PDA

View Full Version : St Mary's Bulwell

Christine
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I've just been noting lots of Eveley family burials at St Mary's in Bulwell and wonder if anyone can tell me if there is a churchyard with gravestones still existing there.

Keyboard86
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Christine just did Google search for St marys' Bulwell, there are 4 of them! Would suggest that the time scale(years) you are researching the huge Virgin and all Souls church known as St Marys' in N E Nottingham is the one to look at.

Google St marys Bulwell and take your pick.

Best regards
Keyboard 86

ps I'm a welshman but can rember how huge this church looks when I visited Nottingham.|jumphappy

Peter Goodey
10-07-2009, 3:51 PM
Sorry I don't know about the churchyard but I think you'll find that there's just the one ancient parish church of St Mary, Bulwell. Registers date from 1620, I believe.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/Bulwell/index.html

Mitch in Notts
10-07-2009, 7:10 PM
Hi

Bulwell St Marys does have quite a sizeable Churchyard but there are not a great number of surviving stones in it (not one of mine and we had loads of relatives in Bulwell).
The majority of post 1900 burials are in Northern Cemetery on Hempshill Lane. Surprisingly there are very few surviving early headstones there - and yet again despite knowing some of mine had headstones none survived. I understand Nottingham City Council want about £30 for a gravestone search/location map.

Hope that of use

Mitch

Christine
11-07-2009, 2:47 PM
I had googled St Mary the Virgin and All Souls before posting but couldn't find a picture of the churchyard.

The burials I have dates for were from 1754 to 1873 so it looks as if I'd be lucky to find any of them not only remaining but also readable.

It's always nice to find inscriptions, they add so much more to the plain name and dates. Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful info.

Christine

Peter Goodey
11-07-2009, 5:14 PM
I had googled St Mary the Virgin and All Souls before posting but couldn't find a picture of the churchyard.

When Googlng for pictures, don't forget to click on 'Images'.

Christine
12-07-2009, 9:19 AM
Forgot to do that - problem was I'd Yahoo'd it.

Wouldn't it be handy though if they had close up pictures of the grave inscriptions on Google.