PDA

View Full Version : French Army Service Records

LindaJ
12-06-2009, 6:07 PM
I have one single sheet of paper with various details. Is this all there is? How do I obtain more information?

Browneyes
12-06-2009, 6:16 PM
I think it depends what other information you would like to find. Are you hoping to find something in particular?

LindaJ
12-06-2009, 7:33 PM
Yes, I hope so.

My father joined up (French Army) early 1940's and served in north Africa. In 1943 it was liberated by the allies and he transferred for a short while to the Free French - until approx Oct 1943. In December 1944 he enlisted with the British Territorials - demobbed in 1953. After that I had assumed it was civvy street (and jobs in West Africa), until I wrote to the Ministry of Defence in France asking for any information they may have. The single sheet of paper shows service in the early 40's through to '43. Then amazingly, another period of service with them from 1952. In 1959 he was "passed to the bureau of recruitment in Dakar" and registered as a Nigerian resident. I'm a bit more than curious.
There's more information on my website
http://www.activeservice.co.uk/familytree/joneslinda/2DAD&MUM/dadwar.htm

Note Nov 1943 - September 1944 he was with MI6 (trips to France). A few documents giving various bits of evidence on the website - including the French Service record.

Any ideas?

Browneyes
12-06-2009, 8:15 PM
I've sent you a pm Linda :)

LindaJ
12-06-2009, 8:41 PM
I've sent you a pm Linda :)

Thanks - replied to.

Stephen Dorril
27-03-2021, 10:49 AM
I have one single sheet of paper with various details. Is this all there is? How do I obtain more information?

Hi,

I am an historian of MI6 and am interested in your father. I wondered if you are still researching him and could I get in contact with you.

Regards,

Stephen Dorril