PDA

View Full Version : Parish Registers of Slebech

robertg
21-05-2009, 4:12 PM
Hello I am seeking information on where to purchase Parish Registers of Slebech pre 1800 all I can find is after 1810 . Does SKS know of a site where they can be purchased as the IGI does not cover the parish either

Jan1954
21-05-2009, 8:32 PM
Hi there,

According to GENUKI (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Slebech/), the parish records for Slebech are held at the National Library of Wales. They cover Christenings (1788-1806, 1813-1925), Marriages (1762-1957, 1960-71) Banns (1757-1810, 1874-5, 1941-3) and Burials (1782-1807, 1813-1972).

However, there are microfilmed copies at the Pembrokeshire Records Office and it could be worth contacting them to see if they would be willing to sell you copies.

I hope that this helps. :)

robertg
22-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Thank You for the information I will give them a try.

Bob

Orielbenfro
23-05-2009, 4:18 PM
I can search on your behalf at the Rec. Off. if required.
Rgds
Owen V.

robertg
24-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Hello Owen I am seeking if William Rees is shown in the records with his Parents any cost let me know and I will reimburse you .

Bob

Orielbenfro
16-06-2009, 9:41 PM
I am seeking if William Rees is shown in the records with his Parents

Bob I was up at the Rec Off today and the catalogue shows that they only hold Baptism Registers post 1813.

It is lightly that the thread that shows the NLoW having Baptism from 1788, probably refer to B.T.'s only and therefore are not duplicated at the Rec Off. After all BT's are only dupes of the originals if you follow me.

The bright side is that I am aware there is a policy of NLoW now returning all registers back to their original counties, and that this has increased the number and periods of registers held by the Rec Off at the Castle/Ex Prison. Alas I'm pretty sure this does not cover BT's.

Where do we proceed from here? Have you looked at Wills and or LTA's?
Rgds
Orielbenfro

robertg
16-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello Owen

Pity about the births only being for after 1813. I have not tried Wills or LTA?
could you explain LTA. Also How do I find the wills and LTA, perhaps when John Halsteds mother returns she could ask John if He found anything in his search. I am sure it was John who gave me Benjamin and Rosina. Myfanwy is going to a Wedding in July another branch of the same tree who moved to Port Talbot perhaps someone there has researched the Family I know that William Benjamin Gascoigne's Gdaughter is researching the Family. A Question where would the Parish Records be held as one of the family might be able to pay a visit. Or perhaps the Society of Geneaologists . I know John said he was going to London to do some Research. I wonder if John Knows that there is a Halstead search in I think it is the G,O,O,N,s that were left Money for research into the name.

Bob

Hugh Thompson
17-06-2009, 2:13 AM
Hi Bob, I had a search of the Internet Archives and found this book which has quite a few references to the name Rees that may or may not be of interest to you.
Regards,
Hugh.:)

The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes

http://www.archive.org/details/historyofhaverfo00brow

robertg
18-06-2009, 7:15 AM
Hello Hugh

Thank you so much for the book site, I tried several format's then saved it to the desktop as a PDF file . Now to read and digest.

Again Thank you

Bob

Orielbenfro
18-06-2009, 2:39 PM
could you explain LTA. Also How do I find the wills and LTA,

LTA = Land Tax Assessement. For Pembs they are listed by Hundred and by parish where they still exist and in general cover dates circa 1780 to 1833, for an example go to the following link (you may recognise the author). I believe there may be copies made at the time held at Kew.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html

For a general overview of wills refer to the following link, post 1858 are I believe now at Kew, before they where at Somerset House Probate Office.
Pre 1858 for Pembs proven at the E.C.C. of David’s I can assist you there.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/wills/?WT.hp=Wills

Beware Pembrokeshire Wills could be proven in any E.C.C., the more land you had in different counties as well as Pembrokeshire the more difficult it becomes to find just which E.C.C. you ancestors will was proven in. If you wanted just to “keep up with the jones” then you had your will probated at the E.C.C. of Canterbury, no matter where you lived or how well (or poor) off you were. Pembs wills I know of are proven at Hereford, Chepstow, Llandaff etc., there is an excellent book called “Wills and there where abouts”, not light reading.

