PDA

View Full Version : Finding father with a surname and address

find4jf
12-06-2009, 7:20 PM
My grandfather apparently never spoke about his mother and father. I don't know who he grew up with, but I'm pretty sure he never knew the identity of his father. I've got so far...found grandfathers birth certificate (1925) which lists a home address and his mothers christian and surname, but father column is blank. There are clues though. The section for mothers maiden name at time of birth again shows the mothers full name but also says she is a domestic servant at a certain address, different to the home address - more information than the document probably required at the time? Additionally grandfather has been given a middle name which is a conventional (and very common) surname.

How would I find the potential father living at this address? Is there any way of finding residents at an address without a census? The address (Surrey/Kent borders) at the time would have been working class accommodation, not one where the lady would have been working as a domestic servant, so she is potentially either lodging or cohabiting with grandfathers father. My grandfather remained living in the same road for many years, even after he himself married.

Any advice or information about next steps would be much appreciated.

pennydog
12-06-2009, 7:33 PM
The main library for the area may have copies of a gazetteer (a list of all occupants of the houses/businesses etc) for that date or one very close to it, might be worth investigating.

pennydog
12-06-2009, 7:34 PM
Finbar beat me to it!

v.wells
12-06-2009, 9:53 PM
He may also be listed in the BT Directories if he had a phone or he lived in a home with a phone. The directory can be searched by address if the yr is included. The only BT directory available to look at is on ances*.

Mutley
12-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Kent/Surrey? Would that be Deptford, New Cross, Lewisham way?

I think there is a Post Office Directory for 1921 and 1925. That would tell you who was the head of the household at a given address.