PDA

View Full Version : Tickle Randall marriage

t@nya
07-06-2009, 8:40 AM
I would like to obtain a copy of this marriage or, at the very least the details, especially any witnesses.

William Tickle married Martha Randell, 16 March 1811, Westminster Street, Hanover Square, London.

I did a brief search of the Internet and discovered that it is possible to view these online if you pay a subscription: the site I found wanted a 16 pound subscription (about $48 Australian dollars) for thirty days and I just can't afford to pay that for just one record. I'd appreciate any help.

sueannbowen
07-06-2009, 9:26 AM
Hi Tanya
The site you are referring to doesn't have parish transcripts for St George Hanover Square for that year so a subscription would tell you nothing. I have searched them all anyway, including the non-conformist records and come up with nothing.

Did you get this information from FamilySearch.org? If so it was submitted by a member of the LDS church and gives no source data. That means it is suspect. I think the only place you would find this information is at the City of Westminster Archive. Not very helpful to you in Australia. But the staff there are very helpful. Whether it would be worth you asking them to search for you I don't know. You might also try Boyds Marriage Index that might be cheaper than a full subscription if you you could pay per view. I am sure someone on here will tell you how and where you could do that! (Peter Goodey this is usually where you come in!!)

Sorry not to have been of more help. Sue
:D

I lie - I spelt the name wrong sorry! All you can see on the transcript is the names of the bride and groom! I am obviously going senile.

t@nya
07-06-2009, 9:36 AM
Hi Tanya
The site you are referring to doesn't have parish transcripts for St George Hanover Square for that year so a subscription would tell you nothing. I have searched them all anyway, including the non-conformist records and come up with nothing.

Did you get this information from FamilySearch.org? If so it was submitted by a member of the LDS church and gives no source data. That means it is suspect. I think the only place you would find this information is at the City of Westminster Archive. Not very helpful to you in Australia. But the staff there are very helpful. Whether it would be worth you asking them to search for you I don't know. You might also try Boyds Marriage Index that might be cheaper than a full subscription if you you could pay per view. I am sure someone on here will tell you how and where you could do that! (Peter Goodey this is usually where you come in!!)

Sorry not to have been of more help. Sue
:D

Yes I did (get the information from familysearch.org I mean). I never noticed that it had been submitted by an LDS member. I guess that means I don't have any real proof the marriage took place at all. :(

At least I know that a William Tickle and a Martha most likely married, because I do have records of the births of their children (also on familysearch.org, but with the source data), and also information from their descendants. Unfortunately, there is no other marriage for a William Tickle and a Martha listed on the site at all.

Well, thanks very much, Sue for your help. I'll try emailing the archive and see if they can help.

sueannbowen
07-06-2009, 9:38 AM
see my PM.

Kerrywood
07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
At least I know that a William Tickle and a Martha most likely married

The Harleian Society transcripts for St George Hanover Square list the marriage of William TICKLE and Martha RANDALL as 16 March 1811.

No other information is stated, which implies that both spouses were of the parish and the marriage was by banns. The marriage register for St George Hanover Square rarely gives marital status at this date.

Now that you have the exact date, Westminster City Archives (http://www.westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/family-history/) will send you the full details of the entry, with witnesses' names, for a payment of £4.00.

Kerrywood

t@nya
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
The Harleian Society transcripts for St George Hanover Square list the marriage of William TICKLE and Martha RANDALL as 16 March 1811.

No other information is stated, which implies that both spouses were of the parish and the marriage was by banns. The marriage register for St George Hanover Square rarely gives marital status at this date.

Now that you have the exact date, Westminster City Archives (http://www.westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/family-history/) will send you the full details of the entry, with witnesses' names, for a payment of £4.00.

Kerrywood

Thank you :)

I'll send off for a copy when I can afford it. My building society charges a lot for making out cheques in pounds. :(

sueannbowen
07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Wait until I can look it up for you at the next visit.

:cool:

Sue

Waitabit
08-06-2009, 4:36 AM
Thank you :)

I'll send off for a copy when I can afford it. My building society charges a lot for making out cheques in pounds. :(

Tanya, can you get a visa card or similar from your finance institute -bldg Soc, for a budget account to use just for such things.? Then you only need to keep enough funds to cover what you want to buy. I have a Credit Union which does this well. very small annual fee.

t@nya
08-06-2009, 6:37 AM
Wait until I can look it up for you at the next visit.

:cool:

Sue

Will do, and thank you. :)

t@nya
08-06-2009, 6:38 AM
Tanya, can you get a visa card or similar from your finance institute -bldg Soc, for a budget account to use just for such things.? Then you only need to keep enough funds to cover what you want to buy. I have a Credit Union which does this well. very small annual fee.

I don't know. I'll have to ask them. Thanks for the information. :)

t@nya
17-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Someone on another site looked this up for me without me even asking them. :)

Witnesses were: John Bayley Sakery and M Stanley. The second of these is apparently a "professional" witness. I have no idea who Sakery is. A quick look in the 1841 and 1851 census and the IGI showed virtually no Sakery's and, certainly, no John Bayley Sakery.