PDA

View Full Version : Robert STAMP b abt 1821 Pattishall

Shayner
26-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I have not been able to confirm Robert Stamp's birth information. He is very consistant in all of the records I have found him in with regards to his birth information.

On his marriage cert, he identifies his father as Edward STAMP cabinet maker. I suspect that his mother's given name is going to be Mary. The naming patterns for his children suggest this.

There is a family in Pattishall at the right time that could be his parents and sibs. I would just like to have a source other than his own word.

I'd appreciate it is anyone could give me a lead for him.

Thank you
Shayne

Joanna Bastyan
26-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Could this be his parennts & siblings in 1841

STAMP Edward 1785 Northamptonshire
Mary 1786 Northamptonshire
William 1826 Northamptonshire
Rebecca 1832 Northamptonshire
Elizabeth 1840 Northamptonshire

Living at Darlescote, Pattishall, Northamptonshire

RG number: HO107 Piece: 811 Book/Folio: 4/21 Page: 9

Joanna Bastyan
26-06-2009, 10:25 PM
In 1861 widowed mother Mary is living with one of her sons.

STAMP, William Head Widower 1824 Shoemaker Pattishall Northamptonshire
STAMP, James Son 1845 Shoemaker Pattishall Northamptonshire
STAMP, Thomas Son 1848 Shoemaker Pattishall Northamptonshire
STAMP, Mary Daughter 1856 Scholar Cold Higham Northamptonshire
STAMP, Elizabeth Daughter 1858 Scholar Cold Higham Northamptonshire
STAMP, Caroline Daughter 1860 Pattishall Northamptonshire
STAMP, Mary Mother Widow 1786 Pattishall Northamptonshire
CHAPMAN, Ann Married 1810 Housekeeper Pattishall Northamptonshire

RG number: RG09 Piece: 925 Folio: 18 Page: 5

janbooth
27-06-2009, 10:55 AM
This is he & Mary in the 1851 census of Pattishall:

HO107/1736, folio ?, page 3
Flitnells, Dalscote, Pattishall

Edward STAMP Head Mar 64 Shoemaker Northamptonsh Tiffield
Mary do Wife Mar 65 do Eastcote
William TANNER Grandson 13 Ap do Moulton
Elizabeth STAMP Grand daur 11 Lacemaker do Dalscote

There is only 1 Edward STAMP on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837 and he is shown as marrying Mary KEY on 9 February 1808 at Pattishall by Banns. He does appear to have been shown as a Shoemaker in the marriages of his children on the Marriage Index.

Janet

Shayner
27-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Thank you both for looking at this for me!

[ He does appear to have been shown as a Shoemaker in the marriages of his children on the Marriage Index.

That is the part that bothers me. Why would Robert list his father as a cabinet maker if he was a shoemaker? I could see it if the trades were related in some way but on the surface they don't seem to be.

I have looked through the 1841 census pages for Pattishall. There are only a very few STAMPs there and no KEYS.

Thank you again,
Shayne

Sandyhall
28-06-2009, 9:18 AM
I have not been able to confirm Robert Stamp's birth information. He is very consistant in all of the records I have found him in with regards to his birth information.

On his marriage cert, he identifies his father as Edward STAMP cabinet maker. I suspect that his mother's given name is going to be Mary. The naming patterns for his children suggest this.

There is a family in Pattishall at the right time that could be his parents and sibs. I would just like to have a source other than his own word.

I'd appreciate it is anyone could give me a lead for him.

Thank you
Shayne

Hi
You probably wont find a actual birth date at this time but you would find a Christening date.
If you can wait until tomorrow I will check the Pattishall Parish Registers for you, mind you some of them are unreadable.

Sandy

Sandyhall
28-06-2009, 9:32 AM
Thomas Stamps - Christening: 21 AUG 1814 Pattishall, Northampton, England
Father: Edward Stamps
Mother: Mary

Source Information: Batch No.: I007288

This is the only Christening on IGI that I could find

Sandy

Shayner
28-06-2009, 1:18 PM
Thank you Sandy. I appreciate your taking the time to look for me. I didn't think about the records possibly being in an unreadable state. I may never get "conclusive" evidence about his birth or baptism.

Shayne

janbooth
28-06-2009, 4:29 PM
Shayne,

Just a few more ideas. In searching for STAMP or variant baptisms on the IGI, I have come across the Edward STAMPE & Mary in the 1841 census who are baptising their children (Sarah 1816, Edward 1818, William 1823, James 1826 & Rebecca 1831) at Wesleyan Methodist in Towcester (pretty close to Pattishall). The 2 STAMP families in Pattishall (i.e. John & Ann and Edward & Mary) could have converted to Methodism sometime after 1814 as they both had a child baptised in Pattishall in that year. It might be worth while searching through the Methodist records of Towcester to see if there are any STAMP baptisms not recorded on the IGI and whether Edward was recorded as a Shoe Maker then.

Also, have you considered looking for Robert's Service records, as in the 1861 census of Chatham he is shown as a Corporal at the District Royal Marine Barracks.

Could Robert perhaps have been illegitimate - there is a Sarah STAMP who marries a Richard WEBSTER at Pattishall on 29 June 1828 and seems to have a connection to Eastcote as all her WEBSTER children were born there according to census records.

Janet

Sandyhall
30-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi

No luck with Pattishall Parish Records Christenings. I looked from 1813 - 1835 no Stamp names at all. None in Towcester Parish Records Christenings either, I looked from 1813 - 1827.

Regards Sandy

Shayner
30-06-2009, 5:31 PM
Thank you Janet and Sandy!

I do have a copy of Robert's attestation records. He lists his birth as he always does in Pattishall, Northamptonshire. As well, he gives his trade as labourer...no help there. How or why he ended up in Chatham who knows. As well, I have found he and his family in the 1851, 1861, and 1871 census. I know he was a greenwhich pensioner but haven't located those records yet.

He was born abt 1821 which might be a bit early to be Sarah's get. You have a point. He could be illegitimate. I hadn't thought of that either.

Thank you again,
Shayne