PDA

View Full Version : ROSSITER, William Leopold

bridgy
17-07-2009, 6:53 AM
Hope this is the right forum for this post. If not I would appreciate some kind person moving it for me. :)
I'm looking for William L Rossiter who was the younger brother to my great grandfather Richard Wellbank Rossiter. William was born in Sydney, NSW, Aust in 1875 according to the NSW BDM. He served in the Boer War with an entry date of 16 Mar 1901 - this information from Queenslanders on the Veldt - Database Search. No Military details given and NOK listed as his brother, my g grandfather.
Have a copy of his Military service record from the Qld State Archives which is just a record of his pay, showing him being paid in Sth Africa from April. However - and this is where I need your help - this record also shows him being discharged in South Africa 26th March 1902.
So if he did stay there, how can I find out anything about his life after 1902?
Do hope someone can help.
Regards
Jan

stickymone
17-07-2009, 4:01 PM
Hi Jan,

Got any regiments and service number for him?

bridgy
18-07-2009, 5:05 AM
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
Here are the only details I have on this guy.
ROSSITER William Leopold.
No rank.
Sth African conflict.
Entry date 16 Mar 1901.
Entry number 12.
No military details at all
and NOK c/- R.W. Rossiter (brother), Ayr, Lower Burdekin via Townsville.

His pay records from the Qld State Archives only show money amounts and periods of pay.
Under 'remarks' is noted "On board Templemere (or Templemore).
Also 01/965 O.C. Fifth (could this help?) plus other words I can't read except for Bloomfontein 19/07/01.
1/- per diem in South Africa, balance to G.S. Bank.
Then discharged in South Africa 26 Mar 02.

Stickymore, is this any help to you? I really hope so.

Thank you once again.
Regards
Jan

stickymone
18-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi Jan,

I see Finbar has done all the hard work (I'm sure he never sleeps;)) If you want a brief look at their involvement have a look here http://www.angloboerwar.com/units/queens_5th_cont.htm

Stickymone

bridgy
19-07-2009, 3:37 AM
Hi Stickymore and Finbar
Thank you both for your kind help. All links were a big help for info before he was discharged but not after.
Finbar, just an aside. My husbands great uncle served in the Fourth (Queensland Imperial Bushmen) Contingent and took his own life a couple of years after returning. The family wonder if it was because of his war service in Sth Africa.
I wonder if you or anyone can now help me find him in Sth Africa?
Have tried searching various ways but no luck as yet. Maybe I'll put him behind that brick wall along with his grandfather |banghead|.
Once more many thanks.
Regards
Jan