PDA

View Full Version : Rabbi Leib Fischeles

DBCoup
14-07-2009, 2:26 AM
This is either a "brick wall" or a "wailing wall" ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_ben_Uri_Shraga_Phoebus
"Samuel ben Uri Shraga Phoebus (alternatively, "Or Sharga", "Faivish", "Fayvish", "Faibesh", etc.) (Hebrew: שמואל בן אור שאגרא פיביש) was a Polish rabbi and Talmudist of Woydyslaw in the second half of the 17th century. In his early youth he was a pupil of Rabbi Heshel in Cracow, and on the latter's death he continued his studies under R. Heshel's successor, Rabbi Leib Fischeles, whose daughter he married."

Also other sources (Jewish Encyclopedia, etc) all of which display essentially the same information.

Try as I might I cannot find anything else about Rabbi Leib Fischeles. Or Samuel ben Uri Shraga Phoebus for that matter.

Any ideas o learned ones

phillip
14-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Have you looked on Google Books which contain very early sources - there appear to be various references to the people you are looking for. Also, see 'The Unbroken Chain' Neil Rosenstein 1990 which contains family trees on many Rabbi.
Have you also checked the Hyamson and Colyer Ferguson records plus the JGSGB Library index. I suspect you will discover them amongst these sources.
Phillip