PDA

View Full Version : Surname - BAXENDALE - Chorley, Bolton

Fitty
11-10-2004, 6:25 PM
Researching William Baxendale born 1807 in Chorley. He married Catherine ? (yet to be confirmed) from Halliwell. They had 2 sons John and William, both born in Bolton 1835 and 1837 . Catherine and her sons are on the 1841 Census but there is no mention of William. A daughter Jane was born in 1849/50. The family then moved to Gildersome sometime after Jane was born as they are listed on the 1851 Census for W Yorks. They had another daughter Mary Marie Baxendale born in Hunslet.
Williams occupation was a Spinner on Johns Baptism record but then became a miner when they moved to yorkshire. He is also mentioned on Johns wedding as Miner Deceased.

I then found Mary Marie on the 1881 living with husband Samuel Hindle (head) and mother in law Rebk Baxendale 72 Rochdale.

I thought this might have been mis transcribed but surely not from Catherine to Rebk? Catherine died in leeds 1886 and i can't find her on the 1881 census. Also i can't find any other references regarding Rebk.

Any clues?

Fitty
26-10-2004, 4:36 AM
I've now had the Parish Record scan from Chorley Library and it shows that Williams Parents were John and Mary Baxendale, William was born in Heapey in 1807. I,m hoping to get to Chorley myself soon to see if William had any Siblings.
Someone very kindly looked up the marriage for William and Catherine and i now know that Catherine's maiden name was TOMLINSON and she was born in Halliwell, Lancs.

Still looking for anyone who connects with this family.

Kate
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I can't see any connection at present, but the following site may interest you: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~genmaps/Baxendell.htm

Also: Mary BAXENDALE, born 1790 (parents Josiah BAXENDALE and Mabella SALISBURY) married Samuel HINDE on 28 Jan 1817. This is from Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965 edition I think, which states that they had issue, but does not list the children. I wonder if there is a connection between Samuels HINDE and HINDLE, and a cousin marriage somewhere down the line?

Fitty
05-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I've got this site saved in my Fav's but as yet can't find a link. I think my Baxendales were farmers/weavers in the heapey area. There were Baxendale farmers on the 1871 Census living in Heapey. As it was only a very small Village i,m sure my lot must be related somehow...cousin's or something, Maybe even John's brother.

Hindle i believe also originated from Lancashire..so there could well be a link there somewhere. The Hindle family i've got were all born in Leeds and i've yet to trace them back further than the 1881. I do have a name index for the Leeds 1861 but unfortunately it doe'snt cover Hunslet, which is where the family lived at the time.

Thanks again

Christine

eileenb
05-11-2004, 12:55 PM
hI

Have you got the following from 1871 census?

RG10 3954 76 29
44 George St, Bury, Lancs

Henry Hindle Head Married 39 Iron Moulder born Leeds Yorks
Elizabeth Hindle Wife Married 39 born Duckinfield Cheshire
Sarah Daur 4 Scholar born Bury Lancs
Elizabeth Daur 4months born Bury Lancs
Henry Bates Boarder Wid 43 Mechanical Draftsman born Halifax Yorks
George Coombs Boarder UM 22 Mechanic born Manchester Lancs
Thomas Eastham Boarder UM 26 Mechanic born Accrington Lancs.

The first thougt as far as your missing Catherine goes seems to be to check the original 1881 census to see if she was transcribed incorrectly as Rebk. Stranger things have happened and it seems a very odd coincidence that Rebk is also mother in law to Samuel Hindle.

Eileen

Fitty
05-11-2004, 1:28 PM
I,m sure this Rebk is really my Catherine...how on earth they got it wrong i'll never know. Your're right though, i won't know for sure until i see the actual original 1881.

I can find a death for Catherine but not one for Rebk.

If you think is confusing you should see the other half of my tree lol.

I've save old Henry Hindle...just incase he's a relative of Samuel and many thanks for that :)

Fitty

Cornish Maid
17-12-2004, 1:28 AM
As it happens I have just finished flogging my way through the Chorley PRs. I can tell you that there are UMPTEEN Baxendales listed, starting about 1560!

I can tell you also that there are many many Baxendales listed in the Leyland Parish Regs, which start about 1600.

It seems that Heapey people (and Wheelton people) used both Churches, I havent been able to fathom out why. This means that say, five children get baptised in Chorley and five in Leyland, not necessarily consecutively either.

I apologise if you already know this, but you are aware that you can see these and many other PRs on film at your local LDS Family History Centre?

Geoffers
17-12-2004, 9:09 AM
I,m sure this Rebk is really my Catherine...how on earth they got it wrong i'll never know. Your're right though, i won't know for sure until i see the actual original 1881.
A couple of things spring to mind for the possible error.

First, the transript of the enumerator's book, which in turn is a transcript from the original schedule. So, it may not be the modern transribers who have made the mistake, but rather the original enumerator.

So how can Rebk be confused for Catherine? Well, if Catherine was shortened to Cath it is quite easy.

Working from the last letter forwards, 'k' and 'h' are often confused, lower case 't' with a long lower loop can be easily mistaken for 'b'. The vowels, especially 'a', 'e', 'o' and 'u' are frequently hard to differentiate. That just leaves the first letter. If the original census has an enumerator's mark through a capital 'C' then it could look like 'R' - otherwise if the name was spelt 'Kath' in the enumerator's book/schedule, capital 'K' and 'R' can often be wrongly interpreted.

There is an alternative solution which I'll illustrate with an example. In the 1841 census a member of my family was married to Ann who was born within the county (Norfolk), by 1851 he is married to Elizabeth born in Essex. Initially and not unreasonably, I thought he had married twice - it turns out he married once, to Elizabeth Ann (born Essex). So, could your chap have married Catherine Rebekah? I think my first idea may probably be correct in your case, but checking records should give you the answer.

Good luck and Happy Christmas

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire