PDA

View Full Version : looking for james nodding durham b:1886

BILL100
11-07-2009, 9:53 AM
hi there i am looking for any info about james nodding b:1886 eryholme yorkshire working in duram as a shunter railway co, any railway info greatly recieved |help|

Sandyhall
11-07-2009, 10:11 AM
hi there i am looking for any info about james nodding b:1886 eryholme yorkshire working in duram as a shunter railway co, any railway info greatly recieved |help|

Hi
Not quite sure what it is you are looking for.
Info about James Nodding or info about him working on the Railway.
Tell us what you already know about him.
Have you got Birth, Marriages, Deaths, parents names, any siblings, Grandparents names etc

Sandy

BILL100
11-07-2009, 3:53 PM
hi there sorry for not being very clear but i am after info to do with him or his family involement with the railway and what his job would involved and any other info available|bowdown|

elaine webb
11-07-2009, 5:17 PM
Hi Bill,

This might be your James Nodding in the 1891 census with his parents and siblings:

Thomas Nodding father born, Egglestone, Durham (b.1842)
Margaret Nodding mother born Thirsk, Yorkshire (b.1841)

John Nodding - aged 18yrs
Mary " " 14yrs
Isabella " " 11yrs
Robert " " 8yrs
James " " 5yrs
William E " " 1 yr

They were all living in Killerby.

1901 census shows them in Middridge Grange, Shildon all Saints

Parents - Thomas and Margaret

siblings:

Peter Nodding aged 26yrs
Isabella " 21 yrs
Robert " 19yrs
James " 15yrs (bricklayers labourer)
William E " 11yrs
Issac " 3yrs

RG13 piece 4648 Fol 19 page 30

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Elaine.:)

P.S. Not found any mention of the railway though, perhaps this was when he was older?? Might find him in the 1911 census for you, will check.

elaine webb
11-07-2009, 5:27 PM
Hi Bill,

Just checked for you on the 1911 census (I only used 10 credits but I've done all my searching so I don't mind)!!

James Nodding aged 25yrs Shunter Railway Company (married 6 yrs) to -
Ada Nodding aged 25yrs born in New Shildon, Durham,

Children:

Frederick aged 8yrs
James aged 3yrs.

Well I think this must be your family, hope I'm correct and all this info rings a bell with you,

Best wishes

Elaine.

P.S. I'm not sure how you find any info on his job but I'm certain other members on here will advise you on that:)

elaine webb
11-07-2009, 6:06 PM
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=124

Bill,

I just found this link to The National Archives it might help you search for your railwaymen ancestors.

Elaine.

stickymone
11-07-2009, 9:53 PM
Looks like your man is recorded on the Black sheep Index under railwayman that have been involved in incidents/accidents

Nodding J 24years NER Shunter Shildon 1910

Although I can find no record of an accident in Shildon in 1910 there was a collision at Darlington if you google "Darlington railway accident 1910" You'll find some photos

Don't forget the the National Railway Museum is at Shildon so worth making enquiries there. Also Darlington has it own Rail Museum which holds records of Rail Accidents for 1910

Black sheep Index is a commercial site so if you want to see what they have for yourself you will have to google them and follow the links for railways

BILL100
12-07-2009, 9:58 AM
hi there everyone thats been a great help all info seems to gell with mine,thanks elaine for using your credits, i have joined and bought some credits and downloaded the census for 1911 and you were right,
also stikymone thanks for your info i will contact the museum for info about the accident at darlington and will visit the black sheep index again many thanks to all who helped|jumphappy|bowdown|