PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather

shaun
31-05-2009, 7:03 AM
My Grandfather, Neil Livingstone Finlayson worked on the railway in Darlington. In 1937 he was apparently, crushed between two carriages.This broke his back, and died of his injuries. Can anybody help with, information.As I live in Hull & find , hard to get the information.

sue2white
31-05-2009, 8:18 AM
This is almost the same senario as my grandfather, who worked on the railway.
Having found a previous death in a local newspaper it gave me confidence to google the local newspaper. I contacted it and they put me right.
I managed go get both newspaper reports send to me at no expense.
There are some great people out there who are willing to help.
SO...google the local newspaper for the area and see how you go from there.
Sue:)

Peter Goodey
31-05-2009, 8:20 AM
After taking the action recommended, you may like to read section 8 of this National Archives research guide -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=114

georgiep
31-05-2009, 9:14 AM
Hi Shaun
Did grandad serve in WW1 and do you have records?

Tks
Georgie

shaun
31-05-2009, 9:14 PM
Hi, my Grandfather may have served in WWI. I have a photo of my grandfather in, in uniform with his father. My great- grandfather. My grandfather was Neil Livingstone Finlayson, born 27 July 1897, died aged 39 in 1937.Neil's father was called, Robert Finlayson.

shaun
31-05-2009, 9:29 PM
Yes ido have my grandfather's, death certificate. He died 27th may1937. But we have, no inquest. Iwent to Gosforth last, weekend to visit my grandfather's niece. She tells me his accident was, hushed up. He Was high up in his, job and shouldn't have been in between two carriages. Neil Livingstone Finlayson was crushed, between two carriages braking his back. On the railway his was, a railway engine fireman.

shaun
31-05-2009, 9:33 PM
Hi sue, yes i will try, but need to know the name of the local newspaper.For the area.

georgiep
01-06-2009, 7:04 AM
Hi Shaun
Anc# have military record for Neil, he was in the Railway Operating Division of the Royal Engineers service number 209787.
If you would please send me a private message with your email addie, I will forward the info.
Also little Neil in 1901 if required.

Cheers
Georgie

georgiep
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
This could be your Neil.
477 Stanhope Road South Shields Durham
Robert Finlayson 28 coal ??immer on ship born Scotland
Christina 27 bn Scotland
Neil 3, Annie 11mnths both bn Tyne Dock Durham.

1911 census has a Neil Finlayson 13 Sth Shields.
Also a Neil Livinstone Finlayson aged 62 yrs in Sth Shields.
Christina 37 also Robert 38, Anne 10yrs.
It's pay per view.

Georgie

shaun
02-06-2009, 9:50 PM
Hi george, How do you get this information , going to pay per view. Has i would like, the cenus to keep for our family records.It's a bit difficult, not living in the area.We have just visited, the area last weekend for the first time.I 'm sure Anne's daughter, would be pleased with tis information. Thank you for your help, were new to ,this family history.

georgiep
03-06-2009, 1:49 AM
Thanks for lovely relply Shaun.
Good luck with 1911.
I paid the full 30 credits to view my family, the outlaws were living with them, a bonus for me.
Also stated how many years married.....8 years after first 3 kiddies born!! and I discovered they had 3 deceased children.
The other census info was from a paid site which most of us are members of.
You can view 1881 and lots of other info free at
www.familysearch.org
This is the mormons site.
You will see at the left International Genealogical Index, this is the IGI that people refer to.
Have a dabble and enjoy!
I'd like to find old Neil, he must be related.

Cheers
Georgie
ps I've sent Army info to your email addie

georgiep
03-06-2009, 6:46 AM
Hi Shaun
Have a look in IGI mentioned in prev. reply.
There's a Neil Finlayson bn 1848 Torryburn Fife
parents Robert Finlayson & Rachel Livingstone
another son Robert 1843.

I'm wondering if this Neil is your Neil's grandfather & father of your Robert.

1901 he is living in South Shields and dies in 1915 aged 67 yrs.
In 1901 his youngest is David 9 yrs born in Scotland as were all the other kiddies.
Robert of course is married & not listed with them.
I've found Neil in Scotland 1891 but no Robt at home.
By the way, Neil snr also has a son Neil Livingstone Finlayson bn 1878.
I'm off to pick the grandees up from school, back later, will suzz out Scotland 1891/81.

Georgie

georgiep
03-06-2009, 9:59 AM
Lo tis me again
IGI has a marriage of Robt F. to Rachel Livingstone 1/11/1839 Dunfermline.
Robert, Neil, Livingstone, all come down through the family.
The fact that Neil 1848 moved to Sth Shields where Robt was living & where Neil L was born, must make them related, don't you think?

Georgie

ps perhaps while I'm having my well needed beauty sleep, the scribes will find the answers..

georgiep
04-06-2009, 9:01 AM
Evening All
Just listing this info as could come in handy later.
1881 census Scotland
Robert Finlayson 62 bn 1819c bn Saline
Farm Grieve 168 acres emp 7 men
Bankhead House Farm Torryburn
dghtr Christina 22.

Going back to 1901 Neil is listed as married no spouse.
In 1891 in Scotland his wife is Marion.
I've found her in 1901 in Sth Sheilds, she's a nurse to a family with new baby.
(death Marion 1910)

Frustrated isn't the word.|computer|
1881 census Scotland, I need to find young Robert (father of Neil L) to prove Neil snr (who went to Sth Shields) is his father and grandpa of Neil L.
GOTCHA
Transcribed as LINLAYSON..
Woo Hoo....
Neil, Marion, Robt, John & baby Rachael
Neil is also a Farm Grieve bn Torryburn in Dunfermline.

Georgie :)

Shaun, would you believe my Aussie daughter married a Livingstone...my son in law's grandad came from Aberdeen in 1930 ish, confirmed 40 yr old batchelor & married a 21 yr old Aussie lass...

dawn/karen
15-09-2009, 2:30 PM
shaun did you know that there is a railway muesum in darlington? im sure a phone call will help you out.