PDA

View Full Version : Looking for John (also Jack) Lynch

EricS
18-06-2009, 3:32 PM
A relative of my mother died in Cardiff or so I am told. Born in 1930 in Co. Tipperary, Ireland, the story goes that he was killed in an accident (hit by the bucket of a JCB or similar?) at the docks in Cardiff on or about the 28th of March 1957 at the age of 27.

I have no way to verify this story and would appreciate any tips as to how I can make any progress. I have a membership on A*****y but no sign of any deaths recorded for either a John or a Jack Lynch in 1957. Freebmd no help either |computer|

Much appreciated,

Eric Sheppard

Sue Mackay
18-06-2009, 8:51 PM
Try writing a letter to The Western Mail, Havelock Street, Cardiff CF10 1XR. They may well have reported something like that.

EricS
18-06-2009, 10:43 PM
thanks Sue, I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on
Eric

EricS
13-08-2009, 7:43 PM
Hi Sue,

I had no luck with the Western Mail (their records don't go back that far) but I did receive a reply from a very helpful chap there who gave me the email address of the Cardiff Central Library (which I shall try). He also offered to publish my enquiry in the Readers Column of his newspaper. However, even though he offered this free of charge I am not sure if it would bring any response - I'll try the Library first!

Eric

Sue Mackay
13-08-2009, 9:13 PM
I should try both if I were you!

Mona
13-08-2009, 9:24 PM
How about this death? From the images on freeBMD
June 1957
Lynch, John, age 27, Pontypridd, 8b, 461

If his death was at the end of March, it may have been registered in April, hence the next quarter.

EricS
13-08-2009, 9:51 PM
Mona - you are a star! I previously searched FreeBMD but didn't find any reference whatsoever. What did I do wrong?

Many thanks again
|jumphappy
Eric

terrysfamily
13-08-2009, 10:06 PM
How about this death? From the images on freeBMD
June 1957
Lynch, John, age 27, Pontypridd, 8b, 461

If his death was at the end of March, it may have been registered in April, hence the next quarter.

I’m curious as to how you got that too?

The only records I can get up, only go up to 1937.

Am I missing something here?

Mona
13-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I think we need a sticky on this one, I have mentioned it a few times!
From FreeBMD home page, click on view images.
Look for ....deaths (in this case)...submit query... year.. 1957....etc...etc
As Lynch is at the end of the Ls, it was quick to get the right page.
If you want to verify the reference for yourself it is 1957D2-L-0053.gif (you can choose image type so could be tif, pdf, jpg.
These are the images not transcribed yet, so you cannot search for a specific entry.

MarkJ
13-08-2009, 10:25 PM
There was a thread a week or so ago (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48901) where Mona explained that the actual images can be seen on FreeBMD, even if they are not yet transcribed.

Mark

terrysfamily
13-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Doesn't work for me. oh well...

EricS
26-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks to Mona finding my uncle's death registration I received the certificate today. The family story about his death was slightly off - the date was right as was the head injury bit. But while we believed he died in an accident at Cardiff docks it turns out that he was hit by a runaway train underground at the Penrikyber colliery in Wales. There was an inquest noted on the certificate. Don't know if I'll follow it up yet - is it easy to do?

Anyway, thanks again Mona

Mona
27-08-2009, 7:40 PM
Glad it was the right person. Funny how these family events get distorted over the years, like chinese whispers. There is always a kernel of truth somewhere in there!
Not sure how to follow up on inquests, perhaps contact the local records office.