PDA

View Full Version : Extra-Large File

Carmy
08-07-2009, 3:31 PM
Is there a limit to file size? Will I have problems uploading?

I've uploaded files of 1,000 entries with no problem but, currently, I'm working on a baptism file of 1,058 entries (1870 - 1918). Within the file, the clerk made several errors. Several Registration Numbers were duplicated and I entered notes on every entry -- the original and the duplicated -- in the hope it will be less confusing for researchers down the line. Abode names are also long for most entries. This is a massive file!

I can't split the file because Excel Viewer won't let me make any changes.

I am at entry 830 right now. When done, how likely is it that FreeReg will crash when I upload? Should I continue or stop now and boot the file off my computer? I don't want to waste my time or yours when there are other files to do.

Any suggestions? Take a chance and continue? One thing's for certain, I'm not the one who will be redoing this file if it won't upload as is.

Kirk Dawson
08-07-2009, 3:38 PM
Is there a limit to file size? Will I have problems uploading?

I've uploaded files of 1,000 entries with no problem but, currently, I'm working on a baptism file of 1,058 entries (1870 - 1918). Within the file, the clerk made several errors. Several Registration Numbers were duplicated and I entered notes on every entry -- the original and the duplicated -- in the hope it will be less confusing for researchers down the line. Abode names are also long for most entries. This is a massive file!

I can't split the file because Excel Viewer won't let me make any changes.

I am at entry 830 right now. When done, how likely is it that FreeReg will crash when I upload? Should I continue or stop now and boot the file off my computer? I don't want to waste my time or yours when there are other files to do.

Any suggestions? Take a chance and continue? One thing's for certain, I'm not the one who will be redoing this file if it won't upload as is.

There is no real limit; files of 10,000 or more records upload. It may take a few minutes to do the quality control and also to upload if you have a slow connection.

My advise is to stop at the 2-3,000 record level and start a new project to continue with entry. This ensures that upload times remain reasonable. If you are using WinREG2 then file naming will be automatically adjusted each time you start a new project for the same place and church.

Kirk

Carmy
08-07-2009, 3:42 PM
Thanks, Kirk.

I don't mind how long it takes to upload, as long as it does. I'm going to bash on. Mind you, it will be hard typing with my fingers crossed.

Kirk Dawson
08-07-2009, 3:44 PM
Thanks, Kirk.

I don't mind how long it takes to upload, as long as it does. I'm going to bash on. Mind you, it will be hard typing with my fingers crossed.

You can uncross them. Take my word for it.

Kirk

Mike Fry
08-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Kirk.

As Kirk, says. The FreeREG upload process really doesn't worry too much about file size. For your own peace of mind, I would suggest that you a) switch to using WinREG/2 and b) resort to using smaller files.

Carmy
09-07-2009, 2:20 AM
Thanks Kirk and Mike.

I'm using WinReg 2.01.29. On entry 950 and counting.

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice about the file size. I come in at the second stage -- transferring via Excel to WinReg. Without the full Excel program (just the viewer) there isn't much I can do to split the file in half.

I'm trusting you, Kirk. If it won't upload, I'll be emailing it to you. LOL

Carmy

Kirk Dawson
09-07-2009, 1:44 PM
Thanks Kirk and Mike.

I'm using WinReg 2.01.29. On entry 950 and counting.

Carmy

Carmy you really should update your version of WinREG at some stage.

We are currently at version 34 and have fixed several bugs in 29 as well as adding a large number of new features including a direct upload from WinREG to the Data Server.

To update; Go to Help and run the Chec for Updates option.

Kirk

Carmy
09-07-2009, 2:08 PM
Ooh, I didn't know that.

Thanks, Kirk, I'll certainly update. But I'll probably finish the current file first. If I lost it, I'd probably end up hairless and dumb after all the screaming.

Mike Fry
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Ooh, I didn't know that.

Thanks, Kirk, I'll certainly update. But I'll probably finish the current file first. If I lost it, I'd probably end up hairless and dumb after all the screaming.

I can only reiterate what Kirk has said. And add, that at the end of the month, WinREG/2 will be able to read and correct files output from EXCEL. So, look for 2.1.35.

Carmy
10-07-2009, 1:56 PM
Thanks, Mike.

I'm too nervous to update while I'm in the middle of a file, but I will do it as soon as this one's finished.

I deleted Excel from my computer years ago because I never used it and it took up a lot of memory. When I decided to help out with transcribing, I downloaded an Excel Viewer from Microsoft. It works great but I can't change or edit anything in a file. Maybe that's good because I can't accidentally delete an entry. But it means I also can't split a file into two smaller ones.

We'll soon know if my monster will upload problem free. It isn't just the line count that makes it large, I've uploaded large-line files before without problem, it's the amount of information and notes on every entry that worries me.

I'll be holding my breath and I'll let you know if all goes well.

Carmy
10-07-2009, 9:15 PM
It's uploaded!
Whew!

v.wells
10-07-2009, 9:40 PM
Good! you can breathe now Carmy:D

Kirk Dawson
10-07-2009, 9:43 PM
It's uploaded!
Whew!

Oh yee of little faith in the word of the captain.

:)

Kirk

Carmy
10-07-2009, 9:50 PM
LOL It's good to breathe again.

I really was worried because of the amount of information in the file, and the numerous clerk (not transcriber) errors and omissions. It was a good learning experience.

I'm off to update FreeReg.