PDA

View Full Version : Crimean War Medal - Help, please

snovak52
08-06-2009, 9:22 PM
This is my first post. A family member has the 1854 Crimean War medal with bars for 4 battles. It is inscribed to " (unable to read initial - possibly C or G) and surname FLETCHER. He was apparently in the Coldstream Guards. Is there a medal recipient list where one can look up individuals and perhaps get more details so that it can be determined which family member received the award?

Thank you.

Steve

Procat
09-06-2009, 7:49 AM
Hi Steve,

I have given your post a thread of its own. Hopefully it will receive more attention that way rather than being tagged onto the bottom of an existing thread.

Welcome to Brit Gen. :)

Lawrence W. Crider
24-09-2009, 10:20 PM
In a quick look I found a William and a George Fletcher on the Medal Rolls of the Coldstream Guards. The Medal Rolls are available on a CD ROM from Yesteryears Genealogy, but most of the applicable pages are partially obliterated. Don't know if the original copies at the National Archives are more legible, but I suspect so.

snovak52
24-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks. I actually found the CD and yes, many pages were unreadable, - but I found what I was looking for and solved a family mystery about the medals.

Steve