PDA

View Full Version : Help with reading Birthplace in 1871 please.

Mary Young
14-03-2005, 1:36 PM
I have a page of 1871 for Hammersmith, Borough of Chelsea. The birthplace for one person looks like "Ewart Borough". Alas I'm not familiar with London placenames, indeed it might not even be in London? Grateful for any help and advice. Image here. http://www.iay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chaffer_snippet_01.jpg

Trish
14-03-2005, 3:03 PM
I have a page of 1871 for Hammersmith, Borough of Chelsea. The birthplace for one person looks like "Ewart Borough". Alas I'm not familiar with London placenames, indeed it might not even be in London? Grateful for any help and advice. Image here. Hi Mary. It looks more like "Ewert" to me but that doesn't help you much -- and could be the enumerator's own guess at how it's spelled, anyway.

I don't know much about London geography either, but I don't believe there is a modern day London borough named Ewart. There is, however, an Ewart Road in the Borough of Lewisham and also an Ewart Grove in another part of the city. You can find them on www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk).

Sorry, not much help...

Trish

Patrisia
14-03-2005, 6:25 PM
Well, that is an odd one!
I assume it was one of the children?
I lived around those places for quite a time and I can't make any connections at all. It does look like Ewart but there is no area in London like that, just a couple of streets and not in that area.
How about working forward with 1881? If you give us the names, we could have a look - or have you already done that?

Otherwise, how about Rob Dewsall? He knows that area too.
The only thing I can think of, there is a Borough Station in London but that is right the other side - a real case of lateral thinking!

AnnB
14-03-2005, 6:53 PM
Like Patrisia, the only part of London which I can think of is Borough, but that comes under Southwark. There is Borough High Street and Borough Market, but that's about it. Will keep thinking but can't promise anything :confused:
Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
14-03-2005, 7:35 PM
I suppose it couldn't be Westborough in Lincs? I know the r looks like the r's in other places, but wondered if the E was a curly W? Probably not but just a thought.

Good luck.
Glenys

Jo Simpsons
14-03-2005, 8:28 PM
The first letter does look like an E as in East doesn't look like a T though looking at the others :confused: Jo

Mary Young
14-03-2005, 8:46 PM
Hi, Everyone
Thanks for all your suggestions, the more I look at it, the more confused I get!
I have now found the family in the 1881, where the birthplace is shown as "Lambeth, Surrey, England" - I think this is a "good" place and county?.
This family are a nightmare. The man's name was, I think, John CANFILL. In 1871 it was indexed as CANDILL, and in 1881, CUNFILL!
Goodness knows how "Ewert Borough" (or variants) connects with "Lambeth, Surrey" :)

Mark
14-03-2005, 8:55 PM
My guess is a mis-spell of Ewell in Surrey, which is currently "Epsom & Ewell Borough"

Mark

Patrisia
14-03-2005, 9:00 PM
That makes a kind of sense. Lambeth is next to Southwark, pronounced Suthark
Lambeth was then part of Surrey county, although now London.
It is not exactly next door to Hammersmith or East sheen, south London rather than west, but yes, a *good* place and county.

I suppose it depends on what Dad's job was, the kind that that took him across London, as to why Lambeth or Southwark.

Perhaps Ewart was the ennumerator's guess at Southwark, if he came from west London and had never been south :D

As to Canfill etc ......good luck!

Mary Young
14-03-2005, 9:07 PM
Thanks, Patrisia. Yes, these places all sound reasonably near - and the birthplace was for the "odd man out" i.e. a son-in-law, the others in the household were a widow and her children including a "married" daughter and grandchild. (The daughter and Mr Canfill/Candill/Cunfill didn't marry till 1879 - but that's another story) ;)

Peter Goodey
14-03-2005, 9:17 PM
"My guess is a mis-spell of Ewell in Surrey"

'Ewerl' eh? Good thinking. I'll buy that.