PDA

View Full Version : the queens head ale house gateshead

lorraine66
17-07-2009, 9:07 AM
My ancestor was the supposed publican of the queens head ale house, bottle bank, gateshead in 1901. Did publican mean the owner or would he have been like a manager of the ale house. His family lived there as well. Was a bit of a rough area at that time. I am wondering if there was a strong scottish community at the time as well in the area.

much appreciated

Peter Goodey
17-07-2009, 9:55 AM
I don't think managed pubs were common in those days. It's more likely he was a tenant.

But you don't have to speculate. Search out the licensing registers for the area at the appropriate record office. This includes the name of the owner, probably a brewery. While you're at it, you'll be able to track your ancestor's movements from pub to pub.

All this is subject to survival of the documents, of course.

sharpy45
17-07-2009, 5:23 PM
I'd agree with Peter regarding the likelyhood of the pub being a tenancy. A quick web search has offered up the following site which has a photo of the pub boarded up. http://www.gateshead-pubs.com/5757.html, see about half way down the page, and another one here http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=ext&f=&s=&record=17&name_title=queen.

Bottle Bank was once at the heart of Gateshead as it led up from the original Tyne Bridge and formed one of the main shopping streets in the town. Much of Bottle Bank was demolished to make way for the current Tyne Bridge in the 1920s, The Queens Head was eventually demolished in 2001 to make way for the new Gateshead Hilton hotel.

I don't know if Bottle Bank was a particularly Scottish area but clearly Tyneside as a whole has strong historical links with Scotland, so much so that during WW1 four battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers were raised at Newcastle as the Tyneside Scottish.

Hope this helps

Jon

lorraine66
26-07-2009, 5:16 PM
thank you all very much for all the information to help me on my way. I couldnt find a record for my gggrandfather but I will keep trying.

Peter Goodey
26-07-2009, 5:34 PM
Have you visited the record office?