PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Brown Family

JeanF
28-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Brown Family

Looking for Samuel Brown-b.Feb.20,1827 in Ireland. Immigrated to Canada in 1844,d. Dec. 28,1905 in Lennox and Addington,Ontario ,Canada.
M-Mary Ann Gibson b-Aug.11,1828 in Ireland.
C.
James G. Brown-b.1853 Amherst Island,Ontario,Canada
John Brown-b.1849 - Amherst Island,Ontario,Canada
Ellen Brown-b-1850-Amherst Island, Ontario,Canada
Margaret Brown-b-1856-A.I.O.C.
Annie Brown-b-1858- A.I.O.C.
Hannah Brown-b-1864- A.I.O.C.
Any information will help, thanks

AdeleE
29-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi Jean,

Here's Samuel & his wife in the 1901 census of Canada (free website):

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=8688&highlight=3

If you click split screen: medium image at the top of that page, you can see the image of the census sheet.

Now tell us, what information do you need? Samuel & Mary Ann's ancestors? details of their children's lives?

Ask away and we'll see what we can find.

Adele

AdeleE
29-05-2009, 12:56 AM
And here they are in the 1851 census of Canada, same website:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=67498&highlight=39

Very early settlers of Canada!

Adele

PS. Is that Mary Ann's mother on line 43?

BeeJay
29-05-2009, 1:16 AM
Mary Anne’s death if you don’t have it:

Amherst Island, Lennox and Addington, Ontario
Died 5 June 1921
Mary Anne BROWN, age 94, widow, born Ireland
Father’s name John GIBSON, born Ireland, mother’s name not known
Informant Geo BROWN, grandson, of Stella
Place of burial: Glenn Wood

:)

JeanF
29-05-2009, 3:24 AM
Thanks for the info, I have no idea what I am doing so I hope this is the right way to answer you.
I really appreciate the help.
Do you know where Samuel was buried? Also I assume they both immigrated together, do you know what ship they came over on and what port they came in Canada?
Your right about Mary Ann's mother, but if you noticed half of the names are Gibson. So from line 30-37 is Gibson and the rest Brown, Then half of the Gibson names are the same as what I have for the brown names. I have not checked birth dates to see if age wise they match. Again thank you.
JeanF

JeanF
29-05-2009, 3:36 AM
BeeJay
Thank for helping, all information is good and helpful. It is just sorting it all out. That makes Mary Ann a widow for 16 years. At that era living to 94 was great. I did not have her father's name and Geo Brown,grandson of Stella, who is Stella?
Thanks so much
JeanF

BeeJay
29-05-2009, 4:03 AM
Hi Jean,

Stella was a village on Amherst Island. In the 1901 census posted above by Adele you can see 'Stella village' written in the left margin.

Mary Anne was buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, village of Stella, township of Amherst Island. There's a good chance her husband was buried there too.

BeeJay
29-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Jean, it looks like two of Samuel’s daughters married two brothers, in Kingston, Ontario:

BURNS, Charles, 21, single, of Amherst Island, son of Matthew Burns and Fanny JACOBS married in Kingston, Oct 29, 1878 to BROWN, Annie, 20, single, of Amherst Island, daughter of Samuel Brown and Mary Ann GIBSON.

BURNS, Bernard, 26, single, of Amherst Island, son of Matthew Burns and Fanny JACOBS married in Kingston, Oct 29, 1878 to BROWN, Helen, 26, single, of Amherst Island, daughter of Samuel Brown and Mary Ann GIBSON.

I found this on a website called ‘Island Families’, which has a lot of info about families on Amherst Island as well as its early history, cemeteries, photos, etc.

JeanF
29-05-2009, 4:52 PM
BeeJay,
I have very little information and what I do have is probably wrong. I am just getting into this and it is absorbing me,and very exciting. I was up until 3am reading and writing.
I have no idea how to file all this,or where to start. I will get there. Right now gathering the information is great.
I have a Ellen Brown-b-1850 and you have a Helen, so I would go with Helen, also I have Margaret Brown-b-1856,married a Henry Burns. I don't know how close that is.
That would make three sisters and three brother. Then a Hannah-b-1664 who married a George Sherman. Is any of my information close to being right?
JeanF

BeeJay
29-05-2009, 6:04 PM
Hi Jean,

You're right - it is three brothers married to three Brown sisters!

Frontenac County, Henry BURNS, 40, Widow, Farmer, born Amherst Island, residence South Fredericksburgh, son of Matthew BURNS (deceased) & Fanny BURNS (deceased?) married Margaret BROWN, 31, born Amherst Island, residence Amherst Island, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ann BROWN, Witnesses Hannah SHERMAN, George E. SHERMAN, both of Amherst Island, Sept. 13, 1887, at Kingston, St. George’s Cathedral.

And here's Hannah:

Frontenac County, George SHERMAN, 23, born United States, residence Amherst Island, farmer, son of James & Jane Newman SHERMAN, married Hannah BROWN,19, born Canada, residence Amherst Island, daughter of Samuel BROWN & Mary Ann GIBSON BROWN, Witnesses Alexander ASHLEY & Mary McCLEMENT, July 12,1883, at Kingston.

It sounds like you're having fun with this family tree research!

JeanF
30-05-2009, 2:26 AM
BeeJay
Thanks for the help, I have tried to get into the site"Island Families", but no luck so far. It has taken me all over except Canada. I will keep trying.
JeanF

BeeJay
30-05-2009, 2:58 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.amherstisland.on.ca/

Choose "Island Genealogy" from the menu on the left, then at the bottom of the bulleted list you'll see "The Islands - Genealogy and History Website."

The Quick Links on the left list Amherst Island, Biographies, Cemeteries, etc.