PDA

View Full Version : divorce mentioned in Will

netti
15-06-2009, 5:36 PM
I am in the process of digesting an 11 page will(!)

The will is of William Miller of Ozleworth Park, Gloucs and in it he mentions his divorced wife Frances. Does this imply they actually were legally divorced? If so, are there documents I could see? They were wealthy people so I am guessing they could afford to get divorced!

A lot of his estate appears to be held in trust - very complicated for me to understand - but he leaves his household furniture etc to "my (Relicout?) Amelia Redman who for many years has (resided?) with me"

I have not found a marriage between William and Amelia yet - but former wife Frances remarried soon after his death. Legacies were left to the children of Amelia but only two were named - not the one I was hoping for though. From reading other posts it seems the death duty registers might help me here? Are they only available in person or can I purchase copies?

The will was written 7th April 1846 and proved 17th July 1847 (William died 6th Dec 1846)

thanks for reading

Netti

Peter Goodey
15-06-2009, 5:58 PM
This National Archives guide should help -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=260

Red Kite
15-06-2009, 6:30 PM
"my (Relicout?) Amelia Redman who for many years has (resided?) with me"

I think that would be "relict", another term for widow.

netti
15-06-2009, 7:28 PM
thanks for the replies. I have never visited TNA so must get there soon...

I guessed that Relict was the likely meaning but there are definitely more letters in the word!

If I can work out how to add an image, I will add the word.

netti

netti
15-06-2009, 7:47 PM
ok I think I have worked it out

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu80/bernette_photos/millerwillpiece.jpg

Do you agree that her name is Amelia Redman? I didn't know her surname before I read this will.

netti

Kerrywood
15-06-2009, 8:04 PM
I read it as Melicent Amelia Redman.

Kerrywood

terrysfamily
15-06-2009, 8:07 PM
Latin translation

relicout from the latin relictus : (fr. relinquo) having inherited, been bequeathed

That's if it's latin of course.

Colin Moretti
16-06-2009, 7:43 AM
I agree, definitely Melicent.

Colin

amg2512
16-06-2009, 8:03 AM
I read Melicent Amelia REBMAN

Alison

Geoffers
16-06-2009, 8:08 AM
A search of Access to Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=182-pha_4&cid=10-8&kw=william miller ozleworth#10-8)shows that William and his wife had separated by 1822. The London Gazette shows William Miller to have been Sheriff of Gloucestershire; as such I would think that there might be some record of his life at Gloucestershire RO which would indicate if he was divorced or separated.

netti
16-06-2009, 6:00 PM
I was also thinking Robman/Rebman at first but comparisons with other words in the document (see children on the line in between) shows that a modern "d" was written more like a "b".

I also struggled with modern "c" which looks more like an "r".

I don't think that Melicent is correct as the initial letter is not like other "M" s in the will.

I have managed to translate the will literally but I still don't understand the language! However, I don't think it is imperative I can make sense of it all - just the bits relevant to my search - helping to prove that William Miller was the father of the person I am researching.

Thanks for the tip about Gloucester, I had seen something was available at TNA but Gloucester is much more accessible to me.

Thanks again

Netti

Geoffers
16-06-2009, 6:07 PM
I was also thinking Robman/Rebman at first but comparisons with other words in the document (see children on the line in between) shows that a modern "d" was written more like a "b".

That's corect

I don't think that Melicent is correct as the initial letter is not like other "M" s in the will.

Definitely a capital M and the word reads Melicent, as indicated by others. However, do bear in mind it is a court copy and as such the clerk transcribing the original may have made an error.

netti
17-06-2009, 7:19 PM
I can see it now - I found another capital H!

thanks for everyone's help.

Netti

netti
21-06-2009, 7:43 PM
Just to say that revealing that Amelia had another first name has led me to finding her in the 1851 census - (as Millie Miller!)

Also had a great find with the London gazette - a notice asking for any descendants of Millicent Amelia Redman to make themselves known to a certain London solicitor. It mentions several other family members of which I was unaware.

I wouldn't have found this without your help, so thank you

netti