PDA

View Full Version : Snippets from the North Devon Journal

AnnB
06-03-2005, 6:07 PM
This posting has appeared on the General Chatter forum, but I am repeating it here for anyone interested in early births, marriages and deaths from the North Devon Journal. In transcribing these notices from early copies of the paper, I keep coming across 'gems', so I thought some people might like a taster of what you can find in old newspapers.

22.10.1824 At Corsham, Wilts., George Smith, aged 15 to Honour Sumbler, aged 13 years and 9 months.

4.2.1825 On Wednesday last, at St Andrews Church, Plymouth, by the Rev. J. Hatchard, Major Holwell R.A., to Amelia, daughter of the late Capt. Elphinstone, R.N., of B….m? – No less than 30 private carriages accompanied the bridal party to Church, which was completely filled by all the beauty and fashion of the Town and neighbourhood, to witness the ceremony – the bride’s fortune is stated to be £30,000. The Gallant Major proceeds very shortly with his fair partner, to the Cape of Good Hope, where he has a command.

15.4.1825 On the 4th instant, at South Molton, the wife of Mr William Down, of a dead born child; and on the 9th of a living daughter.

22.4.1825 On Monday morning, the wife of William Honey, a labourer residing on the Cowley-Bridge Road, near Exeter, was safely delivered of three children, two girls and a boy; the girls, with the mother, are doing well, but the boy was still born. This poor woman has been fortunate enough to have had seven children in 3½. [presumably years!]

29.10.1824 On Sunday last, suddenly, at the Dissenting Chapel, Truro, Capt. Philip Goss, of the Brig Perseverance of Ilfracombe. He dined the same day with the Rev. Mr Moore, Dissenting Minister at that place, when the topic of their conversation was on sudden death. Just as the Minister was about to enter the pulpit, Capt. Goss was observed to lean back in his seat, Medical aid was immediately procured, but his happy spirit had flown to the Mansions above. He died without a sigh. He has for a number of years been a most pious and devoted christian.

Best wishes
Ann