PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Url

Lizzy9
12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me. A while ago I found online 'Indexes at the West Riding Registry of Deeds' stupidly I've lost the url. The site had a ref for an 1890 will I'm interested in, it gave vol, page, and deed number.

Does anyone know which website this would be?

Thanks.

pipsqueak
12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Typed it into Google and found this:
http://www.yorksburnett.org/wdeeds.htm

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for trying Pipsqueak, but that site appears to have only Burnett's which is not the surname I'm interested in. The site I found and subsequently lost, had many different surnames.

I'm so cross with myself.

Hugh Thompson
13-07-2009, 5:50 AM
Is it this one Slizzy.
Hugh.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=rod.html

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 1:25 PM
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your input, but that site isn't the one. The one I'm looking for has a name index with ref for vol, page and deed number.

I know it exists, or at least did exist a couple of months back as my ancestor died in 1884, and from the said site I found his will wasn't published until 1890.

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 3:10 PM
Yes, I have tried a google search but as his name was 'John Smith Armitage' Google is throwing up John Smiths and John Armitages. Armitage is/was a common name in Huddersfield and coupled with John you can imagine how many hits I'm getting. I tried entering "john smith armitage" wills deeds West Yorkshire, bur Google didn't find any documents.

This experience has taught me a lesson. I will in future be more careful ensuring I write down all references.

Browneyes
13-07-2009, 4:16 PM
Was it from this site?
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~todmordenandwalsden/willsindex.htm#RS

(Not sure if it's a commercial site or not so you'll need to paste it into the address bar)

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 6:35 PM
A great site Browneyes and will be useful to some, however it doesn't cover Huddersfield.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Browneyes
13-07-2009, 6:53 PM
Poop! :(

Do you think 'Armitage' or 'Smith' might have been spelt differently or the initials J.S. were used?

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 7:12 PM
Poop! :(

Do you think 'Armitage' or 'Smith' might have been spelt differently or the initials J.S. were used?

No, Browneyes. The only reason I was certain it was my rellie was because it had his full name, otherwise it could have been any one of 100's of John Armitages'.

I can't believe what an idiot I've been. I spent six hours searching yesterday, to no avail.

Browneyes
13-07-2009, 7:21 PM
I wonder if it was on a website that doesn't exist anymore.

Don't suppose you bookmarked it?

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 8:28 PM
I wonder if it was on a website that doesn't exist anymore. COULD BE THE CASE.

Don't suppose you bookmarked it? NO, how silly am I? Won't get caught again though, I'll bookmark and triplicate everything.

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 9:02 PM
I had a thought, that maybe I found the ref for John Smith Armitage's will on the Kirkheaton OPC website. I have just tried to access the site and it seems it no longer exists GRRRR.

Browneyes
13-07-2009, 10:57 PM
According to a letter dated July 7th '08 that appeared in the Huddersfield Examiner (with the name "Sara Bull" at the top? ...presumably one of the staff there?) the site belonged to the uncle of a family historian called John R Ellam from Dalton. If you google his name and Dalton you'll find the letter easily. Just thought you might be interested. :D

Lizzy9
13-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Thank you, Browneyes.

I've just read the letter and yes, it was interesting. I note it was written about a year ago, and John R Ellam sounded passionate about family history, so hopefully the Kirkheaton site will re-emerge. I don't know for sure it's the site I found the ref for John Smith Armitage's will, but I do know the site was a most valuable resource for me and, I presume many others.