PDA

View Full Version : Adey/Paul of Northampton US

johnadey
11-06-2009, 9:14 AM
I am researching the Adey family from Painswick, Gloucestershire, England.

The Bristol Mercury 14th May 1853 has the following notice-

Died - At Northampton (US) Anne Relict of Rev N Paul of Albany and 2nd daughter of late Mr John Adey of Rock Mills Painswick - aged 62

Is anyone with local knowledge or access to US records able to tell me more about Rev N Paul and Anne Paul during their time in the States?

Regards & thanks
John

AdeleE
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I can place her on the 1850 US census at Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts:

Cheney Sook, 63, farmer, b. Mass
Rebecca Sook, 51, b. ditto
Melvin Sook, 26, b. ditto
Ann Paul, 55, b. England

Relationships and marital status were not shown on the 1850 census. This is also the first US census where persons were listed individually.

I'll see what else I can find.

Adele

JustJean
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I would guess this speech on slavery might be given by the same Rev. N. Paul from Albany that you refer to:

http://www.blackpast.org/?q=1827-rev-nathaniel-paul-hails-end-slavery-new-york

What do you think?

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow....I hope I'm not creating something here but there is quite a bit on Rev. Paul. A hit on Google Books reveals some facts about him...

Born abt 1775...died 1839.
Pastor at the Hamilton Street Baptist Church in Albany NY.
Born in New Hampshire
Pastor in Albany since 1820
Left Albany abt 1831 for the slave colony at Wilberforce in Canada West.
They sent him to England to gather funds
After 4 years he returned to Albany where he died.

There is also this marriage from the IGI....

1. NATHANIEL PAUL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 23 JUN 1833 Saint Nicholas Olave, London, London, England
Marriages:
Spouse: ANNE ADEY Family
Marriage: 23 JUN 1833 Saint Nicholas Olave, London, London, England

Any chance they met while he was in England and this is their marriage?????

If not it makes a great story doesn't it????!!!! :)

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean
11-06-2009, 12:47 PM
The 1840 US Census shows an Ann Paul enumerated as head of household and is the only member of the household...inAlbany...

Name: Anne Paul
Township: Albany Ward 1
County: Albany
State: New York

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean
11-06-2009, 1:27 PM
I'm feeling more strongly than ever that this is indeed your Anne married to Nathaniel Paul. There are further Google Book readings that indicate Mrs. Paul married the Rev. while he was in England. One article does not mention her name other than "Mrs." but infers the difficulties she faced as a "stranger in a strange land" once she was widowed. In the letters of William Lloyd Garrison he apparently attempted to look after her well-being by finding folks willing to board her. A footnote states that her name was not known other than she was English and feeling the strong prejudice meted out to those who crossed the racial marriage line. This is excellent reading...how I wish I had such an ancestor of my own to report on!!!

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean
11-06-2009, 1:34 PM
Hope this link works: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+life+and+times+of+Samuel+H.+Davis:+an+anti+sla very+activist.-a0192404032

this is a whole piece on the life and times of another anti slavery activist named Samuel Davis. If you can access the website read down through his life history and note that his grandmother was a sister to the mother of Nathaniel Paul and also others strong in anti-slavery movement.

Best wishes
Jean

johnadey
12-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Thank you everyone, this is great reading.

Anne was a cousin of Rev Edward Adey who worked with Wilberforce & Clarkson in the antislavery movement in England. There is a Wikipedia page about Rev Edward Adey and of course my own family history site.

Thanks again
John

johnadey
25-07-2009, 6:23 AM
Has anybody stumbled across any children for this couple?

Thanks
John