PDA

View Full Version : grandad help

lyndy
12-03-2005, 8:03 PM
I would like to thank all who have helped me in my efferts to locate details about my grandad William Davies i am still looking ,it is very confusing i have him in 1901 as living with my grandmother and family in Enville St Ashton Under Llyne i have his marriage certificate with his father named as Joseph i have him down as being born in manchester but i still can`t find anything in the 1871 cencus although i have his birth date as 1866 -1867 some one somewhere must be able to find him

ruthrrr
12-03-2005, 9:53 PM
There is a WILLIAM ALEXANDER DAVIES age 5 born in Ashton Under Lyne - do you know what his middle name was?

Catherine Davies 44 b Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Wife a cotton weaver
Catherine Davies 10 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Daughter
Ellen Davies 8 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Daughter
John Davies 20 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Son
Mary Jane Davies 17 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Daughter Cotton weaver
Sarah Ann Davies 15 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Daughter Cotton weaver
William Davies 55 born Newport Pagnell Buks Head A shoemaker
William Alexander Davies 5 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Son
Ref: RG10/4072 F42 P32

Ruth

Just posted this and realised that the father's name not Joseph...will try again.

lyndy
13-03-2005, 9:27 AM
thanksyou ruth ,william didnt have a middle name

Trish
13-03-2005, 1:07 PM
thanksyou ruth ,william didnt have a middle nameLyndy,

Perhaps you could summarize what you do know about your grandfather for those of us who haven't been following your search that closely thus far but would like to try and help out.

For example, you refer to having found him in the 1901 cenus with his family on Enville Street... Can you summarize what was in that entry -- like his wife's name, children's names, etc? ..would give the rest of us a couple of threads to try and take back to previous years without first having to look for what you found in 1901...

Regards,
Trish

lyndy
14-03-2005, 8:51 PM
Hi Trish,here is what i know so far in 1893 at a place called red bank preswich my grandad William Davies married Kate Morris and Williams fathers name was Joseph ,kates father was Moses. Then on the 1901 census i have ,living at 27 Enville St Ashton Underlyne.
William Davies age 34 a soldier seving in the manchester regiment
Kate age 29
Miriam age 6
Abraham age 5
Fanny age 2
Henry age 6 month.
Then in 1904 on my fathers birth certificate they lived in Leam St Ashton Underlyne
There is no mistake that this is my grandfather but i can find nothing else i hope this info will help someone help me, thankyou to everyone Lyndy

Mark
14-03-2005, 9:02 PM
And on the marriage certificate what was Joseph (his father's) occupation? That might help finding them in the 1881 Census.

Mark

lyndy
14-03-2005, 9:12 PM
hi mark on the marriage certificate it stated that joseph was a taylor but he was not a witness to the marriage

Mark
14-03-2005, 9:53 PM
I can see a William DAVIES aged 15 born Prescot, Lancashire on the 1881 Census, shown as wife's son in household headed by Thomas HENDERSON (Glass blower) & Margaret HENDERSON. They were both born St Helen's, Lancs.

The youngest "wife's son" was a Thomas DAVIES aged 9, which would infer than in 1871, Margaret (mother) was still a DAVIES, though maybe a widow.

Can't see a William DAVIES son of a Joseph born 1862-1871 that otherwise fits your criteria.

Mark

Trish
15-03-2005, 6:11 AM
I can see a William DAVIES aged 15 born Prescot, Lancashire on the 1881 Census, shown as wife's son in household headed by Thomas HENDERSON (Glass blower) & Margaret HENDERSON. They were both born St Helen's, Lancs.

The youngest "wife's son" was a Thomas DAVIES aged 9, which would infer than in 1871, Margaret (mother) was still a DAVIES, though maybe a widow.

Can't see a William DAVIES son of a Joseph born 1862-1871 that otherwise fits your criteria.

MarkI looked up Margaret and family on the 1871 census. She's there with her husband but his name is John. Children are Mary J., 8 years, William, 6, and Margaret, 2.

There's a Joseph DAVIES, 33, listed on the 1871 census in the same area but he is a Glass Polisher -- not a tailor -- and his wife, Margaret, is a Dress Maker. They are listed as lodgers living on Liverpool Road in Prescot with an older DAVIES couple [aged 72 and 69] who are probably Joseph's parents. Unfortunately, their first names are obscured by the enumerator overwriting his own handwriting at least once. The elder Mr. Davies is an annuitant. But, disappointingly, there are no children in the household.

All 4, 5 and 6 year old Williams that I can see in the 1871 census have fathers named something other than Joseph. Maybe he is there under a variation of DAVIES -- like DAVIS.

Will keep looking...

Trish

lyndy
07-04-2005, 4:11 PM
i would like to thankyou all very much for your effert in helping me lyndy

lyndy
07-04-2005, 4:18 PM
thanks mark that wasnt him though