PDA

View Full Version : Wellington bomber crew question.

Magpie1
06-07-2009, 1:21 PM
I've been told that one of the family members I am researching use to fly on Wellington bomber planes in WW2 I don't have much on this person. Is there anyway I confirm this story and find out if he was part of a Wellington bomber crew? He did survive the war.

stickymone
06-07-2009, 4:50 PM
I've been told that one of the family members I am researching use to fly on Wellington bomber planes in WW2 I don't have much on this person. Is there anyway I confirm this story and find out if he was part of a Wellington bomber crew? He did survive the war.

It really depends on how much info you have. His service number would be good, was he an officer or NCO?

Do you know if he received any awards?

The Archives holds a vast amount of info on those that served in the RAF unfortunately they do not hold service records, these are still in the hands of the MOD but copies can be obtained if you can prove you are next of kin

Have a look at The Archives reseach guide for the RAF

Also have a look at how to obtain service records info can be found here http://www.veterans-uk.info/index.html

Magpie1
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Thank you for the reply. I don't have any information on his war service at all. I have his date of birth and death, I have found him on the 1911 census so got his mother and fathers details and I'm slowly working my way back. Is it a lost cause trying to find out anything without his service number etc.?

stickymone
06-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi Magpie,

No it's not a lost cause, it's more a case of how far do you want to go with this chap.

There is a nominal index for the RAF at Kew It's on either microfilm or fiche I can't remember which, but I used it to get my Father-in-laws service number which then enabled my wife to apply for his service record. The downside is that it's a visit to Kew as it can't be done online

Try searching for him on "Documentsonline" on TNA site There's a section under Combat Reports that you can search. They have about 20,000 names on there, you never know unless you try.;)

If he was flight deck he may well have been awarded the DFC I know that can be searched online I just can't remember where:confused:

I'll have to have a look around for it and come back to you

Regards

Stickymone

Geoffers
07-07-2009, 8:20 AM
See the above reply, also.........

I've been told that one of the family members I am researching use to fly on Wellington bomber planes in WW2 I don't have much on this person. Is there anyway I confirm this story

Next-of-kin of this family member should be able to obtain his service record which would provide useful information - see this link on the Veterans' Agency web-site (http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html)

Do any family members have his medals? If so, is any detail engraved around the rim of any of them?