PDA

View Full Version : Steamship Lauderdale

Hilary-P
07-07-2009, 2:01 AM
Hi Can anyone help me? I am trying to find the crew list of the Steamship Lauderdale Built in 1889 1071 ton and was wrecked in Greymouth New Zealand in February 1910 Vessel ID:1095210 Official No:95210. Anything would be appreciated
Thank you , Hilary

gortonboy
07-07-2009, 5:04 AM
hi,,cant help with the ships list....but do you have a photo of the ship? if not,,would you like to get hold of one ?

[removal of link to commercial site ]

scroll down to "shipping"

ChristineR
07-07-2009, 5:30 AM
Have you been able to locate a newspaper report of the shipwreck? They will often print a full list of the deceased.

edited later - I see that there was no loss of life, the ship having been abandoned before breaking up during a gale and losing the timber cargo. Captain Clark was the master at the time, relieving Captain Holm.
newspaper reports in the Australian papers at http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
The date according to those reports was June 27 1910.

By 1913 there is mention of another steamer Lauderdale, they did reuse names once vessels were lost.

georgiep
07-07-2009, 5:58 AM
Hi Christine
I don't know if anyone died in the shipwreck as I found a postcard thro Google of the Captain being winched ashore from the tilting ship.

Here's a link Hilary to the National Archives although I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at getting around in this site.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=129&j=1

I believe findmypa** also have crew lists.
[remove link - please google findmy past]
Georgie

Hugh Thompson
07-07-2009, 6:52 AM
Hi Georgie, I think this is what you're after.
Hugh.:)

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1909/05/149lau.htm

Hugh Thompson
07-07-2009, 6:54 AM
Sorry Hilary, I just called you Georgie:D:o:o
Hugh:)

ChristineR
07-07-2009, 7:01 AM
Well spotted Hugh :) I read a few of the newspaper reports, Captain Holm went ashore when it was beached, and a Captain Clark took over. Apparently if a tug had been sent right away they would have been able to save the ship.

That same website will most likely will have a later list, if not now, in the future. A brilliant site.

link to the home page http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Hugh Thompson
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Christine, it is one of those sites I come back to quite often, also it has the added bonus of having the scan from the original manifest at the bottom of the page.
Hugh.:)

Hilary-P
07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
yes I do have a Photo of the Ship can I email it to you if so can you send me your email address
Thanks so much

ChristineR
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
yes I do have a Photo of the Ship can I email it to you if so can you send me your email address
Thanks so much

Hi Hilary, Gortonboy was pointing out where you could get a photo, kindly helping out. I am sorry, I was a little over zealous with removing the link, but the site did not have a clear name for me to advise to use in a search engine. But I would imagine putting in the keyword photo and the name of the ship would find it.

Did you find your person on the earlier crew list that Hugh found?

Hilary-P
08-07-2009, 1:02 AM
I need the crew list at the time of the ship wreck as I think my grandfather was the Cook on that ship His Name was Cuthbert Peacock
Thanks so much for your help

Hilary-P
08-07-2009, 1:18 AM
Hi thanks for that but the crew list I need is at the time of the wreck as my Grandfather Cuthbert peacock was suposed to have bee on board as the cook
I am really gratful for your help thank you regards Hilary

Hilary-P
08-07-2009, 1:22 AM
yes when a ship wreck is rebult they used to rename them. LAUDERDALE, the second was built to replace the first of the name but Union Line acquired Maoriland Shipping in 1915, and so renamed the second Lauderdale in their naming style, and it became KOKIRI. Sold overseas in 1927, and under the name TAURUS, Phillipine owner, scuttled Dec.1941 by USN to avoid capture by Japanese who raised it repaired it and it was finally lost off Manila in February 1945 under Japanese flag.