PDA

View Full Version : Where is Wenor or Wenos???

spison
25-05-2009, 9:50 PM
Hi! I'm a newie from Australia who has hit a brickwall.

I am researching Jane Harry. She was born about 1809 and had a sister Mary. By 1841 they were both married and living in Stow cum Quy, Cambridgeshire. Jane became an Ison and Mary became a Burling. They arrived in Quy from Cheam, Surrey as maids to the new wife of the Quy squire, Susannah Martin. Their parents had probably died by then. On the 1851C they are both registered as born in from either Wenor or Wenos, Wales. When Jane came to Australia in 1856 she stated her place of birth as Cardiff, Glamorganshire and that at that stage her parents, John and Mary Harry were both dead.

I've googled this place and found nothing except that it's a greeting (I think) or it's in Germany or somewhere odd like that. So where the b***** h*** is it? I've wondered if it is a farm or locality name. |help|

Kerrywood
25-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Jane, and welcome |wave|

Could it be Wenvoe (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Wenvoe/), perhaps?

Kerrywood

spison
26-05-2009, 6:07 AM
Thanks Kerrywood and Finbar,
I'm sure the 1851C says Wenor/s, Glamorganshire. That wasn't thorough of me was it? Sorry! It was only when Jane came to Australia that she says Cardiff, Glamorganshire. I assumed Wenor/s was near Cardiff. I noted that there was a Wenvoe on the 1851C for Wales. Where is that? Is it in Glamorganshire? Could the boundaries have changed between her birth and the 1851C? Could it be Wernos, Breconshire? Is it close to Cardiff? I'm not really even sure whether knowing where it is will help. Where could I look next as her whole family seem to be gone apart from the 2 girls. I suppose I'm just wallowing in total confusion here. I may have hit the end of the road.

The only other info I have on her in England is that she named her 2nd son Llewellyn. There's only one Llewellyn Ison on Ancestry so you could look and see what you think it says. 1841C only shows her birth as Wales and when I initially looked the family wasn't on ancestry for 1841. I think they were omitted during the computerization. I only found them by accident.

Thanks for your suggestions. One day I might get to help someone too. (Sigh)

Peter Goodey
26-05-2009, 6:29 AM
Wen* and Cardiff suggests Wenvoe to me as well. Wenvoe is midway between the airport and the city.

But why speculate? You can search the online non-conformist records. The parish registers can be borrowed through the Mormons.

spison
26-05-2009, 7:07 AM
Dear Peter,
This sounds like it might be it. But.... What's a non conformist record and where is it online? Still very slowly trying to work out the difference between reply to and quick reply.

Ms Tarfgi
26-05-2009, 11:34 AM
There is a Thomas Harry living in St Lythans, about a mile from Wenvoe in 1841.

1841 Wales Census about Thomas Harry
Name: Thomas Harry
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1793
Where born: Glamorgan, Wales
Civil Parish: St Lythan
Hundred: Dinas Powis
County/Island: Glamorgan
Street address: View Image
Registration district: Cardiff
Sub-registration district: St Nicholas
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Name
Thomas Harry 48
Anne Harry 46
William Harry 19
Thomas Harry 16
John Harry 12
Richard Harry 10

He could be a brother or cousin of your Jane.

spison
26-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Thankyou everyone who has guided me. I'm having a lot of trouble orientating places in Wales as opposed to New South Wales. Yes it does appear Wenvoe is it and Thomas might be a good lead. I'll go investigate the censuses. Are the non-conformist records the same as the IGI?

Ms Tarfgi
27-05-2009, 8:22 AM
The Non-conformist records are the records, mainly of baptisms I think, of the Methodists, Baptists and other non-conformist churches. The IGI does have a lot of them. The records were not well-kept originally and a lot were poorly archived unfortunately. Good luck!

Ladkyis
27-05-2009, 9:19 AM
Most people assume that non-conformist records are the records kept by the Methodists and the Bible Christians and other protestant "chapel" sects. This catagory also includes the Roman Catholic church, the Jewish faith and any other religious denomination that was NOT Church of England. They did not conform to the State religion.

Copies of registers for a lot of the smaller chapels in Wales were not kept by a central authority but by the individual ministers and some of them forgot to leave the registers when they moved on to their next place.

Enquire at the County record offices - join the local (to the placve you are searching) Family History Society and tap into their knowledge of where the records are kept and find out what they have transcribed. Glamorgan FHS have done huge numbers of registers and their stuff is all available on Parish Chest. Just click on the parishchest logo at the top of this page and oh, go here
http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D166&breadcrumb=Family+History+Societies%2C+etc.:Glamor gan+FHS
Glamorgan members are really good and it isn't too expensive to join. You get an interesting journal four times a year and the chance to put any queries into the journal and get answers from the people on the ground.

Sue Mackay
27-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I have been away for five days and have only just seen this. I agree that it is probably Wenvoe - a couple of miles from where I live. There was a Jane Harry, daughter of John, baptised in Wenvoe on 6 Feb 1812. This I got from the Glamorgan FHS baptism index, but there are oodles and oodles of Harry entries so it is not immediately easy to pick up any siblings. if you take Ladkyis' advice, however, and join the Glamorgan FHS, they have a free look-up service in their databases for members and can more easily put family groups together. They could probably also tell you if there are any other likely Glamorgan parishes where a Jane and Mary Harry were baptised to the same family.

Ms Tarfgi
27-05-2009, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Ladkyis;286257]Most people assume that non-conformist records are the records kept by the Methodists and the Bible Christians and other protestant "chapel" sects. This catagory also includes the Roman Catholic church, the Jewish faith and any other religious denomination that was NOT Church of England. They did not conform to the State religion.

Although originally Catholics and Jews were classified as non-conformists, today the term is generally taken to mean PROTESTANT dissenters from the Established church. This site has separate forums for Catholics, Non-conformists and Jews!

spison
27-05-2009, 9:28 PM
I've just woken up and am taking time to realize how much happens overnight!
Thanks again Ladkyis and Ms Tarfgi I actually had a satisfying time yesterday Googling and I now have a clue as to where to join and what I should ask Glamorganshire HS. I think this should have been a new thread (and the one previously Ladkyis) but not sure whether to bother.
Jane

spison
27-05-2009, 9:32 PM
Dear Sue,
Just goes to show what a rapid and unobservant skimmer I am. I missed your gem. This could very easily be her. Glamorganshire HS is it!
Jane