PDA

View Full Version : Cox William 1841 census help

ewan
13-06-2009, 8:43 PM
I have been looking for a William H Cox born about 1839-1842 in Berkshire and who may have been living in Berkshire, can anyone help find him please?
Thank you:)
Ewan

Nicolina
13-06-2009, 9:09 PM
FreeBMD has:
Births Mar 1842
Cox William Henry Witney 16 119

pennydog
13-06-2009, 9:58 PM
There are 6 entries for William Cox on FMP only one is for William H:-
ref no. H0107 piece 23 folio 5/4 page 2
Elizabeth Cox 35 wife of clergyman (this is crossed out)
Charles Peel Cox 3
Maria E Cox 2
William H 1

Hope these are yours - if not do you have any other names/dates to help find him?

pennydog
13-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Forgot to add address:- Grotto, Basildon, Berks. Reg District Bradfield, sub district Bucklebury

Joanna Bastyan
13-06-2009, 10:00 PM
There are 3 young William Cox on the 1841 census:

Charles born 1819 Berkshire
Sarah born 1816 Berkshire
Elizabeth born 1839 Berkshire
William aged 1 month 1841 Berkshire
living at Cumnor

Richard born 1811
Mary born 1816 Berkshire
Mary born 1836 Berkshire
Hannah born 1836 Berkshire
Jane born 1837 Berkshire
William born 1840 Berkshire
living at Broad Street Pride Court, St Lawrence, Reading

Elizabeth born 1806
Charles Peel born 1838
Maria E born 1839
William H born 1840
living at Grotto, Basildon ( I wonder if this is some kind of workhouse there are a number of people there and no Mr Cox listed. Is Elizabeth a widow)

ewan
14-06-2009, 6:35 AM
Elizabeth born 1806
Charles Peel born 1838
Maria E born 1839
William H born 1840
living at Grotto, Basildon

Thank you all for your replies with help. The family that pennydog and Joanna found looks like the ones I am looking for. Can anyone find them on the 1851 census please?
Ewan

pennydog
14-06-2009, 8:27 AM
Good morning Ewan - I have had a look for your William in 1851, but there are so many that without further info i.e have you checked to see if his mother or siblings have died, which would put him with grandparents, aunts etc. I thought the comment on the 1841 census that was crossed out (wife of clergyman) most interesting, what would make Elizabeth put that!! If you can give any further info I may be able to help more

ewan
14-06-2009, 2:14 PM
Good morning Ewan - I have had a look for your William in 1851, but there are so many that without further info i.e have you checked to see if his mother or siblings have died, which would put him with grandparents, aunts etc. I thought the comment on the 1841 census that was crossed out (wife of clergyman) most interesting, what would make Elizabeth put that!! If you can give any further info I may be able to help more

Hello pennydog

No, I haven't looked into whether his mother and siblings died, that could be a possibility. I did wonder why 'wife of clergyman' had been crossed out, maybe the enumerator put it there by mistake, I guess we will never find out.
Unless this William moved to Warwickshire and grew up there, I am thinking that perhaps he may not be my ancestor after all.

Thank you for your interest and help though.
Ewan

NewburyChap
15-06-2009, 8:15 PM
living at Grotto, Basildon ( I wonder if this is some kind of workhouse there are a number of people there and no Mr Cox listed. Is Elizabeth a widow)

Nothing like a workhouse: www.berkshirehistory.com/castles/basildon_grotto.html

Victoria Sellwood Turner
24-07-2009, 8:50 AM
QUOTE living at Grotto, Basildon ( I wonder if this is some kind of workhouse there are a number of people there and no Mr Cox listed. Is Elizabeth a widow)[/QUOTE]

Hello,
Just a bit of background to the Grotto.
The Grotto was a well known house in Basildon visited by nobility and the famous. The first mention of it is in a poem by the Curate of Aldworth in 1746. It was let for several years to tenants at the end of the 18th century. There was a famous Court scam case in 1784 involving one tenant, Mr Lamotte, husband of the Countess Lamotte-Valois, with the innocent party being Queen Maria Antoinnette.
The Basildon estate was sold by the Sykes, descendants of the Fanes, in 1838 but the Grotto was excluded and passed to Rev William Sykes of Cullupton in Devon. He was known as William of the Grotto although he did not live there much during his lifetime. He died in 1875, buried St Bartholomews. Some of his descendants are Australian. In 1953 the house was bought by the Institute of Leisure and Amenity Management.

Your Cox's possibly worked on the Estate, or more likely were visitors or residents. There are two Cox families in Basildon in 1851 but neither fit your description or the 1841. A George and Ester Keeley, a gardener, and family are recorded at Grotto House, so probably acting as caretakers.

All the residents of The Grotto in 1841, which is enumerated next door to the Vicarage where resides Robert B Fisher a Clerk (no other Fisher) are
Giles H Peel 62 Clerk (used in 1841 to mean Cleric) no
Maria Peel 58 no
Sophia Peel 25 yes
Emma Peel 21 no
George H Peel 19 no
Separate family
Elizabeth Cox 35 wife of clergyman crossed out no
Charles Peel Cox 3 no
Maria E Cox 2 no
William H Cox 1 no
Separate again
William Smith 27 MS (maleservant) yes
Richard D?ennett 67 no
Esther Ashworth 34 FS (female servant) no
Lydia Marpratt 20 no
Maria Cook 28 yes
Mary Wheeler 19 yes
Elizabeth Goldswain 42 no
Lucy Green 17 no

I think you need to read between the lines regarding Elizabeth Cox's status.

Yours
Victoria