PDA

View Full Version : boer war

exception60
10-03-2005, 6:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
My name is robina,i was wondering if anyone could help me.My grand-dad served in the sudan campaign "omdaman" in 1898,& south africa 1901 campaign against the boers.My question is one of his medals was the "mons star",what was this medal awarded for he also has another star which looks similar but my cousin is unsure as to the name of it.....???He was also known as an irish guard?Excuse me for being a little un-educated in this matter, this is the only information i have recieved on him from a cousin i found by accident on the net.Can anyone please help me understand these facts.i know nothing thing else about my grandad which saddens me.understanding things about his service in the army would be wonderful...
thanks to all who read this.....robina

Geoffers
10-03-2005, 9:05 AM
My grand-dad served in the sudan campaign "omdaman" in 1898,& south africa 1901 campaign against the boers.My question is one of his medals was the "mons star",what was this medal awarded for he also has another star which looks similar but my cousin is unsure as to the name of it.....???He was also known as an irish guard?
Go to this site
http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm
and click on '1914 start' for an explanatiion of the 1914 (Mons) Star. There are details of the other campaign medals which may help you identify the other award.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Terry Reeves
10-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Robina

From your description he served in at least two different regiments. His presence at Omdurman would have meant entitlement to the Queen's Sudan medal and possibly the Khedive's Medal, however, his service for those would not have been with the Irish Guards which were not formed untill 1900. Their presence in the Boer war was limited to a detachment of 33 men as part of the Ist Guards Mounted Infantry. The so-called "Mons" Star, was in fact the 1914 Star and from your description, the other appears to have been the 1914/15 Star. Both medals were exactly the same expcept for the dates on the medal, however, he could not have been awarded both.

Terry Reeves

Lofty47
16-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Robina,
This is a bit late, The Grenadier guards were at Omdurman and therefore entitled to wear the Queens Sudan medal 1896-97 and the Khedives Sudan medal with the bar Omdurman. The Grenadiers went to South Africa and were awarded the Queens south Africa medal 1899 - 1902 and the Kings South Africa medal 1899 -1902. There were several bars issued.
When the Irish Guards were formed, a large number of men from the Grenadiers, Scots and Coldstream guards went to form the basis of the new Irish Guards regiment. Therefore there is a chance your Grandfather was a Grenadier who later transfered to the Irish Guards.