PDA

View Full Version : The Harris Families of Tingrith

rasmusseneric
28-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I am hoping for some info on the ancestors of Francis Harris and his wife Sarah (nee Axem) who lived all the married lives in Tingrith.

Francis was born in 1781 and died in 1842 in Tingrith.
Sarah was born abt 1786 in Bedfordshire.
They married on 13 Jul 1801 in Maulden.
They had nine (?) children. All were baptised at Maulden
The one child I am following, Daniel (baptised 3 Jul 1819) lived all his life in Tingrith and died on 4 Sep 1878 at Eversholt.

Thanks,

Eric
PS I started the thread on the Harris Families of Westoning. They were the wrong branch.

rasmusseneric
29-05-2009, 1:45 AM
Hi 'Finbar',

You may well be right. I followed your lead and, indeed, I found Sarah Axham as well as a Sarah Axem. I tend toward Axham.

I suspect neither Francis nor Sarah could read - Daniel, their son, could not - so it is probable the parents could not. Hence to a recording clerk, Axham and Axem are almost the same - the person being recorded would not know anyway. I have an 1875 Oz marriage certificate which gives the groom's parents' names as Nool (Newell) and the bride's as Hospal (Horspool).

The 1841 Census gives William as 60 (b1781?) and Sarah as 55 (b 1786?). I have heard the early census gave ages to the nearest 5 or so years so these results are not proof positive.

I may just have to wait for more replies to confirm or discount.

Eric

davidcarca
29-05-2009, 10:15 AM
The 1841 rounded down ages over 15 to the nearest 5 below, so 60 covered an actual age range of 60-64, and 55 covered 55-59

But all we'll do is the same as you can do - look at the IGI! Then if necessary look at the transcript to see if there's any extra detail. See my post on your Westoning thread - Francis had an elder brother George who married an Axem from Ampthill. Brothers marrying sisters perhaps?

David

Angelaj
30-05-2009, 9:43 PM
Just wondering, you say that Francis and Sarah's children were all baptised in Maulden. How do you know that the couple spent all their married lives in Tingrith?

Angelaj

rasmusseneric
31-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi,

The 1841 Census listed the "Place" as Tingrith. Francis died a year later so I assumed he died in Tingrith

Eric

rasmusseneric
31-05-2009, 5:03 AM
Hi David,

My problem is that I don't know the district and it's layout.

We have Daniel saying in 1851 Census he was born Eversholt; in 1871 he was born at Maulden. He was married at Tingrith. (Certificate sighted)

As regards Francis, Daniel's father, he was born at Maulden.

As regards Francis' parents - Axham or Axem - their children was baptised at Ampthill.

Are all these places quite close or too far apart to be appropriate?

As a example:- My wife was born at Greenslopes, we now live at Sinnamon Park but we shop at Mt Ommaney. I was born in Railway Estate, my son was born at Bowen Hills but now lives at Bardon. His son goes to school at Ashgrove, his daughter at Indooroopilly. All but one of these places are in the city of Brisbane - can you guess which one? I'm sure you can see my point. In Oz we don't use Parishes and Counties as England does - 99.9% of Australians would not know which Parish or County they live
in - we live in Cities, Towns and suburbs.

What I need is for someone who knows the area to say "Yes, they are close and sensible" or "No - I can't see that happening"

Eric

davidcarca
31-05-2009, 5:31 AM
Try google maps at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl Just put Ampthill in the search box at the top and you'll get a map of the area

All these places are close together. Maulden is a mile east of Ampthill; Eversholt and Tingrith are less than a mile apart about 4 miles SW of Ampthill.

So - Yes, it's all perfectly feasible geographically

Francis was buried age 64 at Tingrith on 6 Feb 1842, so probably died there.

David

rasmusseneric
31-05-2009, 6:17 AM
Thanks David

Eric

Angelaj
31-05-2009, 1:44 PM
Hi,
People are just as likely to be buried in their birth parish as they are in their last place of residence, which aren't always the same place. I think I'd try to find their surviving children on the 1851 census, and later (which should give place of birth). If they give their place of birth as Tingrith then that would point to the children being baptised in a different parish to the one the family lived in. Unusual for this to happen with all the children but not impossible. If the children list their place of birth as Maulden then it's much more likely that the family lived in Maulden, not Tingrith and Francis was buried in his birth parish.
I did find this burial in Maulden; 28th Feb. 1812 Sarah dau. of Francis and Sarah Harris.

If you can establish where the family were this will make it esasier to find out if there are other documents that might help you with your research.
Angelaj

rasmusseneric
31-05-2009, 8:56 PM
Thanks,

I'll do some more digging!

Eric

rasmusseneric
01-06-2009, 5:13 AM
Hi Angelaj,

I have been 'digging' with little result.
Could you tell me how you found Sarah's death in 1812?
Actually, I've learnt more these last few days than in the last two years.

Eric