Original ECC of St David’s wills are at the NLoW, however we do have extracts which is the same as the original but with out all the thee’s and thou’s and by the grace of good etc., they list all important info, relationships, land, names etc., but do not show eg “I leave my best cow to Uncle Joe” or I leave 1 shilling to my son David ~ a sure sign that my son David had incurred the wrath of the testator and which the testator had never forgotten or forgave even in death.

Slebech Parish Registers are at the Rec Off except for those still in use which remain at the church, although in this case the church is closed and lightly to fall down at any time, it is currently fenced off to access (in theory anyway), did you know Emma Hamilton’s (mistress of Nelson) husband is buried there. B.T.’s I believe are at the NLoW, copies of either or both may be at the S.O.G.

I have never heard of money being left for someone at the G.O.O.N.S.’s to research a name. I was a member back in the early ‘80’s but very quickly left. IMHO the initials form a very apt description. I call my own efforts “A Single Surname Research” not that it means anything, but looks good with my own designed logo.

Hope this assists.
Rgds
Orielbenfro

robertg
19-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Hello Owen
I do not think that William Rees had anything to leave in a will. He was fired by the post office for being drunk on Christmas Eve and failing to deliver the mail . I went to the Postal Museum in London to check their records on William and also William Gascoigne (my fathers brother) who started as a post boy in Pembroke and retired as Postmaster General of Nigeria. I am going to try and trace the rest of the Rees family born to William and Lucy in St Twynnels as perhaps one of their descendants might have some information. I received information today on James Rees bapt St Twynnels in 1851 who on the 1881 is a carpenter married and living in Pembroke Dock. That is why I started thinking of the other children. Do you have access to the 1841 census for William and Lucy I cannot find a copy and am sure I had one at sometime.

Bob

robertg
19-06-2009, 6:23 PM
Hello Owen
I received an email today giving the Rees marriages in Slebech starting in 1762.
William Rees to Martha Price 1770
William Rees to Rachel Williams 1789
James Rees 1807 m Mary Lewis
John Rees 1810 m Margaret Davies
I do noy know why the bottom two have the date after the grooms name unless it is their year of birth. My question is there a naming pattern in Wales the same as Scotland. The first two marriages both could fit, Williamsfirst daughter was named Martha could be after his mother the second marriage was to a Williams. Your thoughts would be welcome. I have James Rees marriage in Pembroke Mar quarter 1876 to Catherine Harries of Walton, Pembs. Benjamin Rees age 45 m Penelope Evans age 54 of Llanboidy, Carmarthen. I am finding harder to find the female marriages.

Bob

daisycakes
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Hello Owen
I do not think that William Rees had anything to leave in a will. He was fired by the post office for being drunk on Christmas Eve and failing to deliver the mail . I went to the Postal Museum in London to check their records on William and also William Gascoigne (my fathers brother) who started as a post boy in Pembroke and retired as Postmaster General of Nigeria. I am going to try and trace the rest of the Rees family born to William and Lucy in St Twynnels as perhaps one of their descendants might have some information. I received information today on James Rees bapt St Twynnels in 1851 who on the 1881 is a carpenter married and living in Pembroke Dock. That is why I started thinking of the other children. Do you have access to the 1841 census for William and Lucy I cannot find a copy and am sure I had one at sometime.

Bob

Hi I have just come across your post about William Rees. Don't know if this is of any use to you but ...I have a William S Rees as a witness on my Gt grandfathers marriage cert. The other witness is O? G Mathias. The marriage was in Pembroke Dock 27th November 1886

Ann D:)

robertg
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
It was not my William Rees as he was dead by that date.
Bob