PDA

View Full Version : Paypal

susan-y
15-06-2009, 12:52 PM
This morning I received a message regarding PayPal. It was in my Spam, but was very REAL. It claimed that my PayPal account had been accessed by a third party......... I don't have an account with them, but I see Ancestry does use them and my Ancestry was recently renewed. I am 99% sure this is SPAM but it does give me a few moments of doubt. I DELETED the message. If it makes me doubt, I can't help but wonder how many people they will "sucker" in. Very similar in format to those emails you get from "your" bank wanting information.

Sue

Aislin
15-06-2009, 1:09 PM
I got the same message awhile ago. I forwarded the email in its entirely to Paypal's spoof mail reporting site. They'll track it down.

michaelpipe
15-06-2009, 1:21 PM
I get them regularly, never use Paypal, so I just trash them.

busyglen
15-06-2009, 1:46 PM
Likewise, I had the same thing but just deleted it without even opening it. I used to have a Paypal account but haven't for a couple of years now.

Glenys

Carmy
15-06-2009, 3:32 PM
I've had a PayPal account for years and it's had a $2 credit sitting in there all that time.

I get regular mail from paypal scam and forward it to spoof @ paypal dot com. It's the only way to stop these idiots.

Maybe it's the same people who send me mail from a bank in America or tell me I've won the UK lottery.

If you're ever doubtful that it may be a genuine mail, don't reply via mail but go to their website and contact them.

v.wells
15-06-2009, 4:24 PM
I got the same message awhile ago. I forwarded the email in its entirely to Paypal's spoof mail reporting site. They'll track it down.

That happened to me a couple of years ago and I did exactly what Aislin did!

Tederator
16-06-2009, 1:22 AM
I got one of these things this morning, I sent it straight to Paypal's spoof reporting department then deleted it completely out of my computer.

Ted.

JohnF
16-06-2009, 6:26 AM
Yes it is the same if someone knocks on the door saying they are (and looking like) a policeman. SHUT THE DOOR and ring up the police station and ASK.
My neighbour had 2 such characters at her door "We are from the police and are sorry to tell you you have been robbed"
Ridiculous she said.
"Oh no they got upstairs and stuff is missing - we will show you"
So she let them in and they robbed her
John

Carmy
24-06-2009, 2:40 PM
The idiots are out there. Until they find an idiot victim, the rest of us should be okay. But don't count on it.

Last week, my next-door neighbour was on her way home from work. She noticed a man staring at her when she got off the train, then he jumped on the same bus. He got off at the same stop and followed her up the street. When she got to her driveway, he asked if he could come in and use the washroom. Huh? Needless to say, she refused. But what if she hadn't?

In the last two years, in this city, we've had muggings and murders when men have followed people off trains and buses. Do the idiots think we don't watch the news?

Be careful on and off line. Stay safe.

Ladkyis
24-06-2009, 3:13 PM
A genuine email from paypal ALWAYS has your name (as you registered it) at the top. If it says dear paypal customer ar anything other than your name then it is a fake. I always delete them anyway and go to my paypal account through my favourites.

I rarely click on a link in an email ever since I did it when a friend sent me something and it was a virus thingy - that friend also learnt a lesson that day when she received a phone call from me explaining what she had done.

When in doubt cut it out. delete is your friend

busyglen
24-06-2009, 3:28 PM
When in doubt cut it out. delete is your friend
That's a very good phrase, and one I subscribe to. :)

Glenys