PDA

View Full Version : John Alfred Woods....norwich

arquebus
09-03-2005, 11:58 PM
I am hoping Geoffers picks up on this....So far I haven't seen anyone with any better knowledge of Norfolk!!

Unfortunately, having been through the Norfolk Transcription wotsits and several census searches, do you think I can find this man? (not Geoffers!)

He married in 1903 to a Mollett....I'm guessing he would have been born about 1880-1883. Supposedly born in Norwich, possibly 20 Prospect Road / Prospect Place.

Occupation Galvanizer at Wire Works.

If I could find him, I might be able to continue the trace.

If anyone should come across him, all info greatly welcome.

Thanks Glynis.

Pam Downes
10-03-2005, 2:46 AM
Hi Glynis,

I'm not Geoffers (wish I had 2% of his knowledge) but will put in my twopenn'orth.
Firstly I presume that the information you've quoted re the address and occcupation is what is quoted on the marriage certificate. If so, all that proves is John's address and occupation at the time of his marriage. Does it give an age for John, or just 'of full age'? And how about a father's name and occupation? With a given age for John and a father's name you have a slightly better chance of finding John on the 1881/1891 and possibly 1901 census.
However, if John's age is given as 'of full age' don't assume that he's about the same age as Annie. My granddad was 35 and my granny 19 when they married. (Have just realised that they also married in 1903 and as their actual ages were given on their marriage cert will keep my fingers crossed that the same applies to John and Annie's cert.)

Pam Downes

arquebus
10-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Pam....Actually, the information on John Alfred Woods is all we have and was obtained from the Birth Certificate of his son Frank William Woods born 1912.

I guess we are 'slightly lucky' inasmuch that Prospect Road seems to have been their residence for quite some time (although how long before 1912 we of course don't know).

We are fairly certain there will be other siblings to Frank, particularly as it took 7 years to get to his birth from the date of the marriage.

John's wife was Annie Maria Mollett, who has been located....well, at least we are pretty sure it is her (If I recall correctly it was Geoffers and yourself that spotted her previously, so thanks...just in case).

Thanks again, Glynis.

Geoffers
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
He married in 1903 to a Mollett....I'm guessing he would have been born about 1880-1883. Supposedly born in Norwich, possibly 20 Prospect Road / Prospect Place............
Actually, the information on John Alfred Woods is all we have and was obtained from the Birth Certificate of his son Frank William Woods born 1912....We are fairly certain there will be other siblings to Frank, particularly as it took 7 years to get to his birth from the date of the marriage.
John's wife was Annie Maria Mollett, who has been located....
Hello Glynis.
It's not quite clear from your messages as to whether you have the marriage certificate for John Alfred Woods, or not. I think this certificate is the crux to being able to trace any more of the family, forwards or backwards - if you don't have the certificate, I would recommend that you obtain it. The GRO index of marriages records:

March 1903, WOODS, John Alfred, Norwich, vol 4b, page 242
March 1903, MOLLETT, Anna Maria, Norwich, vol 4b, page 242.

The 1901 census shows just one hit using a search of Ann* MOL*T*:-
Annie MOLLETT aged 17, bn Norwich, working as a storekeeper. If this is the same the same person who married in 1903, the closest possible matches in the 1901 census in Norwich, might be:
John WOODS, aged 18, a soldier
John WOODS, 24, a Steam Engine Maker Fitter.

I could imagine childhood sweethearts wanting to marry before John was shipped off to fit in South Africa. The age on their marriage certificate should help to prove/disprove this possibility and help to locate them on earlier census returns.

Geoffers

Geoffers
10-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Further to my last post, directories may help to trace the family - either those online at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/
or purchased from ACDB, or available in Norwich/the FRC in London may help to trace the family in Norwich.

Do you know when John Alfred Woods died? His age on the death certificate (or via the GRO index) may help to identify him on the 1901 census. When he died, did he leave a will? You might expect other surviving children/grandchildren to be named.

Geoffers

arquebus
10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Geoffers...Yes, I have seen the 1901 census and suspect it is him as a soldier, and I suppose if he had joined up at 17, got married at 20 and had Frank in 1912 having changed his job, he would have had at least 10-12 years in the Army.

We are fairly certain that John was a soldier, and there has been talk that he went to India, although we can't confirm that.

I did note the entries on the Norfolk Transcription lists that there is a Woods family at Brittania Barracks, but of course, John isn't there!

You mention the GRO Index...everytime I try to access it, I don't seem to find anything useful....is there a 'special' URL?

Thanks again, Glynis.

Geoffers
10-03-2005, 11:40 PM
You mention the GRO Index...everytime I try to access it, I don't seem to find anything useful....is there a 'special' URL?
The General Register Office (GRO) index can be seen at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London - at many Local Studies Libraries/County Record Offices around the UK (you view it on fiches there) and also online. There is the freebmd project to place it on but although very useful, it is not yet complete. You can also view the index (plus some of the minor indices) on 1837 online though this last is a pay per view site - some people find it expensive, others less so. For me it is worthwhile because it saves on time/cost of travelling - and because I look for specific entries and I've narrowed down the search by using other available information. Preparation beforehand, allows you to make best use of your time in record centres and on websites. Working through the records methodically makes sure that you don't miss owt.

If there is something else you'd like to find but cannot, post a message with as much relevant detail as possible and I'll see if I can suggest a strategy.
Geoffers

Geoffers
10-03-2005, 11:45 PM
P.S. Have you checked the Norfolk Surnames List to see if anyone else is researching the same families? http://freespace.virgin.net/isabel.easter/Norfolk/Surnames.htm

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

arquebus
14-03-2005, 8:32 PM
Geoffers, Thanks for the advice....we have now got a reference no. and confirmed a Norwich marriage in 1903....at least we can order a certificate now.

Regards Glynis.