PDA

View Full Version : A will or not a will?

micksharp
01-07-2009, 8:18 AM
My great great grandad William Sharp died in 1930 and while I was busy tracing my family tree, my father discovered that one of his cousins (who he's never met) had a copy of William's will. It apparently mentions all of his children (I think 12) plus how much his estate was worth and details of property he owned in the area.

I applied to the probate registry to obtain a copy of this will but instead received a scraggy bit of paper which says that William Sharp died intestate, everything being left to his wife Elizabeth. She died in 1933 (the date on this bit of paper) and also died without leaving a will so everything was being handed to her son Thomas to sort out.

My question is: what is the 'will' that my father's cousin has? Could the probate registry just not have located this original 'will'?

Thanks, Mick

Peter Goodey
01-07-2009, 9:06 AM
Could the probate registry just not have located this original 'will'?

Presumably the widow applied for letters of administration. I believe part of the process is to swear on oath that there was no known will.

MythicalMarian
01-07-2009, 5:45 PM
Mick, is it possible that this will was never sent to probate? Had it lain in a box somewhere for years? It would be interesting to see how it is drawn up and whether or not it is a proper will or just a rough draft, never witnessed, and put with the family papers.

Wills can also be annexed - i.e. set aside due to being improperly drawn up or sundry other reasons. However, even so, annexed wills are registered like others.

But there's also the sad fact that Elizabeth could have hidden the original will - or maybe she never really knew of its existence.

micksharp
01-07-2009, 9:47 PM
Thank you. I am assuming that the 'original' will was probably never sent to probate but don't know why. I'd like to see it but my dad reckons his cousins aren't really interested in the family history - they didn't know they had their great granda's will until he asked them if they had any old photos (which they have - I'll probably never see them!) and they haven't got back in touch with him about anything.

Spangle
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I can only say that I feel your disappointment Mick, in that your Dad's cousin isn't interested or more helpful. I'd suggest that you ask again, saying how much you would love to see the copy of the will, sweetly offering to pay any photocopying charges and postage as a guesture of goodwill and to show how eager you are to see it.

Good luck - I hope you get results and do come back to tell us if you do please!

Peter Goodey
02-07-2009, 5:50 AM
they haven't got back in touch with him about anything.

Why not take the initiative and you get in touch with them?

micksharp
02-07-2009, 7:08 AM
Yes, I'm going to. Shyness on my part I suppose but I need to see what he's got, mainly because, even though I have a great photo of my GGGrandad, I have no ides what my GGrandad Luke Sharp, looked like and I think they have some family group photos!

frogfan
02-07-2009, 8:50 AM
Yes, I'm going to. Shyness on my part I suppose but I need to see what he's got, mainly because, even though I have a great photo of my GGGrandad, I have no ides what my GGrandad Luke Sharp, looked like and I think they have some family group photos!

Hi

a few years ago soon after i started I wrote to a step-cousin of my Gran's from some of the info I got from the cousin I was able to - out of the blue - write to other of my Gran's cousins. I got some great responses and even found one that lives 4 miles down the road, most are scattered around the country! |jumphappy

Hope that you get hold of the info you want

v.wells
02-07-2009, 2:40 PM

Mick, send money for postage and copying. It may garner a better response. Include a small tree/history proving your connection. Good luck |hug|

micksharp
02-07-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Heard some unfavourable reports from my dad about his cousin who has the stuff, and his brother reckons he's a bit awkward too! Never mind, I can only try.