PDA

View Full Version : I don't like my name. How do I change?

spison
27-05-2009, 2:40 AM
Hello,
While I actually do like it I would prefer something a little less obvious. How do I go to something else. I'm sure this is obvious ..... but not to me. :confused:

Jane

spison
27-05-2009, 6:58 AM
Sorry, didn't realize that when I registered - mustn't have read well enough.
Jane

Ladkyis
27-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Most people will assume that it is a screen name, perhaps an ancestor or something. There are lots of people on here using their real names, they don't seem to have any trouble. I would cross it off the worry list and do the imprtant stuff - by that I mean ask us about your ancestors

ETA Ooh just noticed that you have Newcastle Australia as the place you live. Anywhere enar where the Iron works used to be? My husband works in the Newport Factory where a lot of the men that went to Australia with Lysaghts came from

Red Kite
27-05-2009, 10:42 AM
There are lots of people on here using their real names

And lots who aren't, and for some good reasons! .... if someone is uncomfortable about using their real name on an open forum, then I feel they should be allowed to change.

MarkJ
27-05-2009, 1:26 PM
And lots who aren't, and for some good reasons! .... if someone is uncomfortable about using their real name on an open forum, then I feel they should be allowed to change.

They are - as explained by Bo Peep above. You PM the Admin and request the change, giving a reason.
Note that the Moderators cannot change user names.

Mark

tomg
27-05-2009, 6:53 PM
I would have thought that the owner of the system would have a vested interest in allowing perhaps even encouraging people to change from their "real" name.

I am under the impression that if you hold data on an identifiable person then you are bound by the Data Protection act.

Personally, I would not want to have that responsibility.

tom.

spison
27-05-2009, 9:16 PM
ETA Ooh just noticed that you have Newcastle Australia as the place you live. Anywhere enar where the Iron works used to be? My husband works in the Newport Factory where a lot of the men that went to Australia with Lysaghts came from[/QUOTE]

Yes Ladykis (I'm sorry if I have that wrong but this is my 3rd start to this reply and I lose it when I go back to your responses - still learning or bad memory)
My father's family (JONES & THOMAS) came to Newcastle to work there. They lived in 'Pommytown' which was a colloquial term for the area where the Lysaghts workers lived in Mayfield, a suburb of Newcastle. Only a month or two back mum & dad went to the reunion (I noted that someone mentioned it on the forum) and met up with all the workers. Dad was the only member of his family born here. The rest came from Monmouthshire and Shropshire. I can't tell you much about it but I can ask dad and get back to you with anything you want to know.
Jane

ChristineR
28-05-2009, 7:15 AM
this is my 3rd start to this reply and I lose it when I go back to your responses

No need to press the back button, if you scroll down from the reply box, you will see the responses and the poster names, the last one will be on top. :)

ChristineR
28-05-2009, 7:26 AM
I forgot to say, send Bo-Peep a private message and she will probably agree to change your user name.

To send a message, scroll back up to where she has posted in this thread, click on her user name (Bo-Beep) and then select 'send a private message'.

:)