PDA

View Full Version : Court hearings

Bettyanne
26-05-2009, 6:43 PM
We have a relative who spent time in prison around 1956, how long do we have to wait until we can search records of the hearing?

stickymone
26-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Bettyanne,

Most prison records tend to have the 100 year rule applied to them, I suspect you would prefer not to wait that long:D

I presume you relative is no longer with us, we prefer not to discuss living relatives on the Forum. Local papers are always a good source of info if you have a time frame

If it was a Central Criminal Court matter the Old Bailey Online is worth a look

Why not post your relatives details and we'll have a bash;)

Stickymone

Colin Moretti
27-05-2009, 7:50 AM
See this guidance note (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253) from TNA

Colin

Peter Goodey
27-05-2009, 7:54 AM
Do you know the court where the trial took place?

If it was at the Assizes or the Central Criminal Court, for example, records are likely to be at the National Archives. Records of lesser courts are likely to be held locally.

If you don't know the court, newspaper reports should help. In fact some people find that newspaper reports tell all them all they want to know.

Bettyanne
27-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you I will try a lookup with the archives Bettyanne

Bettyanne
27-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes it was at the Old Bailey I have a newspaper report but would like to know more Bettyanne

Bettyanne
27-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes he is no longer with us, as it is such a long time ago we would like to know what really happened, he was in Parkhurst, but I have not been able to find anything out about that. Thanks Bettyanne