PDA

View Full Version : Irish Wills, where and how please.

Spangle
20-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry to be a pain again all, but I'm confused again!

My elusive G G G Grandfather, I have just discovered, left a will, which means I may be able to verify who his wife was. I am assuming that this is his will and not one made by his son of the same name, who died a couple of years after the father. Please tell me that the date below is when the will went to Probate, not when it was made, as that could indicate either man!!

The information which I got from another site is this:

Testator Name Kohler, Charles
Status/Occupation
County Dublin
Parish
Address 7 Sackville Street Lower, Dublin
Date of Death
Date of Will 3 May 1856
Date of Grant
Where proved/granted Prerogative Court
Granted To
Executor Last Name
Executor First Name
Executor Address
Document Type Administration Will Annexed
Document Status Copy
Notes
NA Ref LEC/3246
Volume Name

I have found out what "Administration Will Annexed" means and if I am not mistaken the will should still exist. Clearly there is a reference but who do I apply to? Can I do so by post as I am in England? Is that reference and the name and address, plus rough year of death (give or take a couple either side), sufficient?

I looked at the Irish Probate website and came away more befuddled than I was when I started! If anyone has had experience of obtaining an Irish will and can help me out I would be very, very grateful.

(And I promise to buzz off and stop pestering you all after this, honest!).

Peter Goodey
21-05-2009, 6:43 AM
I looked at the Irish Probate website

Didn't they go up in smoke?

Have you looked at GenUKI?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/#Probate

Spangle
21-05-2009, 7:27 AM
Oh my goodness!

Thank you Peter. From the sound of it, all I will ever be able to do is wonder.

Spangle
21-05-2009, 9:00 AM
Have you seen this?

Irish Records Index Vol.1 (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P18911&pageOffset=0) - Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858

I hadn't Bo-Peep, thank you. It begs another stupid question - is it merely a list of wills (e.g. "John Smith of Dublin, will date 1856, occupation smith") or does it give the details written within the individual wills? :confused: