PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Faces

Hugh Thompson
25-05-2009, 3:00 AM
I found this site for that might be of use to forum members mainly in the US, could be worth a look for old family photos.
Hugh:)
Ancient Faces
Free family photo sharing community

ancient faces dot com

susan-y
25-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi Hugh...

That is an interesting site.... haven't found any of my few American relatives on there...yet! There are certainly some really great photos and someone should be very happy to see them.

Thanks.:D

Sue

Squaredancer
26-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I've had a look at this site - think I may have found a relative, BUT when I try to register I get a message saying there is a problem with the site's security certificate. Tried work computer as well as home so it's not just my security software being over-zealous - I am disappointed |banghead|

Hugh Thompson
26-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Is there an email address that you can contact them on,
Hugh.:)

Chris Doran
26-05-2009, 11:50 AM
DeadFred (one word) is another similar site, mainly but not exclusively US.

Aislin
26-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I've had a look at this site - think I may have found a relative, BUT when I try to register I get a message saying there is a problem with the site's security certificate. Tried work computer as well as home so it's not just my security software being over-zealous - I am disappointed |banghead|

I've never had a problem with that site, but I am already registered. What surname are you looking for?

Squaredancer
26-05-2009, 9:00 PM
Hi

I’m researching Moffat. I was particularly interested in this page
ancientfaces dot com/research/photo/405122 because the person who put it there gave the description “A photo presumably taken prior to Great Grandfather William Moffat migrating to Australia at the time of the gold rush”. I have a great-great uncle of that name who went to Australia in the early 1850s – I’m not sure of the exact date as I haven’t found him on any passenger lists, but he was married there in 1854. Not sure if I would get an answer from this person, however; he put the picture on the site on Feb 13th 2009 but hasn’t responded to an enquiry made by another interested person on Feb 28th 2009. |shakehead

I have sent an email to the site but so far haven’t had a reply. I know I could go ahead and register, despite the security warning, but the message I got mentioned the possibility of nasty things getting into my computer… :mad:

eric.gills
27-05-2009, 8:23 AM
I have just received an E-Mail from Daniel J Pinna the problems regarding the security certificate have now been fixed.

Regards
Eric

Squaredancer
28-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I have just received an E-Mail from Daniel J Pinna the problems regarding the security certificate have now been fixed.

Regards
Eric

Unfortunately they haven't - I just tried to register and got the same warning message.

Squaredancer
21-07-2009, 5:49 PM
Tried again today - registered with no problem :):):)

v.wells
21-07-2009, 5:55 PM
Good news Squaredancer! And is that William Moffat yours? :D

Squaredancer
21-07-2009, 6:10 PM
Hi V

Don't know yet - I've just sent a message via the site to the person who put the photo on there so it's fingers crossed that he'll reply. :)

v.wells
21-07-2009, 7:33 PM
I found the site to be interesting after registering, but of surnames I have looked at, none say where they were born. The same goes for gravesite photos - no mention of location. Don't know how to search by place if there is such a method.

One name I punched in led me to free genealogy dot com which is not free - it is ppv. Very annoying as I am now on a diet of no money! |nopity| Will have to wait a while before I visit that again.