PDA

View Full Version : Place name in NBL

Mandie
06-03-2005, 5:59 PM
I'm having real problems trying to work out what the place name on the image below says:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mandieh/nbl.jpg

It's from the Durham 1861 Census RG9/3707 Folio 48. I can see that the word ends 'kly', and I think the second letter is also another 'l', but I can't seem to get the letters into a viable word. It doesn't really help that the enumerator marked through the word, either. :)

Can anyone help?

Steve Steere
06-03-2005, 7:39 PM
Hi Mandie,

My first impession was Blenchly, I do not think it is a kly ending.
I have searched Genuki's complete index for place names in Northumberland (& Durham) without success. The first letter looks like a B, and as the enumerator has written the letter B differently in two other examples will stick with that. I did look up places spelt Pl as well. I can only assume it is a small place, as Google is no help either.

Hopefully a 'local' will know!

Regards,

Steve

Mandie
09-03-2005, 1:14 AM
Thanks for looking at this, Steve. You're right it could end in 'hly'. I think I shall try multi-mapping and googling for the ideas you and I had to see what that throws up.

It's just so frustrating when the other lines are readable, and the one with your ancestor on isn't!

Geoffers
09-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Possibly the enumerator misread the writing on the schedule and it is Brenkley?
See old maps website:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/10nor261/10nor261gazB.htm

Geoffers

Mandie
15-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Possibly the enumerator misread the writing on the schedule and it is Brenkley?

Brenkley would also work, as most of the letters would fit. I have a feeling I'm not going to get a definitive answer on this one. Thanks for your help, though. :)

Geoffers
15-03-2005, 3:24 PM
Brenkley would also work, as most of the letters would fit. I have a feeling I'm not going to get a definitive answer on this one.
Could you try another census and see whatb that says?

Geoffers