PDA

View Full Version : WEBB:Smethwick, Aston, Winson Green

andrewwebb
12-03-2005, 10:44 AM
My GGGrandfather, George WEBB (1844-1898) was a steel pen toolmaker and was born in Central Birmingham. Married Sarah Ann SHIPMAN (c.1865, marriage not found yet)and they had childen, George Henry, Gertrude, Florence, William, Thomas Oliver, and Howard Fred.

Lived at Hingeston Street, Winson Green, Inkerman Street Aston in 1870's and moved to Shireland Road, Smethwick by the time of the 1891 census. George died at this last address in 1898.

George's father was Thomas WEBB (1806-1879), lampmaker and Brass founder. Married Martha PRICE in 1836 at St.Bartholomew's, Edgbaston.
Their children were;William, George(mentioned above) Thomas, Sarah Ann, Harriett and Ann.

I have found on the IGI the most likely parents for Thomas as George Bissell WEBB and Sarah(maiden name unknown to date).
I have a marriage certificate for Sarah Ann above who married a John DEAKES in 1841 and her father is recorded as a Brass Founder.

Also found on the IGI is a baptism for George Bissell WEBB in 1784 at St Martins, Birmingham;parents William WEBB and Mary(nee BISSELL). Other children aslo found for this couple baptised at St.Martins.

Has any researcher come across any of these families ?? I have some more information on the marrigaes of various individuals, eg. one moved to London to the Vauxhall area and another to Brighton.

Also found out that GGGrandfather George's widow Sarah Ann had after his death in 1898 remarried a Charles WARLEY (evidence from the 1901 census).

betsywpa
02-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I am looking for information on a Charles Webb who married my Husbands Great Grandmother, Flora A Lawrence Webb. She came to US but not sure if he came with her or not. She was born in Swaffham Bulbeck Camb. England. Do you have any history on a Charles