PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery information

cazm17
08-03-2005, 4:13 PM
This is probably a strange questions, but is there anyone (or a group of people) who are willing or able to look up records from cemeteries or crematoria?

For example I have a local crematorium nearby where I would be happy to go and look up information for people who lived a long way away. The cemetery containing my ggps seems to have subcontracted the service out - the information isn't available at the cemetery any more (unless you can find where the actual graves are), you can't do personal lookups and it costs £10 a shot for them to look up info.

Any suggestions?

Guy Etchells
08-03-2005, 4:38 PM
There are links to many such people on my Tombstones & Memorial Inscription site at
www.
framland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Which reminds me I haven't updated the sites links for a while.
Cheers
Guy

Mandie
08-03-2005, 4:41 PM
I don't know if you've seen this site: www.
interment.net/Default.htm but it has transcriptions from some cemeteries which may help you.

I actually think its a good idea for people to document cemeteries, as a lot of them are having the gravestones cleared.

cazm17
08-03-2005, 4:57 PM
Some interesting reading, thanks, which I will follow up when I get home later. There doesn't seem to be anyone covering the cemeteries I'm interested in, so I'll just have to get up off my backside and get down there myself I think! If I decide to take photographs of peoples' graves, should I seek permission before doing so?

Wirral
09-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Have you tried your local reference library or local Family history society? I have just got a pile of info about the burials & memorial inscriptions for a local church from my local library. Apparently a group got together & did all the hard work for me nearly 20 years ago. I didn't even need to get my shoes wet trudging through soggy grass, just sat down & read through this nicely indexed report!

Dogtanian
09-03-2005, 10:29 AM
It certainly is worth cheching at your local library. Our main church yard had all the memorial inscriptions written down my someone in about 1890/1900. It's been a great help as probably about 10-20% of the stones have since vanished or fallen over and cannot be read.

Though sadly our local cemetary which was used since 1889 isn't covered (yet). Though a near by village has had it's MIs put online. They are of particular intrest to me as I despite being local, it's hard to get up to the church. I haven't been up yet to check, but now I know exactly where to look for the most important ones too.

sandiep
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
to Guy

have just spent 3 hours!!! on yoursite so much what a great site definately going in my favourites sandie

cazm17
21-03-2005, 5:27 PM
At the time, my cemeteries of interest were:
Woodgrange Park Cemetery, East London
St Patrick's, East London
Eastbrook Cemetery, Dagenham; and
East London Cemetery.

I have grave numbers for all of my relatives there, it was just a question of confirming the details on the gravestones, if there are others buried there etc.

I found a family history centre in Valence House in Barking, and rang for help about in Eastbrook Cemetery. A couple of phone calls later, and an extremely helpful lady at the relevant Cemeteries Office, led to me finding where my great gran was buried and I even managed to visit the cemetery and find the grave on the way home!

Not such good news for the others, unfortunately. I have requested information from East London Cemetery, but there's no guarantee on how long that will take. St Patrick's I will have to visit myself. Woodgrange Park records are apparently held by a private limited company who charge £10 for each search, so again that will probably be a personal visit at some point.

Thanks for those who have helped!