born about 1806, she doesn't seem to know exactly where she was born but ranges from not in Middlesex to Bishopgate, Spitalfields and Hoxton.

Elizabeth Gobby married William Buckridge in St Dunstans, Stepney 1829, witnesses William and Jane Gobby. Done a bit of digging and think William was her brother and Jane sister in law as they appear to have married in 1826 St Dunstans. William was married before but his wife died and the witness was Joseph Gobby, also a Mary Gobby was married in ST Dunstans again Witness Joseph Gobby.

The only Elizabeth (but no William) I can find is one born 1806, christened in St Andrews Holborn ( not next door to Shoreditch but only a few miles away) to a Joseph Gobby and Ann. I have tried numerous websites and the only 2 marriages I can find for a Joseph to an Ann is 1 in Luton, Bedford, 1793 but on IGI so has no information as to the witness or if they were of the parish or 1 in Cambridge - which I have excluded as the children were born in Cambridge not London. The only other marriage of a Joseph Gobby to anyone around the similar time is to a Mary and again children born and brought up in Bedfordshire.

Its all a bit muddly but I know from experience just because they were christened in a church doesn't mean they lived that close by so it isn't beyond the realms that the Joseph family I am looking for is the one that christened his family in Holborn.

But what I really want to know is if Joseph Gobby living in London was the Joseph Gobby who married Ann in Luton. Does anyone have access to these records who could give me more detail.

Also there are 3 possible names I can see for the birth of Joseph Gobby, 1 in Eaton bray, 1 in Biggleswade and 1 in Norton Herts all equal distance from Luton.

The possible son and brother of my grandmother was a French Polisher not sure if that would have been a family trade or not.

Any help most appreciated

kind Regards

Debs

davidcarca
21-07-2009, 4:07 PM
But what I really want to know is if Joseph Gobby living in London was the Joseph Gobby who married Ann in Luton. Does anyone have access to these records who could give me more detail.

As you know Debbie, the Beds transcripts don’t include the witnesses, so you need to look at the microfilm for those names, although the transcript will give you the parish of residence if other than Luton.

I don’t have the Luton transcript but a few random observations:

There’s an Ann Davison baptised at Luton in 1772 which would fit with the marriage, and possibly rule out the chance that Joseph and Ann might have been widow and widower who married late in life

There’s no burial of Joseph or Ann in Luton, and they baptised no children in Beds.

The baptisms in London fit nicely datewise with the marriage in Luton

If they moved to London after they married, the PR might say Joseph from Eaton Bray, or otp, which won’t help you in the least in proving that they were the couple in London.

Their son Benedict gives St Andrews as his birthplace, not Beds, adding to my thought they IF they were the Luton couple, then they moved to London, not that they baptised children in London while living in Luton. And St Andrews Holborn isn’t any of the East End/City parishes either. Could the name Benedict be part of a naming pattern?

But I have a more basic problem in that I really don’t fancy Elizabeth baptised Holborn as being Elizabeth who gives her birthplace as Bishopsgate, Spitalfields, or Hoxton, and who married in nearby Shoreditch

Also there are 3 possible names I can see for the birth of Joseph Gobby, 1 in Eaton bray, 1 in Biggleswade and 1 in Norton Herts all equal distance from Luton.

Eaton Bray is only 5 miles from Luton, just past Dunstable. Biggleswade and Norton are much farther away.

But Joseph Gobby son of William and Elizabeth Gobby, miller, was buried at Biggleswade on 21 Nov 1764, so I think Biggleswade can be ruled out.

The only burial of a Joseph Gobby in Eaton Bray was in 1806, which may have been the father of the 1766 Joseph.

But until you can demonstrate that Elizabeth in the East End was the Elizabeth in Holborn I think you're premature in looking for the baptism in Beds of a person who may not even have been the father of the Holborn Elizabeth.

Best regards

David

Debbie Bozkurt
25-07-2009, 8:09 AM
David

I think you are right, the possibility of Joseph Gobby being married in Luton being the Joseph Gobby in Holborn is a strong possibility but like you I am very uncomfortable in that Elizabeth is quoting east end as her birth place all though not a million miles away. I am more certain that William is her brother and there is certainly no William christened at St Holborn and he also mentions east end as his birth place.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks once more for your help.

Regards

Debs

shanemck
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi Debs,
I see you say you have info on Mary Gobby's marriage... Can you check if she married an Alexander McKenzie ( possibly from Scotland), if so I may have a connection to Bedfordshire for Mary Gobby.
I have an Alexander John McKenzie born 1838 in "London" , his father Alexander was a tailor and his mother's name was Mary Gobby. In 1861 UK census I have an Alexander in St Pancras (born Scotland) who was a tailor, wife's name is Mary born Bedfordshire. There is no Alexander the son on the census but he may have moved to Australia by then.. It is a bit of a long shot, but they maybe the same.

Regards Shane for Australia

davidcarca
08-04-2010, 5:27 AM
Mary Gobbey married Alexander McKenzie on 23 Aug 1831 at St James Westminster, London, per an extracted entry on the IGI.

In 1851 the McKenzies are living in St Pancras (indexed on Ancestry as McKenyee) with Mary age 41, birthplace Waurbourn, presumably Woburn, Bedfordshire. No son Alexander though. There's a baptism at Woburn on 6 Aug 1809 of Mary Gobbey, dau of Thomas and Ann Gobbey, which fits. I can't see the family in 1841 though (yet!)*

The McKenzies seem to have been lax about baptising their children. Apart from possibly the first, Elizabeth, who's on the IGI in St James Westminster in 1832 the only other one I can find is Robert on 7 Nov 1847 at Trinity Church, St Marylebone, son of Alexander and Mary, tailor of 22 Upper Ogle St, whose birth is given as 26 Apr 1840

David

* Found them living at Upper Ogle St, Marylebone, indexed on Ancestry as McKeage. Alexander 35 tailor b Scotland, Mary 30 Not b in Middlesex; Elizabeth 9, Alexander 5, Robert 1. All children b in Middlesex

steve williams
10-05-2010, 3:06 PM
Hi, I have some gobbey info, I believe that Joseph is one of my greats, have a little info on the Hoxton gobbeys.

Steve

Debbie Bozkurt
10-05-2010, 5:35 PM
Would be interested in what you have, I have since done more research on the Gobby Hoxton's and have found out the father was Joseph Gobby who was a Tailor, there are more Gobby's I found as luck would have it for us they remarried after 1837 when the father's name was put on the marriage - on lucky for them though. I beleive that Joseph Gobby may now have been family that was moved from either from Cambridge to Huntingdon in a Parish Removal as one of the Hoxton Gobby's says Huntingdon is their place of birth and one of the other says Cambridge

If you send me a personal message I will give you my email address

Kind Regards

Debs